If not The Metro Plaza in LA.. Other suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMDF9A

Lead Service Attendant
Work has been extremely busy the last two weeks (No I havent been back to the office to get the epidemiology on Noro and ice... I will... I hope this week) and I failed to make my reservation at the Metro Plaza. When I went on-line today to actually make it, there are no rooms available for the night I need. SO... other suggestions for 2-3 star hotel in the LAUS area?

My last time in L.A. I stayed at the Millennium Biltmore, a grand old hotel, and thought it was fine. If I remember correctly I got a rate of about $140, but of course hotel rates can vary widely depending on date, et cetera. I took the subway from Union Station to the Pershing Square station and walked two blocks west. Both the Purple Line and the Red Line run from Union Station to Pershing Square.

I also once stayed out in Pasadena at the Sheraton, which I Pricelined for about $90. It was nondescript from the outside but very nice inside, and in a very nice neighborhood. I rented a car to get there but wish I had taken the Gold Line; the Del Mar station is about two blocks east of the Sheraton.

Well, this isn't for everyone, but we stayed at the Royal Pagoda in Chinatown a couple years ago, and loved it! I think it was about $75 per night with taxes and everything. Had a little difficulty making the reservation over the phone -- language difficulties, ha, ha! The desk guy spoke Chinese better than English. We actually found out it's the same owners as the Best Western Dragon Gate, so after talking with them (very competent English there), the reservation went smoothly. The desk guy at the Royal Pagoda was just fine in person. Truly a cultural experience, we heard many languages spoken from our balcony (none of which we understood), and we got to hang out and eat the fantastic food in Chinatown. If you are up for the Chinatown experience, but a little more security and more stars, go with the Dragon Gate.

Call the Metro Plaza directly as often hotels will sandbag rooms that do not show on line or at a central booking office. Last time I stayed there I booked on line but the confirmation returned a higher rate than what was shown; I called and the manager was more than happy to make the adjustment.

Call the Metro Plaza directly as often hotels will sandbag rooms that do not show on line or at a central booking office. Last time I stayed there I booked on line but the confirmation returned a higher rate than what was shown; I called and the manager was more than happy to make the adjustment.
But only if you are desperate to get in the Metro Plaza. You don't have to stay there. I suggest exploring other hotels.

I had roaches in my room during my recent visit (MetRoach Plaza, har har!) so never again. I think I'm going to try Priceline for the Nikko or something next time.

I second the Millenium Biltmore. I like the movie star type swimming pool in the basement. The rooms need a little sprucing up, but it is a good place. As the other poster said, close to Pershing metro. I like it because it is close to Walt Disney Hall, the main reason I stay in downtown LA

Well if you have smart phone, try downloading a free app call hotel tonight and booking.com

Hotel tonight hotels can only book after 12 local time and sign up today you get a 25 credit towards your first stay ( no advance booking and no refunds) booking.com is where you can book in advance with out being charge . I usually stay at Sheraton hotel in downtown or I stay at the four points by airport

Taking Olympian Hiawatha's advice... Imagine that, an NCL boy listening to a Milwaukee fan... LOL! And called the hotel directly. They just were sold out of the single king rooms but have dual queens available. Booked that... So still same plans. I really wanted to go to Philippes for breakfast but if I had to stay in an outlying area, I didnt want to risk the travel time.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Can any of you very astute folks tell me what CS consist & crew will be leaving LA on the 1st? Does it have a PPC?

As far as for the PPC being on the train, that is a game of chance. It just depends on if the PPC is in good shape for the trip, if not, then they will "normally* substitue a second SSL that will serve the same function as the PPC, with the same PPC style meals and service.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Can any of you very astute folks tell me what CS consist & crew will be leaving LA on the 1st? Does it have a PPC?
Aloha

The odds are if a PPC was on the train leaving Seattle tommorrow you will have one going north on the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back