I did it.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

Well I did it. I ended up compromising and going roommete versus the family bedroom. If we end up needing a spot for my daughter, then we will go coach or plane (yikes a plane!!!!). We won't know about my daughter until the end of March (when we have to cancel her from the cruise also). We booked the number 10 roommete on the 0730 going and the 0830 coming back. The price is $1536 (AAA). The woman told me that as long as they don't send us our tickets, we can change our rooms without any penalty. I forgot to ask if we cancel totally, if there would be a charge. Ooops. Now is it better to be on top or lower level. We booked 10 because it was the end of the car and hopefully quieter. The woman also told me to call back in September or October to see if it has been lowered. She kept changing her mind on whether it was in the system right or not (availability and prices). I will be calling back to see if it is cheaper and then they can change it if so. Now hopefully I can quit bugging people, huh?

Guest_Gingee said:
Well I did it. I ended up compromising and going roommete versus the family bedroom. If we end up needing a spot for my daughter, then we will go coach or plane (yikes a plane!!!!). We won't know about my daughter until the end of March (when we have to cancel her from the cruise also). We booked the number 10 roommete on the 0730 going and the 0830 coming back. The price is $1536 (AAA). The woman told me that as long as they don't send us our tickets, we can change our rooms without any penalty. I forgot to ask if we cancel totally, if there would be a charge. Ooops. Now is it better to be on top or lower level. We booked 10 because it was the end of the car and hopefully quieter. The woman also told me to call back in September or October to see if it has been lowered. She kept changing her mind on whether it was in the system right or not (availability and prices). I will be calling back to see if it is cheaper and then they can change it if so. Now hopefully I can quit bugging people, huh?
Gingee,

Room 10 is above the trucks so it's loud. I have Slept in Room 10 before and it was boncy.

I was in 9, and enjoyed it. It was very nice not to have any "traffic" past the room (except when the coach to MSP was on....) and was nice to be able to look out the back just by stepping out the door. I do not know if it is significanty noisier or bouncier than the others, but was not a significant problem to me! (now if they would just move the diner back about 4 cars.....;-)

Carolyn

Carolyn, I'm guesing you were on the Portland side, I believe Gingee's on the Seattle side which is up front.

The trucks are the wheels the car rides on. If it's possible to get a room with a lower number do it. But don't go to 11-14 in my opinion.

I have rode in many of the roomettes in different locations in a Superliner and none of them were much different than the others. Room ten was not noticeably louder than room five, although you might hear the door between sleeper cars open and close during the night. The perk of being booked in rooms 11-14 as I recently learned is that the hallway traffic is almost nonexistent and they actually seemed to be quieter even though theyn were down on the lower level and you would expect them to be noisier. I guess what I am trying to say is that I find nitpicking between the locations of the roomettes to be a waste of time since I have found them all to be equally comfortable.

(On a side note: if I travel in a deluxe bedroom I will try to avoid room A since it is a bit smaller because the curvature of the hallway cuts an angle into the room)

Back