I love the opportunity for extra train time but

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I always rode the Southern

Service Attendant
TPA-FBG
$131.75
$223.55
$353.75

5:17pm - 12:21pm (Feb 14)
19 hr, 4 min
Service Alert
92 Silver Star
Checked baggage Lounge Dining car
---
1 Reserved Coach Seat
1 Reserved Coach Seat
Only 2 rooms
at this price
change
Viewliner Roomette

TRANSFER - RVR (1 hr, 51 min)
2:12pm - 3:12pm
1 hr, 0 min
80 Carolinian
Snack car Wi-Fi available

TPA-WAS

$105.40
$234.60
$329.40
5:17pm - 3:14pm (Feb 14)
21 hr, 57 min
Service Alert
92 Silver Star
Checked baggage Lounge Dining car
---

My family just shakes their heads and thinks I'm nuts for not just flying. Never mind it costs less

Now that my son and his wife live in Fredericksburg, I really would want to just get off the train there, not go for an extra ride up to DC and then catch a ride back on a regional.
However the reality is the layover and change in Richmond, or the ride past my stop and back down. Never having detrained in Richmond, or ridden regionals out of Was, which is my better option?
Opinions please?

I would do the change in RVR to the Carolinian. Richmond is no palace, but it is only an hour. Are you taking a sleeping accommodation? If so, you can use the Acela lounge in Washington, but you will be taking a regional train at rush hour southbound, so it will be crowded. By choosing Richmond and the Carolinian, you get a slightly quicker route and reasonably likely reliability. It's sort of "six of one, half a dozen of the other".

I would vote for the Carolinian change in RVR. It will be less hectic, and you can watch some trains go by while you wait.

Thanks Spidersfan,

I didn't think about the rush hour time frame from D.C. I just don't think rationally about this at all since the Star rolls right through Fredericksburg, about the same time I'd be boarding again in Richmond. :wacko:

I'd do the connection. That puts you in FBG around 315pm when 92 is getting to DC. The next train to FBG from DC that's a guaranteed connection leaves at almost 6pm getting in a bit after 7pm.

Keep in mind the reason it's more pricey to goto RVR and make the connection is the connection it's self. If you took a train to FBG from DC that price would go up again as you're making a connection in DC to another train. That might be more expensive then the RVR connection.

If you are arriving on a weekday, you would also have the option of connecting to the VRE Commuter Rail #303 at Alexandria.

Arrive ALX via Silver Star at 2:40pm

Depart via VRE #303 at 3:57pm

Arrive FBG at 5:09pm

VRE Fare is $10.40 for ALX-FBG

If you miss #303, additional VRE Trains bound for Fredricksburg also depart Alexandria at 4:32PM, 5:03PM, 5:38PM, 6:02PM and 7:00PM

Also you could connect at Alexandria to Amtrak trains to Fredricksburg at 4:15PM, 6:07PM and 7:23PM.

I thought about Alexandria, but I have gotten on there when my son lived in Arlington and there is nothing to do in that station while waiting. :( I probably will do the Richmond transfer, but I'm not happy about it. I understand the agreements with VRE and regionals, but I don't understand why FBG can't be a discharge only stop for Fl passengers.

I would do the RVR route. It's a guaranteed connection and one-stop shopping in Amtrak. If you're not going to be in a sleeper, then you have to change trains anyway. If you are in a sleeper, you can get lunch in before RVR. You still have to change trains.

The only issue that I see is that you'll be responsible for any checked bags from RVR to FBG. But you'll need to anyway for your 2nd leg no matter how you do it.

Richmond's station isn't bad. It's kinda small, but comfortable. It's very much like Jacksonville, IIRC.

Chertling's idea for switching in Alexandria to the SB VRE isn't a bad idea, but it'll get you in two hours later and with no guaranteed connection from Amtrak. As mentioned, though, they run about every hour. I think if all the right connections were made, the first southbound VRE would be early enough to avoid the evening rush, and it's always fun to try new trains. Either way, though, you're stuck for an hour or more in a station waiting for your next ride.

I thought about Alexandria, but I have gotten on there when my son lived in Arlington and there is nothing to do in that station while waiting. :( I probably will do the Richmond transfer, but I'm not happy about it. I understand the agreements with VRE and regionals, but I don't understand why FBG can't be a discharge only stop for Fl passengers.
Back in 2009 when Amtrak did the PRIIA performance improvement plan for all LD trains, one of the proposals was to have the Star stop in Fredericksburg. Not sure why it never happened.

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/570/756/2011%20PRIIA%20210%20Report%2009-26-11_final.pdf (see page 4)

I would second the motion on stopping the Star in FBG. In fact, I think all LD trains (Meteor, Star, Palmetto) should make the stop. FBG serves a lot of people, 300,000 plus in the immediately adjacent two counties (Stafford and Spotsylvania). It deserves it's own stop.

Well, I just talked with my daughter(-il), she won't be able to pick me up until after 4:30. Thanks to VentureForth's links, it looks like there is no waiting area inside the FBG station, and as much as I like downtown FBG, not looking forward to wandering around with bags for at least an hour,soooo, I think I will try the connection at Alexandria and my first ride on VRE. :)

Chertling, is there anything I need to know regarding getting a ticket? From what I can gather, reading the VRE site, I can get a reduced fare as a senior.Can I go across the street and get that fare, easily? Is this train likely to be very crowded? Is there clear signage where to board? When it arrives will I have 30 seconds or 3 minutes to board?

One last (ha ha) note: You won't be able to get the Senior/Disability discount from the vending machine. There are only certain vendors that sell those. The one located in Alexandria is close to the station. See this page for more details.

Whatever you do, though, be sure to validate the ticket at the validator machine (it date stamps it so the conductor knows you're using it for one trip only) before you get on the train.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back