How Often Do Folks Get Left Behind?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
When I rode the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle in October, I asked our sleeping car attendant how often inattentive passengers are left behind at station stops and smoke breaks. It happens all the time, he said. I've ridden both the EB and the California Zephyr several times in the past couple years and have never seen this happen -- although during my last EB trip, some visitors who got on at Columbus, WI, wound up getting a trip to Portage, WI. (The engineer apparently couldn't stop the train, despite public-address requests by the conductor.)

Have you more experienced travelers seen anyone get left behind? Can the train ever stop and back up? (I'm guessing not.)

Several years ago, while transferring from the Texas Eagle to the westbound Sunset Limited in San Antonio, after final boarding call a lad ran from the station and tried to get on the "dead" Eagle as we were pulling out. We held the Coach door open yelling for him to run fast, which he did. We were still moving slowly; so he was able to hop on board with no problems, although the Conductor who was standing with us coaxing him on gave him a light scolding. Not as bad as Gene Wilder missing the Silver Streak but still pretty funny.

Although I have not seen it happen personally (that I know of), it almost happened to ME! :eek:

I was riding the TE with jimhudson up to DAL. We met saxman on the platform. The TE was running late, but I got off but stayed right next to the door. As soon as saxman said hello, THEY CLOSED THE DOOR THAT I JUST CAME OUT OF (AND WAS NEXT TO)! :eek: So I had to rush to the next car - but they were closing that door too! :eek: (In fact, the CA had to come back out, and put the step down! Jim remained in DAL.)

Before I got to the top of the stairs - we had already departed Dallas! :eek:

While I didn't see the person myself, several years ago on the Coast Starlight I heard a call on the radio from the station agent at Eugene asking our conductor to find some passenger's luggage and put it some place safe as he had walked into the station despite the warnings and gotten left behind.

For this unfortunate person, he was at least lucky enough to have pulled this stunt at place where there are other trains besides just the Coast Starlight. So they put him on a later Cascade train to Portland, or maybe it was a Thruway bus not sure, to reach Portland and to be reunited with his luggage.

When I rode the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle in October, I asked our sleeping car attendant how often inattentive passengers are left behind at station stops and smoke breaks. It happens all the time, he said. I've ridden both the EB and the California Zephyr several times in the past couple years and have never seen this happen -- although during my last EB trip, some visitors who got on at Columbus, WI, wound up getting a trip to Portage, WI. (The engineer apparently couldn't stop the train, despite public-address requests by the conductor.)
Have you more experienced travelers seen anyone get left behind? Can the train ever stop and back up? (I'm guessing not.)
This past summer I rode SS Ltd and every stop we could get off (even though I do not smoke, it was nice to stretch the legs) I stood right next to the train and kept an eye on the stool. When they started to left the stool, I got right back on.

While I didn't see the person myself, several years ago on the Coast Starlight I heard a call on the radio from the station agent at Eugene asking our conductor to find some passenger's luggage and put it some place safe as he had walked into the station despite the warnings and gotten left behind.
For this unfortunate person, he was at least lucky enough to have pulled this stunt at place where there are other trains besides just the Coast Starlight. So they put him on a later Cascade train to Portland, or maybe it was a Thruway bus not sure, to reach Portland and to be reunited with his luggage.
Good thing it was train #14 and not #11.

I was on 14 and I guess the conductor wasn't reading the manifest and didn't realize a sleeper passenger was getting off at Vancouver, WA and that person was left on the train till the next stop. BTW the train was 4 hours late.

We were waiting for the westbound California Zephyr (#5) and we were early enough to see the eastboound arrive in Glenwood Springs. It's a pretty short stop, but two teenaged girls got off the train & wandered into the station. The Staff/Conductor were looking around trying to find them, & finally did-but they came real close to being left behind!

We were waiting for the westbound California Zephyr (#5) and we were early enough to see the eastboound arrive in Glenwood Springs. It's a pretty short stop, but two teenaged girls got off the train & wandered into the station. The Staff/Conductor were looking around trying to find them, & finally did-but they came real close to being left behind!
If the conductor was off the train, looking for the girls, is there any chance that the conductor could have been left behind? It's always been my understanding that the train doesn't move 'till the conductor says "GO." :huh:

If the conductor was off the train, looking for the girls, is there any chance that the conductor could have been left behind? It's always been my understanding that the train doesn't move 'till the conductor says "GO." :huh:
Depends on whether it was the conductor or the assistant conductor. The conductor can't be left behind, unless he does something very stupid, since he does have to give the ok to go. The assistant however could potentially get left behind, although I'm pretty sure that they'd yell into their radio as soon as they heard the conductor give the ok.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Conductor carry a radio? Doesn't he confirm the "GO" to the Engineer before they go?

I've seen them walk up & down after the "ALL ABOARD" call. I'm pretty sure it was the Conductor and another person too.

I have seen a few people left behind at their originating station a time or two in the distant past.

Also, I myself have almost gotten left behind twice. Once on the CZ at Grand Junction. Another time on a steam excursion in Georgia.

just to clarify the conductor does not say go. they say amtrak (whatever the name and number of the train is) clear to highball on signal indication over. at least all the ones on youtube videos do.

I've heard many an Amtrak conductor say nothing more than "two to go". And there are other phrases that I've heard used too.

March 2006 my first Amtrak trip from LNK to EMY we were going to have a "smoke stop" in Glenwood Springs CO. We hadn't gotten out much so we decided to quickly check out the station. We were told it was going to be at least "5 minutes" so I glanced at my watch and away we went. We were holding the doors open to the station when the folks we had eaten breakfast with said, "kids the train is leaving, aren't you going all the way to EMY?" And we thought they were kidding. I looked back and saw them pulling up the yellow steps and started yelling. We made it on with time to spare but it was NOT a 5 minute smoke stop. About 2 minutes tops! I have never wandered away since then nor will I now either. :eek:

Sorry, I didn't mention "Highball" as the actual word used to signal that the train is clear to leave the station.

I was just trying to point out that I think the Conductor has the final say so after communicating with the Engineer before the train leaves.

Is that correct?

Riding the Vermonter last fall, my partner hopped off at every smoke break. In New Haven (I think) from my secure seat in the lounge car I saw him out on the platform as the train started to move. He hightailed it forward toward the door, but it was a few minutes before I knew that he got back on on time.

That was when I remembered Zig Ziglar's quip about the airlines: "I have this agreement with them - if I'm not there in time, they're to just go ahead and leave without me." Amtrak proved willing to keep its part of the bargain! :lol:

Even the cafe attendant was a little concerned: "Did he get back on that last time??" I can't say how many people DO get left, but I'll bet lots of people NEARLY get left.

now off topic but how many people missed there train due to no announcement that the train was boarding and by the time they said boarding on track whatever the train was long gone.

Doesn't the locomotive normally sound its horn at least once BEFORE it sounds to indicate releasing brakes and proceeding when at a station?

Doesn't the locomotive normally sound its horn at least once BEFORE it sounds to indicate releasing brakes and proceeding when at a station?
I thought it was a double short toot. Though, I suspect some passengers would think that meant there was still enough time for two quick cigarettes before boarding.

I thought it was a double short toot. Though, I suspect some passengers would think that meant there was still enough time for two quick cigarettes before boarding.
Some people would take that as a two minute warning!! :lol: Which would be WRONG!

Last summer, on the CS, we were at the Portland Station which is a pretty long refresh stop.

After milling about, chatting with other passengers & staff, smoking, I wanted to look at the station.

Hubby asked our SCA if we still had time, he said yes, so we went and looked, & still had plenty of time when we came back.

I would only do this on a long stop, though, and always check with someone before going in to the station.

2 shorts is the signal that the train is about to move forward, hence the slang "Two to go". They usually don't do that on the NEC, so I suspect that it's location dependent and probably relates to the rules of the host railroad they're operating on.

Last summer on the #27 in Spokane, a lady (not a passenger) came aboard to see her friend off. Didn't hear the announcements & found herself on unexpected ride to Pasco!!!

RF :rolleyes:

Last summer on the #27 in Spokane, a lady (not a passenger) came aboard to see her friend off. Didn't hear the announcements & found herself on unexpected ride to Pasco!!!RF :rolleyes:

It could have been worse. She could have been seeing a friend off in Pasco and then gotten an unexpected ride to Wishram. :lol: I think I'd much rather be stuck in Pasco than Wishram!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back