How'd i do?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smee

Train Attendant
My summer trip to East Glacier

49 Lake Shore Limited 1 Viewliner Roomette / Car 4911,

27 Empire Builder 1 Superliner Roomette / Car 2730,

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your question? (And you should not post your car and room number publicly - you don't know who's lurking!)
You did well. I tried twice to get out East on the Zephyr and gave up both times. How mcuh delay did you have in Minot and Devil's Lake. Some of those delys sounded like nightmares.

Assuming this was last summer, I wouldn't worry much about lurkers as time travel isn't really big yet.

Agreed--though you didn't post a date, car and room number may be more than you want to share. I'd have left it at car number, which brings me to my point....

Being in the 2730 Portland section sleeper, you'll have a much longer walk to the diner. You would be better off in the Seattle-bound sleepers sold as train 7. If there isn't a price difference (or you used points) consider calling in to switch to 7.

Agreed--though you didn't post a date, car and room number may be more than you want to share. I'd have left it at car number, which brings me to my point....

Being in the 2730 Portland section sleeper, you'll have a much longer walk to the diner. You would be better off in the Seattle-bound sleepers sold as train 7. If there isn't a price difference (or you used points) consider calling in to switch to 7.
Switching to the Seattle Sleeper is better. That is car 730 or 731 IIRC. One good thing about the Portland sleeper is the railfan window. You can look out the back and watch the tracks. This is one of my favorite experiences.

I was in the 2730 sleeper to Glacier last summer and I rather liked that car because we did not hear the horn all night. We also had Stephanie as the SCA and she was great. 2730 was also much less expensive when we booked than the 7 cars.

I guess I was asking where the rooms were located on the train and if they were upper/lower level. Since it seems I'm in the rear of the train I won't mind as I should have a liitle bit more privacy and piece and quiet. As for the room #'s my bad as I did a quick copy and paste. The Seattle sleeper was more expensive and I couldn't see spending more money on the same room for the same trip.

I was in the 2730 sleeper to Glacier last summer and I rather liked that car because we did not hear the horn all night. We also had Stephanie as the SCA and she was great. 2730 was also much less expensive when we booked than the 7 cars.
Me too, (in September)....I would keep 2730 just for Stephanie and the rear view! It's no big deal walking through some cars for meals.

I guess I was asking where the rooms were located on the train and if they were upper/lower level. Since it seems I'm in the rear of the train I won't mind as I should have a liitle bit more privacy and piece and quiet. As for the room #'s my bad as I did a quick copy and paste. The Seattle sleeper was more expensive and I couldn't see spending more money on the same room for the same trip.
I'd almost be you'll be upper level. Better that way....less track noise and better views. Hope you end up with Stephanie...tell her Eric said hi....the guy who helped unload all the luggage in PDX. She'll chuckle at that. :lol:

I guess I was asking where the rooms were located on the train and if they were upper/lower level.
The bedrooms (except for the H-Room and Family Room) and roomettes #2-10 are on the upper level. (#1 is the SCA's room.) Roomettes #11-14 and the 2 bedrooms mentioned previously are on the lower level.

I used to have a diagram of the car, but I can't locate it right now.

Alan - Thanks for the diagrams. They will really help me. I much prefer the upper level. Yes it sways more, especially on the Builder eastbound from PDX where you're at the tail end of the train. But one gets a much better view of the country side from up high. Besides end of the train means you can stand there for a while and see the tracks disappear into the distance. And once in a while, when the train reverses, you get to stand next to the conductor and see how the whole thing is managed. Quite cool. -- Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back