Hurricane Dorian (2019)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 'weathered' my first Florida hurricane, as well. After dismissing dire warnings from relatives 'up north', to evacuate for the duration, I am glad I stayed at home. Here in Okeechobee, we had some winds of maybe 30 or so mph, and a few bands of intensive rainfall, but really not much different than the daily afternoon thundershowers we regularly endure...

Although I have not seen an Amtrak service advisory update, it appears that both 98 and 92 are canceled between ORL and NYP on Friday 9/6. I am not surprised. I am still hoping that my Saturday 9/7 trip on 98 will not be canceled, but I am not optimistic.

Although I have not seen an Amtrak service advisory update, it appears that both 98 and 92 are canceled between ORL and NYP on Friday 9/6. I am not surprised. I am still hoping that my Saturday 9/7 trip on 98 will not be canceled, but I am not optimistic.

I’m scheduled on 91 Was-WPb Sat.
Why are you not optimistic?

It appears that Dorian will come very close to Charleston on Thursday. If there is any flooding, trees on tracks, power outages, etc., then CSX may cause Amtrak to cancel the Meteor and the Auto Train. I also heard that flooding may occur further inland, thus affecting the Silver Star.

It appears that Dorian will come very close to Charleston on Thursday. If there is any flooding, trees on tracks, power outages, etc., then CSX may cause Amtrak to cancel the Meteor and the Auto Train. I also heard that flooding may occur further inland, thus affecting the Silver Star.

Makes sense. I’ve been thru 6 of these storms and water is usually an issue for all. Was hoping the Star would be far enough inland. I’ll wait till Friday and always can fly home. If you hear anything else let us know. Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense. I’ve been thru 6 of these storms and water is usually an issue for all. Was hoping the Star would be far enough inland. I’ll wait till Friday and always can fly home. If you hear anything else let us know. Thanks for the reply.
I have lived in Florida all my life (grew up in Miami). I cannot count how many storms I have been through. I have been in Orlando since 1979 and did not experience a direct hit until 2004. I certainly will be watching and check the Service Alerts many times a day. If my train to NYC gets canceled, I will try to reschedule. I have already canceled my hotel reservation, which I can always rebook at the last minute.

I have lived in Florida all my life (grew up in Miami). I cannot count how many storms I have been through. I have been in Orlando since 1979 and did not experience a direct hit until 2004. I certainly will be watching and check the Service Alerts many times a day. If my train to NYC gets canceled, I will try to reschedule. I have already canceled my hotel reservation, which I can always rebook at the last minute.

2004 was a bad year. Good luck with your trip.

By the time it passed us (doing so now) the eye is 100 miles offshore and we are 50+ miles inland so we are not getting much.

Now, how it impacts the Star on Sat I am still keeping track of.

We were 110 miles from the center of the eye at its closest, and 70 miles or so from the raggedy not too well formed eye wall last night. People who lived through them here said it was more like Floyd than Matthew. Matthew was scary. I lived through it. Floyd was before my time in Florida.

Florida really lucked out considering how bad it could have been looking at the Bahama's video. I have cousins who have lived their entire lives in Florida, they have told me they were preparing for the big one and now feel so lucky the storm both weakened and stayed 100 miles off shore.

The latest Amtrak advisory (as of 4pm today) cancels 52, 53, 92 and 98 on Friday (but not 91 or 97) but does not cancel them on Saturday (yet).

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/amtrak-to-temporarily-suspend-service-in-florida.html
Amtrak to Operate Modified Schedule due to Hurricane
September 04, 2019 4:00 PM
Due to severe weather continuing to impact the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic areas of the U.S., Amtrak is operating a modified schedule and cancelling select services from Thursday, Sept. 5, to Saturday, Sept. 7. For the safety of our customers and employees, the following trains will operate a modified schedule:

Services operating a modified schedule on Thursday, Sept. 5, and Friday, Sept. 6 includes:

Palmetto 89 (operating between New York – Savannah, Ga.) will operate from New York To Richmond, Va. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Savannah, Ga.

Palmetto 90 (operating between Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate Richmond, Va., to New York Service is cancelled from Savannah, Ga., to Richmond, Va.

Northeast Regional 95 (operating between Boston – Norfolk, Va.) will operate from Boston to Richmond, Va. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Norfolk, Va.

Northeast Regional 93 (operating between Boston – Norfolk, Va.) will operate from Boston to Washington, D.C. Service is cancelled from Washington, D.C., to Norfolk, Va.

Northeast Regional 125 (operating between New York – Newport News, Va.) will operate from New York to Richmond, Va. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Newport News, Va.

Northeast Regional 67 (operating between Boston – Newport News, Va.) will operate from Boston to Washington, D.C. Service is cancelled from Washington, D.C., to Newport News, Va.

Services operating a modified schedule on Friday, Sept. 6 includes:

Palmetto 89 (operating between New York – Savannah, Ga.) will operate from New York To Richmond, Va. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Savannah, Ga.

Palmetto 90 (operating between Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate Richmond, Va., to New York Service is cancelled from Savannah, Ga., to Richmond, Va.

Northeast Regional 94 (operating between Norfolk Va., – Boston) will operate from Richmond, Va., to Boston. Service is cancelled from Norfolk, Va., to Richmond, Va.

Northeast Regional 84 (operating between Norfolk, Va., – New York) will operate from Washington, D.C., to New York. Service is cancelled from Norfolk, Va., to Washington, D.C.

Northeast Regional 174 (operating between Newport News, Va., – Boston) will operate from Richmond, Va., to Boston. Service is cancelled from Newport News, Va., to Richmond, Va.

Northeast Regional 66 (operating between Newport News, Va., – Boston) will operate from Washington, D.C., to Boston. Service is cancelled from Newport News, Va., to Washington, D.C.

Service cancelled on Thursday, Sept. 5, includes:

· Silver Star 91 (operating between New York – Miami)

· Silver Meteor 97 (operating between New York – Miami)

· Silver Star 92 (operating between Miami – New York)

· Silver Meteor 98 (operating between Miami – New York)

· Auto Train 52 & 53 (operating between Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.)

Service cancelled on Friday, Sept. 6, includes:

· Silver Star 92 (operating between Miami – New York)

· Silver Meteor 98 (operating between Miami – New York)

· Auto Train 52 & 53 (operating between Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.)

Service to resume scheduled operations on Saturday, Sept. 7, includes:

Palmetto 89 will operate from New York – Savannah, Ga.

Services operating a modified schedule on Saturday, Sept. 7 includes:

Palmetto 90 (operating between Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate from Washington, D.C., to New York only. Service is cancelled between Savannah, Ga. and Washington, D.C.

Bus transportation will not be provided for cancelled trains. Service will be restored pending improved conditions.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNECAlerts on Twitter. For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/Alerts.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

The 4pm update was posted by Amtrak. Because neither 91 nor 97 was canceled for Friday, I am guessing that 91 on Saturday may look OK. Good luck.

Now it’s time for my states turn. Bring it on. I would love for it to delay our shows opening so I can finish all of the stuff that isn’t done.

Now it’s time for my states turn. Bring it on. I would love for it to delay our shows opening so I can finish all of the stuff that isn’t done.
Your state is certainly going to get it worse than Florida did out of this one. The configuration in which you are getting hit is similar to the way in which Matthew hit Florida, and trust me, it was an order of magnitude worse than this one. The well formed eye wall passed just off shore 15 miles from my home. And it was a low Cat 3 transitioning to Cat 2 then, slightly more powerful than the high Cat 2 that Dorian was passing here. It was heading straight for us and then wobbled east by a few miles in the process of an eye wall replacement also reducing its strength, at the last possible moment. Total power outages in Brevard were in 6 figures range. This time at its worst it was about 6 thousand, and the crews were fixing things throughout the storm because the wind speeds were not high enough to prevent them from doing so.

@pennyk was having much more massive conniptions in Orlando back then as I recall, as the projected path was much closer to Orlando, until it changed at the last moment.

The folks near the coast, who have not evacuated will get the brunt of it. Columbia, not so much perhaps.

Best of luck to y'all.

I 'weathered' my first Florida hurricane, as well. After dismissing dire warnings from relatives 'up north', to evacuate for the duration, I am glad I stayed at home. Here in Okeechobee, we had some winds of maybe 30 or so mph, and a few bands of intensive rainfall, but really not much different than the daily afternoon thundershowers we regularly endure...
I suspected you guys would not get anything more than a stiff breeze with some noticeable gusts pass by you, with some rainfall not out the ordinary this time of the year. Good thing it panned out that way.

For some weird reason, the West Melbourne - Palm Bay area did not get as much rain was was projected. Indian River County to our south and North Brevard to our north got much more. There wasn't even a small broken branch in my yard at the end of it.

Compare this to Irma, which stripped my Hibiscus completely of all its leaves, and I had three large branches from some tree, not sure if they were all mine or at least one was from somewhere else, sitting on my yard. I had my east facing walls peppered with chunks of earth, I don’t know where they came from. Had to get the house power washed to get rid of them. And we had to suffer through twelve solid hours of Tornado Warning - yes, Warning, not Watch. We were on the dirty side of the eye and there was massive instability right above us with criss crossing winds at different altitudes. A very different thing from the almost complete instability free passage of this one, with us on the clean side.

Last edited:
Here is the latest update 9/5 at 1:30 (unless I am missing something, still no word on Saturday's 92 and 98)

Amtrak to Continue Operating Modified Schedule due to Hurricane
September 05, 2019 1:30 PM
Severe weather impact Southeast and Mid-Atlantic

Due to severe weather continuing to impact the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic areas of the U.S., Amtrak is operating a modified schedule and cancelling select services from Thursday, September 5, to Saturday, September 7. For the safety of our customers and employees, the following trains will operate on a modified schedule:

Service operating on a modified schedule on Thursday, September 5 includes:

• Palmetto 89 (operating between New York – Savannah, Ga.) will operate from New York To Richmond, Va. only. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Savannah, Ga.

• Palmetto 90 (operating between Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate from Richmond, Va., to New York only. Service is cancelled from Savannah, Ga., to Richmond, Va.

• Northeast Regional 95 (operating between Boston – Norfolk, Va.) will operate from Boston to Richmond, Va. only. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Norfolk, Va.

• Northeast Regional 93 (operating between Boston – Norfolk, Va.) will operate from Boston to Washington, D.C. only. Service is cancelled from Washington, D.C., to Norfolk, Va.

• Northeast Regional 125 (operating between New York – Newport News, Va.) will operate from New York to Richmond, Va. only. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Newport News, Va.

• Northeast Regional 67 (operating between Boston – Newport News, Va.) will operate from Boston to Washington, D.C. only. Service is cancelled from Washington, D.C., to Newport News, Va.

Service cancelled on Thursday, September 5, includes:

• Silver Star 91 (operating between New York – Miami)

• Silver Meteor 97 (operating between New York – Miami)

• Silver Star 92 (operating between Miami – New York)

• Silver Meteor 98 (operating between Miami – New York)

• Auto Train 52 & 53 (operating between Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.)

Service operating a modified schedule on Friday, September 6 includes:

• Palmetto 89 (operating between New York – Savannah, Ga.) will operate from New York To Richmond, Va. only. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Savannah, Ga.

• Palmetto 90 (operating between Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate Richmond, Va., to New York only. Service is cancelled from Savannah, Ga., to Richmond, Va.

• Northeast Regional 66 (operating between Newport News, Va., – Boston) will operate from Washington, D.C., to Boston only. Service is cancelled from Newport News, Va., to Washington, D.C.

• Northeast Regional 84 (operating between Norfolk, Va., – New York) will operate from Washington, D.C., to New York only. Service is cancelled from Norfolk, Va., to Washington, D.C.

• Northeast Regional 93 (operating between Boston – Norfolk, Va.) will operate from Boston to Washington, D.C. only. Service is cancelled from Washington, D.C., to Norfolk, Va.

• Northeast Regional 94 (operating between Norfolk Va., – Boston) will operate from Richmond, Va., to Boston only. Service is cancelled from Norfolk, Va., to Richmond, Va.

• Northeast Regional 95 (operating between Boston – Norfolk, Va.) will operate from Boston to Richmond, Va. only. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Norfolk, Va.

• Northeast Regional 125 (operating between New York – Newport News, Va.) will operate from New York to Richmond, Va. only. Service is cancelled from Richmond, Va., to Newport News, Va.

• Northeast Regional 174 (operating between Newport News, Va., – Boston) will operate from Richmond, Va., to Boston only. Service is cancelled from Newport News, Va., to Richmond, Va.

Service cancelled on Friday, September 6, includes:

• Silver Star 92 (operating between Miami – New York)

• Silver Meteor 98 (operating between Miami – New York)

• Auto Train 52 & 53 (operating between Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.)

Service operating a modified schedule on Saturday, September 7 includes:

• Palmetto 90 (operating between Savannah, Ga. – New York) will operate from Washington, D.C., to New York only. Service is cancelled between Savannah, Ga. and Washington, D.C.

• Northeast Regional 194 (operating between Newport News, Va. – Boston) will operate from Richmond, Va. to Boston only. Service is cancelled between Newport News, Va. and Richmond, Va.

• Northeast Regional 88 (operating between Norfolk, Va. – Boston) will operate from Washington, D.C. to Boston only. Service is cancelled between Norfolk, Va. and Washington, D.C.

Service to resume scheduled operations on Saturday, September 7, includes:

• Palmetto 89 will operate from New York – Savannah, Ga.

Bus transportation will not be provided for cancelled trains. Service will be restored pending improved conditions.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNECAlerts on Twitter. For service information outside the Northeast Corridor, please follow @AmtrakAlerts for updates.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/Alerts.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Yes, they do not actually say if either Silver will run on Sat ... but, they imply -
Service to resume scheduled operations on Saturday, September 7, includes:

• Palmetto 89 will operate from New York – Savannah, Ga.

Since they only mention resumption of 89 ... that would leave one to conclude that 91/92 and 97/98 will NOT resume

Yes, they do not actually say if either Silver will run on Sat ... but, they imply -

Since they only mention resumption of 89 ... that would leave one to conclude that 91/92 and 97/98 will NOT resume

I think they are waiting to see what CSX says after CSX inspects the conditions in North and South Carolina.

The Star should be good to go probably. Columbia didn’t really get much of anything. We canceled schools and some work places closed. But nothing more than regular speed wind mostly, and a bit of a rain but no downpours. I should have known when WIS put an alert day up it would be a lovely day to be outside. Which it is. Even blue sky in places.

Yes, Columbia may have fared OK - but Raleigh looks to be in jeopardy of tornados ... as well as flooding rains
I heard that there was a tornado in Wilson, NC which I believe is on the Star's route.

Back