I got my job back!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well I think most of you already know this, but as I was going over Donner Pass in the CZ a couple weeks ago, this voice mail from my airline popped up on my cell phone. Well thats weird I thought. It didn't ring obviously because of the weak signal. But I got the message my former airline is initiating a pilot recall and I'm part of the group! Official letter are being sent out the next day!

Obviously I told accepted the recall and will return from furlough status on the 21st in CVG. (woops I mean CIN ;) )

After training I'll be JFK based for about a month then its Detroit based beginning in September. So I MIGHT be moving to Michigan later. Not sure if I'm going to continue commuting out of Texas or just flat out move there. (I was thinking Ann Arbor) It, of course, needs to be near an Amtrak station :) .

I think its also pretty cool when I got laid off that I started with a 21,000 mile trip and now just before going back I got in a 15,000 miles trip. Pretty cool stuff. Doubt I'll get the time off again to do such a long trip again for a while.

Well I think most of you already know this, but as I was going over Donner Pass in the CZ a couple weeks ago, this voice mail from my airline popped up on my cell phone. Well thats weird I thought. It didn't ring obviously because of the weak signal. But I got the message my former airline is initiating a pilot recall and I'm part of the group! Official letter are being sent out the next day!
Obviously I told accepted the recall and will return from furlough status on the 21st in CVG. (woops I mean CIN ;) )

After training I'll be JFK based for about a month then its Detroit based beginning in September. So I MIGHT be moving to Michigan later. Not sure if I'm going to continue commuting out of Texas or just flat out move there. (I was thinking Ann Arbor) It, of course, needs to be near an Amtrak station :) .

I think its also pretty cool when I got laid off that I started with a 21,000 mile trip and now just before going back I got in a 15,000 miles trip. Pretty cool stuff. Doubt I'll get the time off again to do such a long trip again for a while.
Congrats! Let me know when you will be in CVG - we are close. If you will be there a few days maybe we could meet for a meal, or at least coffee.

Congrats! Let me know when you will be in CVG - we are close. If you will be there a few days maybe we could meet for a meal, or at least coffee.
For sure. I will be in CVG for at least 3 weeks. Except I won't have a car there.

Congratulations Chris and best wishes in your future.

So happy to have met you in Dallas last year.

My condolences if you end up in Ann Arbor :lol: :) but hey, you're not too far from Toledo, Ohio. Hope to see you on the CL or Lake Shore in the future as well.

Railroad and Mrs RR Bill

Ditto on the Congrats Chris! :cool: Lots of worse places to live than Ann Arbor that's for sure! It really is cool that you got to get in two really nice tours of America during your furlough! Hope I get to see you in STL @ the Gathering if not before! For sure it wont be on a plane!) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Chris! A good friend of mine is a UP engineer that's been furloughed for about 2 years now and just got his callback in the last week. Glad to hear that people are going back to work!!!!

Cool Beans!!!

If you happen to come through Cleveland, drop me a PM.

Obviously I told accepted the recall and will return from furlough status on the 21st in CVG. (woops I mean CIN ;) )After training I'll be JFK based for about a month then its Detroit based beginning in September. So I MIGHT be moving to Michigan later. Not sure if I'm going to continue commuting out of Texas or just flat out move there. (I was thinking Ann Arbor) It, of course, needs to be near an Amtrak station :) .
Ann Arbor is great town which I happily live in. We are hopefully getting a new train station in the next couple years; not sure if Amtrak will relocate to the new facility (it would make more sense to do so). But the new station will be coming with a commuter line, the MITrain, to Detroit (and hopefully the Airport as well).

peter

Congrats Chris! :cool:
How come when I take long trips, I never get recalled? :huh: I used to work for an airline in '83-'84 too! (Maybe because they went out of business! :lol: )

Lots of worse places to live than Ann Arbor that's for sure!
Like AUS maybe? :huh: :lol:
Actually I was thinking Alabama but come to think of it, what's the name of that blink of an eye State that trains roar through, oh yeah, Rhode Island! :lol: :lol: :lol: (Disclaimer: Nothing against any person, some places just are questionable as to why anyone would want to live there!! :blink:

Small Southern towns, desert and dying Rust Belt cities with no jobs (ie Detroit)come to mind! ;) )

Lots of worse places to live than Ann Arbor that's for sure!
Like AUS maybe? :huh: :lol:
Actually I was thinking Alabama but come to think of it, what's the name of that blink of an eye State that trains roar through, oh yeah, Rhode Island! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But at least KIN has more than 1 train a day to choose from! :D
Fortunately so does AUS! There's 2 Eagles, thirty seven freights :eek: (UP and Shortline Freight) and on weekends there's the Hill Country Flyer! (Coming in the fall, the long awaited Steamer!!!)Guess the Red Line trains dont count but they are fun to ride! Seriously, I thought Rhode Isalnd was very picturesque,

and it's very Historical also!(But OH those Winters! :eek: )That's better than lots of other places not as desireable to live ie Phoenix/Houston/ etc. etc. :lol:

Obviously I told accepted the recall and will return from furlough status on the 21st in CVG. (woops I mean CIN ;) )After training I'll be JFK based for about a month then its Detroit based beginning in September. So I MIGHT be moving to Michigan later. Not sure if I'm going to continue commuting out of Texas or just flat out move there. (I was thinking Ann Arbor) It, of course, needs to be near an Amtrak station :) .
Ann Arbor is great town which I happily live in. We are hopefully getting a new train station in the next couple years; not sure if Amtrak will relocate to the new facility (it would make more sense to do so). But the new station will be coming with a commuter line, the MITrain, to Detroit (and hopefully the Airport as well).

peter
That would be awesome if they got commuter service at the airport. I would love to take the train to work and will miss being able to ride the train to JFK, albeit it was the automated JFK Airtrain. That said, moving to Ann Arbor or anywhere in MI is just an idea at this point. I have no idea what I'm going to decide to do.

Back