I wish Amtrak gets back on it feet (wheels)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NE933

Conductor
Haven't posted on here for a long time. My message is brief: I hope Charles Moorman (Wick) can make it work again, bring the whole thing to a healthy rail system. It's just so much a mess right now; keeping my fingers crossed.

Passenger rail in this country hasn't been a 'healthy system' since the 1930s.

The final blow was when the US Postal Service cancelled all their Railroad Post Office contracts with the passenger railroads in the early 60's.

It was a mess that was circling the drain when Amtrak was created at the request of the railroads still doing intercity passenger service that petitioned the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) to let them get out of the passenger rail business before they all went out of business.

Amtrak was initially created with the expectation Amtrak wouldn't last very long.
Fortune magazine exposed manufactured mismanagement in 1974, and Louis W. Menk, chairman of the Burlington Northern Railroad, remarked that the story was undermining the scheme to dismantle Amtrak.

Popular support was the only thing that kept Amtrak alive back then.

By most accounts Wick Moorman is getting a much better Amtrak than his predecessor, Joe Boardman, got from his predecessor.

With a new administration about to occupy the White House we will soon see what political challenges Wick will have to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back