I may be crazy, but I'm going to take 3 trains across country

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt it depends on the person.

This last May I did 5 consecutive nights on Amtrak trains, which pretty much established my limit.

GBB-LAX for 2 nights. I boarded the SWC on May 1, which is Amtrak's anniversary.

May 3 I hung out in and around LAUS for 14 hours (Philippe's for breakfast and Chili Verde on Olivera Street for dinner) and at 10 pm started LAX-CHI via the Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle - 3 more nights.

I left LA in a Sunset Limited car and moved to a Texas Eagle car at Alpine so I could sleep through the consist mod at San Antonio.

We were a bit late to CHI so 3 hours later I caught the Illinois Zephyr back to GBB.

3 trains cross country is below average for me!
default_smile.png

Last July I need to unplug to study for my nursing boards and I traveled in a roomette CHI to LAX on the SWC spent the day Santa Monica Pier and returned LAX to CHI via the TE. I enjoyed every minute of it. When I got bored studying I could look out the window and watch the scenery. When I got bored watching the scenery I went back to studying. When explaining my trip to fellow diners in the dining car I always got funny looks. I guess only train aficionados understand.

My vacation this March is flying to BWI and traveling from BWI to WAS via NR, WAS to CHI via CL, CHI to LAX via TE, and LAX to SEA via CS. I am looking forward to again travel in a roomette with nothing to do, unplugged from the world.

Back