How to arrange for a private rail car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

don warner saklad

Train Attendant
a.

What kinds of resources and alternatives are there for arranging for a private rail car?...

b.

What kind of budget would be needed?...

Since none of these private railcars are available through Amtrak, your not going to have a great deal of luck on this board. However, that being said, you should check out http://www.aaprco.com/ which is the website for the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners, Inc. (Mr. just posted that link in the previous post).

From experience of looking into this sort of thing, private railcars are going to vary in cost, where the lowest is going to be about $5,000 per day. They seem to range between 5-7K per day in most cases. The other issue is you have to pay for the car to be shipped back to its home location, so its not as simple as just paying for the days you are on board. I can tell you that on a private car which I worked on finding info about, it would be $25,000 to take the Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville (that price includes getting the car shipped back to its starting location). All these trips can be made cheaper if you take them with a group as you can split the cost among the group.

Aloha

Saw your question about Private Rail Cars. Was always interested but after finding this page, not in my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back