If the "Amenity Kits" need to be eliminated...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fools save money by giving people minimum wage. Even the cheapest, most Scrooge like businessman doesn't pay minimum wage if he has any concept of the value of a loyal employee. It would shock you how much loyalty and respect you can get simply by paying a quarter more an hour. I mean that honestly.

Let me explain something to you. I stand before you as at least two people. I am Green Maned Lion, a transit advocate In New Jersey who keeps his personality mostly out of sight, but gets this and that done mostly behind the scenes. And I am Green Maned Lion, Chairman and CEO of a corporation involved in garment retail and wholesale. Two different positions, to be sure, but really, also two different people.

As a person, I donate a lot of money to a cause I believe in. Politically, I would likely fall on the left side of the aisle with ties to the Communist party. And I believe in providing for workers and others as part of an enlightened society. And that's all well and good, but that is not GML, CEO.

As CEO of my company, I think only in profit, risk, cost, return, and benefit. As a company, any contributions we give, including some to charity, are done because we think that investing our money in that area will somehow help the bottom line. Charitable contributions are good for image, and good image is good for business. And it is as simple as that.

Yes, as CEO I make my decisions just that coldly. It is my duty to the various friends and family members who helped give me the capital I need to make my business a success to maximize my company's performance, so that I can distribute the profit that their investment in my company - and their belief in me and my ideas- has earned them. Maybe that's the problem with modern mega corps, they just don't really feel that responsibility- but I digress.

I pay my employees quite well. Way over minimum wage, plus sales commissions. Why? Because they have a good job from a 'generous' employer. Because it increases their output. Because it makes them want to keep their jobs so very desperately. And because they know that if they perform, their employment is guaranteed. Happy employees are good employees. Happy employees are employees who want to do their best for you. Happy employees are loyal employees. And the very first step to making an employee happy is to pay them enough to show them that you respect them and are grateful for what they do for you.

And paying minimum wage precisely says something quite clear to the person who is paid it, and I quote: "You are completely worthless. I am paying you $6.75 an hour because that is the least I can get away with to have even your sorry butt. I don't think you are actually worth this much, but the government say I have to give it to you, you worthless piece of crap." That, uh, is the wrong message to give.

Not because I am a nice employer, but because I am a greedy one who wants to maximize his business, I pay my employees well. If you can't wrap your head around that concept, you are unqualified to give anybody business advice.

And by the way, my name is Green (a color) Maned (as in having a mane) Lion (a large cat). It is not Marvin. Marvin is the name of a cousin of mine who made millions selling lingerie at a flea market partly by (not entirely irrelevantly) paying his employees handsomely.

On my recent trip north on the CS I was lucky enough to be in the 1430 car which was just ahead of the Pacific Parlor Car. Wednesday evening I had the best cut of beef I ever ate (shortribs) on Amtrak.

It was prepared and served by the PPC car attendant. He has been working in the PPC for nearly 8 years and is very happy with his job.

Yes Amtrak lost money on me since I was traveling on AGR points.

The ham and cheese omlette I got in the dining car early Thursday morning was nowhere near as good as the ham & cheese omlette I got at Phillipes in LA on Wednesday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back