How much does Amtrak actual make (or lose) on each train trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, there are buses running INTRA-city but without tracks that run on overhead catenary. I forget where they are, I know Orion and New Flyer build such busses, and I'm sure there are others. New Flyer calls them "Trolleys".
I should also add that these go by Porter Square along Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge as MBTA route 77A, and I probably see them at least once a week. And I always want to ride them, but they never happen to be going in a direction that's useful to me at the moment I see them.

By the way, there are buses running INTRA-city but without tracks that run on overhead catenary. I forget where they are, I know Orion and New Flyer build such busses, and I'm sure there are others. New Flyer calls them "Trolleys".
Boston, San Francisco and Seattle come to mind.
Philadelphia as well. In some areas they are called "electric buses". In Philadelphia they are known as "trackless trolley's". The overhead power supply system requires two wires: one for the primary power feed and a second for the return. With a conventional trolley car (light rail), the steel wheel on the rail provides the return path. With a trackless trolley a dedicated path must be established.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back