How to find hotel near Amtrak stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning two trips before December. I have spent hours on the net trying to find good and inexpensive one to two night stays near Amtrack stations. Need to know a good website to view. Does Amtrack partner with hotels - i.e., can one view hotel listings on the Amtrack website?

I'm planning two trips before December. I have spent hours on the net trying to find good and inexpensive one to two night stays near Amtrack stations. Need to know a good website to view. Does Amtrack partner with hotels - i.e., can one view hotel listings on the Amtrack website?
You might mention what cities you are considering,lots of members will gladly advise you and also you can then use the web to check out the location of hotels near stations,transportation available etc.IMHO this is the best info available anywhere! :)

If you are just not sure what is close to a station, go to the Amtrak.com site and look up "stations" and get the street address. Then hit hotels.com and search by address. That's how I do it.

When you buy your tickets online they have some hotels listed but I don't think the ones listed are necessarily close to the station or have any relation to being better specific to train travel.

Whenever I go somewhere I just use google maps to find where the station/whatever is located. Then in a new browser tab I go to hotels.com and put in the city and how much I want to spend and use the map to figure out what hotel I want. Then I book on the franchise's website to get the miles/points/promotions.

You might also wish to look at this listing of hotels that are near rail transportation. That doesn't guarantee that it's right next to the Amtrak station, you may need to ride local subways or light rail to reach the hotel and in some case use a hotel shuttle bus, but it will help to keep you from needing to find a cab to reach the hotel.

One suggestion is to go on Amtrak and search for the physical address of the station. Then I would go to www.travelocity.com and search for a hotel near that address. I think you have to do advanced search or something like that. Then you can view images of the properties and it describes them. Write down the name of the hotels that you are interested in on the results. I prefer booking direct with those hotels rather than Travelocity. If anything happens to your arrival, of course you know Amtrak is NEVER late :p you have more controll of refunds or adjustments, plus often times if you tell them Travelocity has the rate for less than they are quoting, don't lie here, they will honor it because it creates a warm bed which hotels desperatly need now, and they don't have to pay the Travelocity fees for them booking it. If you don't mind making a long distance call, trying to book direct with the hotel you can wheel and deal and snag deals. Ask for corporate rate and dont forget about AAA, senior, Government rates if you qualify and can be verified. Also if you explain why you are staying with them sometimes that helps.

One suggestion is to go on Amtrak and search for the physical address of the station. Then I would go to www.travelocity.com and search for a hotel near that address. I think you have to do advanced search or something like that. Then you can view images of the properties and it describes them. Write down the name of the hotels that you are interested in on the results. I prefer booking direct with those hotels rather than Travelocity. If anything happens to your arrival, of course you know Amtrak is NEVER late :p you have more controll of refunds or adjustments, plus often times if you tell them Travelocity has the rate for less than they are quoting, don't lie here, they will honor it because it creates a warm bed which hotels desperatly need now, and they don't have to pay the Travelocity fees for them booking it. If you don't mind making a long distance call, trying to book direct with the hotel you can wheel and deal and snag deals. Ask for corporate rate and dont forget about AAA, senior, Government rates if you qualify and can be verified. Also if you explain why you are staying with them sometimes that helps.
You can also that that Amtrak station address and use it with "hotels near XXXXXXXXX (the complete address) in Google maps and it will bring them all up to view. An example is here.

You can also that that Amtrak station address and use it with "hotels near XXXXXXXXX (the complete address) in Google maps and it will bring them all up to view. An example is here.
Or simply search for "Hotels near Amtrak in xxxxxx" in maps.google.com. Works more often than not.

If you go on amtrak.com, go through the fare finder on the front page, enter the dates & destination just like you would to get pricing/make a reservation. Just before you get to the part for completion of the reservation, scroll down. Usually there is a list & option to add a hotel room. The hotels listed may not be real close though.

You can also go to maps.google.com, enter city, state, amtrak hotels . That works pretty well. I would cross check each list with the Amtrak Guest Rewards hotel list (on amtrak.com), if you have signed up with Amtrak Guest Rewards. If you haven't signed up yet, make sure you do, and use the # when you buy your tickets/hotel.

Welcome to the board, & enjoy your trips!

(edited to add new link)

I just found a link on the bottom left page of amtrak.com that is real easy to use-add city, dates & # of people & off you go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Like some one mentioned earlier google amtrak <City Name> hotel or some combination of that.

Hotels.com also lets you type in say <CityName> Amtrak and it will give you a list of possible answers. You might need to refine the question say you wanted a hotel near the Albany NY station you would have to type in Albany-Renssalaer and not just Albany, which would only bring up Albany OR. Amtrak.

I search with the criteria of the hotel offering Guest Rewards points. It's usually even worth it (to me) if it necessitates a cab ride. And Thanks Alan!, for reposting the rails to rooms link. It is safely saved in my favorites. Mark

Hotels.com even offers a choice of close to Amtrak Station for most cities. So you don't even need to find the address of the station. Just select the city and in the list of options you can choose it to be near an Amtrak Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back