How strict is Amtrak on Baggage dimensions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going from Niagara Falls NY to NYC in April. I have a 24" bag so I'm ok...but my friend just bought a 30" bag before knowing the allowed dimensions. Are they strict about the 2" or do you think she'll be ok? Asking now because we have time to exchange the suitcase if needs be.

The "unofficial" rule is, if you can carry it, you can bring it. They don't measure or weigh carry-ons. They do weigh checked bags and those must be under the weight limit.

I know there is no checked baggage on the Empire Service...so theoretically she should be ok? The guy at the station yesterday (went for a drive to find out where it was) was really rude and adamant that if it didn't fit the dimensions we couldn't go...so I just wanted to make sure.

Don't make the mistake of asking, just do it and you'll be fine.
The funny thing was we just asked about whether there was about luggage storage (ie: luggage racks at the front of the cars) because we weren't sure and hadn't done a lot of research...

There is luggage storage at the end of the cars and in the luggage rack above the seat. Except on the Acela (between BOS-NYP-WAS) they are not enclosed (like on a plane). There is plenty of room there. If you have any problem lifting your bag to the rack, I'm sure other passengers will offer their assistance.

Just go directly to the train - unless you need to see the agent for some reason. As the saying goes, "Don't ask, don't tell". There will be no problem.

Most stations have now or should have received the baggage template for easily and quickly measuring bags, both checked and carry-on.

Just be aware that enforcement of the size dimensions is increasing.

There is luggage storage at the end of the cars and in the luggage rack above the seat. Except on the Acela (between BOS-NYP-WAS) they are not enclosed (like on a plane). There is plenty of room there. If you have any problem lifting your bag to the rack, I'm sure other passengers will offer their assistance.

Just go directly to the train - unless you need to see the agent for some reason. As the saying goes, "Don't ask, don't tell". There will be no problem.
Amtrak California Cars in Northern California on the San Joaquin and Capital Corridor Routes also have enclosed overhead luggage racks. On Acela you can fit a decent amount of stuff on these cars their tiny!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen people carrying the large suitcases with no problem. As they have said, if there is no checked luggage, they expect people to have the larger luggage on these trains. Your friend will be fine.

"they expect people to have the larger luggage on these trains"

If that were the case they'd change the rules.

It looks they're enforcing them more stringently and the guy at their station (the only guy that matters at the end of the day) already said no. I'd be wary.

"they expect people to have the larger luggage on these trains"

If that were the case they'd change the rules.

It looks they're enforcing them more stringently and the guy at their station (the only guy that matters at the end of the day) already said no. I'd be wary.
I would be interested to see if this works. Interest to see how they can enforce that at stations that have no checked baggage with no one there to check the size. I am not saying break the rules, I am saying that the rules go for checked baggage and carry-on versus no checked baggage trains.

This is on Amtrak.com's checked baggage page. But does not say anything if there is no other train from your originating station.

• If checked baggage is not offered on a train/bus in your itinerary, it may be accepted on another train/bus bound for the same destination (excluding firearms). Advance check-in is recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one there to check the size other than the guy that was already rude to her and the conductor.

Where in the rules does it say oversized bags are OK as carryons if the train doesn't offer checked bags? I can't seem to find it. I did find where it said "For passengers safety and security, Amtrak reserves the right to deny transport or charge fees for items exceeding policy limitations."

It would be pretty crappy to stand at Niagara Falls and watch your train to NY leave without you (even more crappy to have it happen to you in New York).

Since in this case it's easy to exchange for a compliant bag, it's probably a good idea to do so.

Don't make the mistake of asking, just do it and you'll be fine.
This thread could really have stopped at this point. There simply isn't much else to say.

And lest we not forget, it's not $50 a bag,,,,,
True, it's Zero Dollars, mainly because there's no checked bag service from Niagara Falls to New York. If the OP really needed to check a bag, she and her friend

could drive to BUF and take the Lake Shore Limited. But that really, really would not be worth it in this case. I mean, if exchanging it is easily done, then perhaps

that would be the best since it would eliminate the uncertainty. But I just cannot see this being a problem.

Where in the rules does it say oversized bags are OK as carryons if the train doesn't offer checked bags? I can't seem to find it.
And where in the rules does it say that "If your traveling from Chicago to Denver or Chicago to Spokane, you may bring 4 bags (2 checked plus 2 carry-ons). However, if your going from Naperville to Denver or Glenview to Spokane (the next stop which has no checked baggage service) you may only bring 2 carry-ons. I don't seem to find that either!
Shouldn't all Amtrak passengers be treated the same, or are some different than others? :huh:

According to my experience, it makes a lot of sense to tell the elephant you're carrying to breathe in before boarding. :p

Even the new Via carry-on policy (which is just nuts on paper) is not enforced, unless you ask a conductor to lift your luggage into the train.

Most stations have now or should have received the baggage template for easily and quickly measuring bags, both checked and carry-on.

Just be aware that enforcement of the size dimensions is increasing.
The Niagara Falls station has that template right at the front door...there was one lady there the other day with a rather large suitcase but I'm not sure how big it was. I'm inclined to think that 2" isn't a big deal however I never thought about the New York end of the trip where unlike Niagara Falls...it may be enforced more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back