How To Master The Art Of Amtrak Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover

Conductor
From an article posted on the Huffington Post on Sept. 15, 2015:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/travel-leisure/how-to-master-the-art-of_b_8136484.html

Riding the rails -- it's a beloved experience that many prefer to plane or car travel. There are no security lines and no traffic, plus the benefit of wider seats and more legroom. But among those who don't travel Amtrak regularly, it's common to hear complaints about ticket fares, the lack of luxury offerings more commonly seen with air travel, as well as the boarding and exiting frenzies famous in places like New York's Penn Station and Washington, D.C.'s Union Station.

We can dispel some of these myths. With a little advance planning and some well-trod intel, you, too, can enjoy the best that train travel can offer in a way that works for your budget and peace of mind. Read on for our tips on mastering Amtrak, then get ready to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The Six Points:

1. Plan Ahead
2. Know About Discounts
3. Check Out a Station Lounge
4. Make Use of Red Cap
5. Consider The Quiet Car
6. Join The Rewards Program

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention they left off "Check Amtrak Unlimited"! :angry2: :giggle:

"Terribly incomplete list."

Agree somewhat = but consider article source. It's the Huff Post = amazes me that people still feel that site is quality. But that is a long rant not for here.

"No mention of duct tape, swiss army knives or power strips."

Never agree with this when it gets mentioned here ad nauseam. I still feel power strips are irresponsible and a safety hazard.

"5. Consider The Quiet Car"

Shows how clueless Huff is = considering not all Amtrak trains offer Quiet Car. I'm sure author lives on one side of country and ignorant to service offerings in other regions.

"3. Check Out a Station Lounge"

Not exactly possible without Status or a coupon. Especially when Business Class ticket holders only get Lounge access in Chicago. Then again - if larger stations all get Legacy Clubs - you can pay your way to lounge life.

Last edited by a moderator:
power strips not safe? Please elaborate..

99% of them have a breaker. Loose prongs?

Sorry but loose is a amtrak issue . not the consumers .

UP your sleeper price by 100 bucks a few times that should pay enough to cost out a hour of time to upgrade the sockets with new ones and add USB too so you can charge your low power gadets too.

1. Plan ahead - how is rail different from air travel? Air travel requires careful planning.

2. Know the discounts - The airlines have such a complex fare structure it is hard to know the best deal.

3. Acela/Met Lounges - These are free for the Sleeping Car, Business Class, First Class passengers, but even if you have a First Class domestic airline ticket most airlines will NOT admit you to their lounges with out an expensive annual membership fee or daily fee.

4. Red Caps or Sky Caps both help you with your luggage, but neither are truly free, and for those they serve truly worth the few dollars required.

5. Quiet Car? - A few trains do have them but none of the LD ones. Quiet on the plane? that's a joke. The plane is a human sardine can with forced recycled air full of germs and chemicals for the sardines to breath. Most fliers do not realize that only the pilots get 100% new air for safety reasons.

Also, it is so much safer to have a three prong surge strip that has its own breaker than a two prong unprotected extension cord.

"Terribly incomplete list."

Agree somewhat = but consider article source. It's the Huff Post = amazes me that people still feel that site is quality. But that is a long rant not for here.

"No mention of duct tape, swiss army knives or power strips."

Never agree with this when it gets mentioned here ad nauseam. I still feel power strips are irresponsible and a safety hazard.

"5. Consider The Quiet Car"

Shows how clueless Huff is = considering not all Amtrak trains offer Quiet Car. I'm sure author lives on one side of country and ignorant to service offerings in other regions.

Not exactly possible without Status or a coupon. Especially when Business Class ticket holders only get Lounge access in Chicago. Then again - if larger stations all get Legacy Clubs - you can pay your way to lounge life.
First off, it was something of a joke.

Second, I have many tens of thousands of miles in long distance Amtrak travel under my belt and duct/gaffers tap has proven indespensable on occastion, and has sometimes made me the most popular person in the sleeper, as has a swiss army knife or leatherman tool.

Third, defend your thesis on surge protecting power strips.

And in Los Angeles. And in Portland. Business Class passengers have access to Metropolitan Lounges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back