If They Could Redesign The Superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat38a

Engineer
So, if Amtrak could go back and do it again, what are some things they would change or improve on the Superliners? One thing I observed on the CS and EB is that every coach car had an attendant. Maybe add automatic doors to reduce labor? Also, those windy stairs replaced with the straight ones used on the corridor bi-levels? Those stairs are a pain to try and get your luggage upstairs especially the elderly. Last year, one lady in font of me almost fell backwards while trying to carry a small bag up the stairs. I was behind her going up and blocked the fall.

- Bike racks on the lower level, like the California cars.

- Status update screens in the cars, with real time info about what's going on.

- Someplace other than the cafe car for staff to camp out.

None of those would require much, if any, redesigning. It's mostly just better management of existing people, resources and expectations.

I like the idea about automatic doors; you'd need automatic steps or better matching of train and platform heights. That's not rocket science, though, should be doable too.

The automatic doors would also need some kind of thing built-in so they could be opened manually in case of an emergency.

I like the idea of a train tracker screen in each car, sort of like the flight trackers on airplanes.

In the sleepers I'd like to eliminate all the rattles that keep you awake at night, mainly the doors between the bedrooms. I think the bikes will be addressed when the new Viewliner baggage cars are added to Supeliner trains. They have hang-up bike racks.

The stairs are an issue as one becomes older and looses strength.

At least for the Roomettes, sliding doors that have "catches" so that when they are open, they stay open. (I do not enjoy being "entertained" by watching my door move one way and then another.)

Somehow, someway, make a bit more room for carry-on luggage within the Roomette.

And, please, please, please insure that the PA system that is installed really works so that guests can actually hear 100% of the time as to what is being said!

I think the bikes will be addressed when the new Viewliner baggage cars are added to Supeliner trains. They have hang-up bike racks.
Probably only a partial fix, although that's better than nothing. It appears that bikes will only be allowed on/off at stations with baggage service, although I don't know that for sure.

I started a project a while back, admittedly for Trainz, of my own overhaul of the Amtrak brand. From the design of train cars to the logo text. One of the first things I looked at was the Superliner cars & what retrofitting I could do to make them better.

Some of the basic improvements (and I'll admit I haven't thought about every car yet. include automatic sliding doors both in the LL vestibule (these can be retrofitted to pop-out and slide along the car, like a minivan) and on the upper level between cars. New diaphrams which would dampen the noise levels & temperature variance considerably more then the current ones. General improved interior looks, etc. If you want to look over some of what I've done you can see it here:

http://s4.zetaboards.com/amtkz/topic/10262453/

A foot note for TiBike: A lot of Superliner trains have a place for the crew to camp out on the LL of the Transition Sleeper, they just for whatever reason don't.

Screens throughout the train that display the current route status. Like these I took pictures of in Europe: https://goo.gl/photos/YBmbar3siVHjroFy8 couldalso display messages for the passengers, such as "The cafe car is now open" so even if the PA system is still crap you can get the msg another way.

peter

- Bike racks on the lower level, like the California cars.

- Status update screens in the cars, with real time info about what's going on.

- Someplace other than the cafe car for staff to camp out.

None of those would require much, if any, redesigning. It's mostly just better management of existing people, resources and expectations.

I like the idea about automatic doors; you'd need automatic steps or better matching of train and platform heights. That's not rocket science, though, should be doable too.
I've seen steps pop out on Metrolink trains when needed and also on KTX / TGV derived trains. Also, regarding the crew hanging out, my observation from my last trip was that WAY too many revenue space were blocked for them. Does a coach car attendant really 4 seats blocked for themselves? Also 6 booths were blocked off in the dining car, with 2 used for storage and the rest used for crew to hangout on while passengers who wanted to eat in the dining car had to wait for a table. I think with automatic doors, you can eliminate most of the camping out problem. No offense to coach attendants but with automatic doors, you really don't need one for each car.

In the sleepers I'd like to eliminate all the rattles that keep you awake at night, mainly the doors between the bedrooms. I think the bikes will be addressed when the new Viewliner baggage cars are added to Supeliner trains. They have hang-up bike racks.
I think the rattles are just poor upkeep. We had a problem on the CS but no problem at all on the EB. The CS was not refurbished but the EB sleeper was refurbished with LED lights and no rattles. On the CS we had to show two towels between the door and bathroom module to keep it silent.

I hope the much needed Superliner IIIs have top bunks with Windows similar to the Viewliner Rooms, that the Bathrooms and Shower have more room and the twist faucets as opposed to the levers that spray everything when used!

Also there needs to be more Sightseer Lounges included if a Superliner III order ever happens! ( maybe our Grandchildren will see them??!!!)

I'm probably going to get my teeth kicked in for this, but I would eliminate the upper level and make them a single level car. Stairs, schmairs!

And this mornings

I suggest a wheelchair lift from the lower level to the upper inside the coaches to allow ADA accessibility to the entire train

Yesterday, I suggested redesigning the AC/Heating, the insulation between rooms, Improve the door mechanisms so the doors stay open or closed. On Viewliner vs. Superliner, going single level significantly reduced the number of revenue rooms per sleeper, plus the SL has additional space for mechanical, potable water, and black water.

I'm thinkin' an overhaul of the bathrooms, we have to have come up with better ways to design a tiny bathroom since the '70s. (And one that doesn't clog as often/easy).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, some silly improvements (because me):

-fire pole from upper level to lower.

-three words: hot tub car.

-rooftop bar on top of said car. (Those who've had too much will be taken out by the next tunnel)

-de-stressing puppies are released into the aisles every time a delay is announced.

-can the locomotive have a special smokestack that emits bubbles?

-rooftop bar on top of said car. (Those who've had too much will be taken out by the next tunnel)

-de-stressing puppies are released into the aisles every time a delay is announced.

Co-signed: me

Co-signed: me
+1

I think the bikes will be addressed when the new Viewliner baggage cars are added to Supeliner trains. They have hang-up bike racks.
Probably only a partial fix, although that's better than nothing. It appears that bikes will only be allowed on/off at stations with baggage service, although I don't know that for sure.
If you know anything at all, I'd love to hear about it. My money is on the bike racks becoming the next sightseer lounge wet bar, a nice amenity that never gets used.

I agree with most. My only question is - who cleans up after the puppies?

Anyway, my two biggest wants:

1 - A/C that works.

2 - Windows for the upper bunk like the Viewliners.

See? They really are bigger!

Smaller want:

How about if they created something like a food court at the mall, you know, a concessionaires car? Mmmm, could you imagine the scent of fresh Cinnnabuns and hot Tim Hortons coffee wafting down the aisles? Just think of a mini airport food court like you see at Charlotte, DFW or ATL. Even a Panera Bread or Au Bon Pain for quick sandwiches and soup/salads! A whole car devoted to fast, but good food!

I know there's an issue of liability, but I really wish we could crack a window, especially when it gets too warm. Sometimes, those fresh air stops are few and far between, and it would be nice to breathe fresh air.

They could design the windows with a stop, similar to hotel windows on high floors, that would prevent you from opening it more than an inch or two.

If you know anything at all, I'd love to hear about it. My money is on the bike racks becoming the next sightseer lounge wet bar, a nice amenity that never gets used.
That's not the experience in California. The Surfliner had to start taking reservations for bike racks because of demand, and bikes are nearly as common on the Capitol Corridor. I've heard similar stories about the Cascade. Demand for bike space on Caltrain is so high that they've added special bike cars.

All three of those trains make it extremely convenient for passengers to bring bikes, for free. If management or crew on the LD trains make it difficult or nickel and dime people for it, like they do now, it won't be as popular but people will still roll up with bikes, at least on the west coast.

Bikes are crazy popular in New England and the mid-Atlantic, too, so they'll be used heavily here. Dunno about the Midwest.

I actually agree that single-level trains are better, but taking "bilevel" as the base assumption, any Superliner redesign should be based on the Surfliners, pretty much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there's an issue of liability, but I really wish we could crack a window, especially when it gets too warm. Sometimes, those fresh air stops are few and far between, and it would be nice to breathe fresh air.

They could design the windows with a stop, similar to hotel windows on high floors, that would prevent you from opening it more than an inch or two.
I agree with this. And also the upper bunk window thing.

-can the locomotive have a special smokestack that emits bubbles.

a real bar car would be fun WITH the hottub and fire poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back