How well does the air conditioning work in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the AC & heat adjusted on Amtrak? is it a "proper" thermostat, where you set a temperature, or more like a car system, where you just turn on or off the system?

peter
I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
There is a dial that allows one to adjust the temp, but it's marked 1 through 10, not in degrees. So one must guess as to what the correct setting is for the conditions.

When sleeping in coach class, I mostly feel too cold, and would always recommend a blanket and a warm hat. The hat I bring with me from the UK, the blanket I purchase in the US from a drug store near the station... Quit like to choose the most violent color blanket, makes me feel like a hobo! One can sometimes arrange the bags on the overhead rack to deflect some of the icy blast from above. I have experienced several winter time Amtrak trips in roomettes where the heating was non existant, so several layers of lighter clothing works better than one heavy layer to adjust personal comfort levels.

Ed :cool:

When we traveled in coach on the Zephyr to Reno from Emeryville, we had an issue where the heater went out of control. Our attendant was non-existant but we grabbed the conductor. He couldn't do anything until the next stop but after that, the temperture was comfortable until our stop, though a bit on the cool side.

It's usually more cool than warm, so keep that in mind when you pack (as others have noted). But I've also ridden trains where A/C in one car was too warm and it wasn't possible to reaccommodate all passengers in other cars. In that case, it's good to be able to skinny down into a t-shirt.

First hand report: I boarded EB #8 a few minutes ago and can tell you the air conditioning is working very well, perhaps TOO well. ;)
Thanks!! I ended up having to take the EB #27 instead of the SWC because there were no seats left on the LSL from here to catch the SWC on Wednesday. But I am glad the air is working. it is pretty hot up that area too.

First hand report: I boarded EB #8 a few minutes ago and can tell you the air conditioning is working very well, perhaps TOO well. ;)
Thanks!! I ended up having to take the EB #27 instead of the SWC because there were no seats left on the LSL from here to catch the SWC on Wednesday. But I am glad the air is working. it is pretty hot up that area too.
90 degrees in Seattle as I leave today. I'm living proof, after being here for 4 days, it is very possible to get sunburned in Seattle. :lol:

90 degrees in Seattle as I leave today. I'm living proof, after being here for 4 days, it is very possible to get sunburned in Seattle. :lol:
I will remember that, I am going to an afternoon Red Sox/Mariners game while there so will remember the sunscreen.

How is the AC & heat adjusted on Amtrak? is it a "proper" thermostat, where you set a temperature, or more like a car system, where you just turn on or off the system?

peter
There is a dial that allows one to adjust the temp, but it's marked 1 through 10, not in degrees. So one must guess as to what the correct setting is for the conditions.
You set the temperature by observing the interior temperature gauge (if it works) and adjusting the setting dial until the status lights change from heat to cool (or vice versa). The thermostat is frequently way off however, so you're left with using the cool or heat override to go full cool/heat for 30 minutes. Alternativly you can turn off the A/C compressor or heat breakers, leaving the blowers to put out unconditioned outside air.

I can only imagine the uproar when idiots complain about being too cold, the heat is turned on and everyone is ikded because when hot you can't take off enough clothers.

Bring a sweater and accept the common sense TRAIN of thought.

peter
For the technical aspect:

A/C is three stage, 1/3 cool, 2/3 cool and full cool, aditionaly there's a cool-reheat mode that uses the overhead heat grids to de-humidify the air.

Heat is 2 stage, from both the overhead heat reistor grids in the HVAC units, and the electric baseboard floor heaters.

Then there's a two position damper in each supply duct (2) that mixes fresh air with the conditioned air.

Alternativly you can turn off the A/C compressor or heat breakers, leaving the blowers to put out unconditioned outside air.
And has been noted more than once by Al, aka Oldtimer, who worked the Superliner cars in the Chicago yards, turning off the heat breakers guarantees that you will screw up the AC. I'm too tired to search for his posts right now, but more than once he's explained that turning off those heat breakers is the worst thing that an SCA can do if they wish to keep the AC running properly.

Alternativly you can turn off the A/C compressor or heat breakers, leaving the blowers to put out unconditioned outside air.
And has been noted more than once by Al, aka Oldtimer, who worked the Superliner cars in the Chicago yards, turning off the heat breakers guarantees that you will screw up the AC. I'm too tired to search for his posts right now, but more than once he's explained that turning off those heat breakers is the worst thing that an SCA can do if they wish to keep the AC running properly.
Yes, having the overhead heat breakers off while in cooling disables the cool-reheat mode, and eventually causes the evaporator coils to ice up.

You have to be smart about what you're doing, if the controller is calling for full cold when it's 60 degrees outside then turning off the compressor breakers leaves everyone much more comfortable. Likewise if the system is calling for heat when it shouldn't be, then you only have two options; press the cool override and have the car turn into a meat locker by the end of the 30 minute timer, immediately followed by full stage 2 heat again, or just turn the overhead and floor heat breakers off and make do.

peter
You set the temperature by observing the interior temperature gauge (if it works) and adjusting the setting dial until the status lights change from heat to cool (or vice versa). The thermostat is frequently way off however, so you're left with using the cool or heat override to go full cool/heat for 30 minutes. Alternativly you can turn off the A/C compressor or heat breakers, leaving the blowers to put out unconditioned outside air.
Oh I hope the later part of your post never happens on my trip this week. summer temps without air conditioning would just about kill me with my COPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back