I will never book a sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but the food is mediocre-to-bad. Based on the accounting I've seen (more on that in another thread) the on-board food is literally not worth the price.

Yeah, but the food is mediocre-to-bad. Based on the accounting I've seen (more on that in another thread) the on-board food is literally not worth the price.

Are you talking about traditional dining car food or the contemporary food? Just not sure which point you are trying to make.

I’d argue that the food and service of traditional dining is not worth the cost of staff... I I would argue that the food quality itself and presentation and ability to somewhat customize food items is worth the cost of the chef.

I think the idea of keeping the chef and 1 lsa should have been explored. (Or some crazy version of staffing that would have kept the chef... maybe the chef and a server and only 1 lsa for the train. Something.)

Are you talking about traditional dining car food or the contemporary food? Just not sure which point you are trying to make.

I’d argue that the food and service of traditional dining is not worth the cost of staff... I I would argue that the food quality itself and presentation and ability to somewhat customize food items is worth the cost of the chef.

I think the idea of keeping the chef and 1 lsa should have been explored. (Or some crazy version of staffing that would have kept the chef... maybe the chef and a server and only 1 lsa for the train. Something.)
The "contemporary" food. That whole situation has been a totally half-cocked misadventure in many regards.

I will continue to book a bedroom. I think you have to adapt. Ive enjoyed many conversations with really nice folks in the diner and some not so good. Either way its usually a short moment in time. Ive had great conversations in the SSL also.

I enjoy riding the train in a sleeper and watching it all out the window at least for the time being.

This is a thread about sleepers. ;)
That's why I always take a sleeper(2 connecting rooms for the 2 of us) and why it fits this thread!!!!!. Never taken Coach - not that there's anything wrong with that! LOL Yes, Sleepers cost more ($3,600 this Xmas!). No changes on the AT for sleepers...feel sorry for Coach! Was told the food truck (for coach to bring on) shows up every once-in-a-while!

Attachments

• cocktails.JPG
    cocktails.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
That's why I always take a sleeper(2 connecting rooms for the 2 of us) and why it fits this thread!!!!!. Never taken Coach - not that there's anything wrong with that! LOL Yes, Sleepers cost more ($3,600 this Xmas!). No changes on the AT for sleepers...feel sorry for Coach! Was told the food truck (for coach to bring on) shows up every once-in-a-while!
Once the "flip" occurs for the Auto Train, I'd like to see if the food truck(s) make a regular appearance. If they're regularly not present (as opposed to "incidentally" not present), it might be worth a solid club to hit Anderson over the head with.

The thing with food trucks will be on time performance. No matter if it is the Auto Train or others, there has been somewhat of a revolution in food trucks in the past few years and some of them have outstanding food, but I can't see it being cost effective for them to set up at a station when the train could be hours late. There will still be sleeper passengers waiting I guess but not sure that is a good business model.

The thing with food trucks will be on time performance. No matter if it is the Auto Train or others, there has been somewhat of a revolution in food trucks in the past few years and some of them have outstanding food, but I can't see it being cost effective for them to set up at a station when the train could be hours late. There will still be sleeper passengers waiting I guess but not sure that is a good business model.
Well, the issue is the departing train, not the arriving train, so for the most part there would be a substantial warning if the outbound train is likely to be held. Not 100% of the time (mechanical issues or a track issue could delay things unexpectedly), but if the inbound train is delayed badly that'll probably have some lead time.

I have to agree, meals make the deal. The scenery is great, but the dining car along with the conversations are something special on a train to look forward to. Otherwise looking out the window and checking the schedule to see how late you're running can get old.

Agree. The social aspect of the diner is what makes pax train travel superior to all other modes. Good food is a bonus.

The dining cars are not being removed. You can still sit with other and have conversations.

That's a good point, but without being "officially" seated, I think it would be rare for a stranger to talk to others or or ask to sit with them while eating--from shyness or not wishing to intrude or (in the state I live, anyway) assuming that they might think you are up to no good (a pickpocket, maybe).

That's a good point, but without being "officially" seated, I think it would be rare for a stranger to talk to others or or ask to sit with them while eating--from shyness or not wishing to intrude or (in the state I live, anyway) assuming that they might think you are up to no good (a pickpocket, maybe).
On trains with flex dining, I have shared tables with "strangers" several times and have chatted across the aisle with "strangers" almost every time.

I do agree with you, but I notice a BIG change in attitude of the passengers between the eastern trains and western trains. Those on trains out of CHI are much more friendly and more likely to talk with others. And this includes those that came from say NYP or WAS.

I know this was not a sleeper - but, on the SM out of Newark Penn I was seated next to a woman from NYC on her way south. She was very "chatty" and friendly ... since I have not taken the rain out of Chicago I cannot say they are "friendlier" although it would be hard to be more friendly than this woman from NY was ... not to mention that those of us from Florida, Georgia and SC tend to be friendly

But it’s still different on the CS vs on the SM - both of which are 1 night runs!
I would agree with that somewhat...but I would say that the design of the Sightseer Lounge might have a bit to do with that...much more of a lounge to socialize in than the Amdinette...

Back