How to arrive in San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have more info, so request some more help!

Our hotel is about 3/4 mile from the Fisherman's Wharf drop off and about 2-1/2 miles from the Transbay Terminal.

The bus would get to the Transbay Terminal around 10:05pm or the Fishermans Wharf 10:30pm. Which is better choice as far as grabbing a cab or Uber to our hotel? The Fishermans Wharf is much closer, but 25 more

Minutes on the bus? Are both desinations "safe-ish" at that time? Do cabs usually wait for the busses, etc?

Thanks for any input :)

Let me guess: your hotel is out on Lombard Street, west of Van Ness, or thereabouts. Sometimes called Cow Hollow. Coming from the Bay Bridge, it's past Fisherman's Wharf. If that's the case, then stay on the bus until you get to Fisherman's Wharf.

25 minutes to go 2 miles in San Francisco is not crazy. The whole city is only 7 miles by 7 miles, and you're in the busiest part of it. A cab or Uber would be faster, but the ride wouldn't be as scenic and it would cost more. A lot more if it's a cab.

At that time of night, it'll probably be easier getting an Uber at Fisherman's Wharf, and it's a nicer area. Enjoy the ride!

Also consider even though the bus is scheduled to take 25 minutes to get from Transbay to the wharf doesn't mean it will take that long especially at that time of night. I would also concurr that the best place to get transport either via cab or ride share is from Fisherman's Wharf at that time of night.

I am going to go the opposite way to other's sentiments here. I work daily in downtown SF, so my opinion might be worth 2 cents- I would get off at the first stop in the city and just get an Uber or Lyft (if you have never used that, get the app just before your trip, they are giving up to $50 in free rides for new users that can cover a lot of your within-SF travels!) to your hotel.

There is no reason to hang out on the bus for another 25 minutes unless you REALLLY love the bus. At around 10-11pm when you reach there, you'll get to your hotel from Transbay Terminal by Uber/Lyft before your bus reaches Fisherman's Wharf. Getting either of the rideshares is no issue in downtown SF- tons of drivers hang out any time of the day or night.

I am going to go the opposite way to other's sentiments here. I work daily in downtown SF, so my opinion might be worth 2 cents- I would get off at the first stop in the city and just get an Uber or Lyft (if you have never used that, get the app just before your trip, they are giving up to $50 in free rides for new users that can cover a lot of your within-SF travels!) to your hotel.
I agree -- that's what I would do, too. I'd rather get to my hotel room half an hour sooner than take a ride along the Embarcadero and/or see Fisherman's Wharf. I'm from North Beach, so it's no big deal. That half hour is also worth the extra $10 or whatever for Uber/Lyft. But if I'm in the City, I'm in business travel mode. When I'm in tourist mode, particularly somewhere I've never been before, a longer, cheaper, more interesting ride is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back