If I am late for the train...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

summer

I will ride Amtrak from Newark Liberty Airport, just wonder if my flight is late, and then I cannot make the train, can I take the next train for no additional fee?

This will be my first time riding Amtrak. Thanks

In that situation you'd be making a new last minute booking, and the price of a last minute booking is frequently significantly higher than booking well in advance, but you'd only need to pay that difference in price; the full value of your unused ticket can be used towards a new last minute ticket.

That assumes you're traveling coach. The upgrade fees to higher classes have additional restrictions on cancelations.

In that situation you'd be making a new last minute booking, and the price of a last minute booking is frequently significantly higher than booking well in advance, but you'd only need to pay that difference in price; the full value of your unused ticket can be used towards a new last minute ticket.
That assumes you're traveling coach. The upgrade fees to higher classes have additional restrictions on cancelations.

Thanks for your reply!!

Then I guess I will probably not ride Amtrak since there is also greyhound bus there, and I can buy bus ticket right before the ride.

Well if you're flying Continental into Newark, then you can book Amtrak as a code share making it part of your Continental reservation. In that case you'd be protected against price increases should you be so late as to miss the train that you were booked on, since it is connecting travel.

Well if you're flying Continental into Newark, then you can book Amtrak as a code share making it part of your Continental reservation. In that case you'd be protected against price increases should you be so late as to miss the train that you were booked on, since it is connecting travel.
That's nice to know, but I will be flying United

Where are you trying to get to? If it's somewhere in the NJ Transit service area, you can just purchase an NJ Transit ticket right before the ride - their prices are set, they don't increase closer to the date of departure.

A couple of years ago we flew into Newark with destination of Philadelphia in mind, but did not know the through ticket arrangement at that time. When we bought the Amtrak ticket at the Airport rail station, we were given a discount on the basis of coming in on Continental. Even without the discount or any advance purchase, the cost at that time seemed acceptable.

So, as to the question of last minute versus advance purchase cost difference for this situation, not sure that is big enough to be a show-stopper for this situation. Ask and be sure.

As rnizlek says, if your destination is in NJ transit territory, you can do the trip on NJ Transit trains. It is significantly cheaper. You can also use this method to any point in SEPTA territory. You change systems at Trenton NJ. We could have done NJ Trnasit / SEPTA to Philadelphia by changing trains at Trenton, and I ahve in the past, but my wife has walking difficulties so I did not even mention that possibility to her due to the usual need to walk up/down steps to go from platform to platform at Trenton.

I will ride Amtrak from Newark Liberty Airport, just wonder if my flight is late, and then I cannot make the train, can I take the next train for no additional fee?This will be my first time riding Amtrak. Thanks
Yes, it would help to know where you are going. A missed train to Miami is different from a missed train to Wilmington. Also, hopefully you know that Amtrak serves Newark Penn Station, and not Newark Liberty Airport. They are near one another, but they are not in the same location.

Also, hopefully you know that Amtrak serves Newark Penn Station, and not Newark Liberty Airport. They are near one another, but they are not in the same location.
??? The System Timetable says Amtrak serves BOTH stations!

I've heard that the Airport PeopleMover carries you directly to the Train Station, and is Free if you have (or purchase there) a Ticket to continue on by (any) Train.

I've heard that the Airport PeopleMover carries you directly to the Train Station, and is Free if you have (or purchase there) a Ticket to continue on by (any) Train.
The monorail called the Airtrain, is free provided that you don't try to connect with either Amtrak or NJT. You can even ride out to the station, but can't enter it without paying for that privledge. When one buys a ticket the surcharge is incorporated right into the railfare that you pay.

"but I will be flying United "

Just a reminder: Continental OnePass points can (could?) be exchanged 1 for 1 for Amtrak AGR points.

I will ride Amtrak from Newark Liberty Airport
hopefully you know that Amtrak serves Newark Penn Station, and not Newark Liberty Airport. They are near one another, but they are not in the same location.
Most (I think all) Amtrak trains serve Newark Penn Station, but some of them (but not all) also serve Newark Liberty Airport!

And yes, Continental OnePass transfers 1:1 to AGR.

One option might be--if you have the available credit limit--to buy two (or even three) Amtrak tickets: one for the train you think you'll make, and then one or two for later itineraries.

Amtrak tickets are refundable for (IIRC) a couple of days after the scheduled travel dates, so all you'd have to do is, after arriving home, call and cancel the one(s) you didn't use. (IIRC, you can't cancel on the website after the scheduled travel date--you have to call--but you can still get a refund.)

This way, you can still lock in the low-bucket price and protect yourself against price increases. You just have to float the funds on your card until you can get the refund.

One option might be--if you have the available credit limit--to buy two (or even three) Amtrak tickets: one for the train you think you'll make, and then one or two for later itineraries.
Amtrak tickets are refundable for (IIRC) a couple of days after the scheduled travel dates, so all you'd have to do is, after arriving home, call and cancel the one(s) you didn't use. (IIRC, you can't cancel on the website after the scheduled travel date--you have to call--but you can still get a refund.)

This way, you can still lock in the low-bucket price and protect yourself against price increases. You just have to float the funds on your card until you can get the refund.
Or, if you did this, you could call from your cell phone while on the train to cancel the other one(s). (You wouldn't have to wait until you get home or to your hotel.)

I use Newark Airport most of the time for my trips to America, but there is a premium to pay for travel to and from Newark Liberty station. Last time it cost about $15 one way on New Jersey Transit just to get into NYC Penn station. From Newark Penn (the next stop) to NYC Penn is only about $6!

Makes the cheap airport hotels an expensive extra $30 a day per person to go sightseeing.

I was able to use my railpass to avoid paying for some local trips, so I was happy, but lots of other tourists were upset at the cost!

Ed B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back