How long does it take?????

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know how long it takes to get a response from the corporate offices for guest relations in Washington DC. The following is a letter i wrote them explaining my nightmare weekend trip last month. The letter was written in 3-29-10

Hi

I am writing to say i am very disappointed the way my past trip was handled.

I had reservations on Friday 3-26-10 from Ann Arbor MI to Lancaster PA. When i arrived at the Ann Arbor station they told me there was going to be a 2 hr delay, which i thought no issue. When i arrive in Toledo they told me the same thing because of a freight train derailment. I thought right then this could be trouble, and again asked the agent how accurate the information was, because i told her i could rent a car, and meet my connection in Pittsburgh. She insisted the train was to arrive shortly, so i took her word and waited. A while later they informed us that the train would arrive at 5am. I then called the 800 number and they promised they could get me to Lancaster by 4:30 or 5pm. I thought ok amtrak was always good to me in the past, so i continued to wait. Then a while later they informed us that it would be a 7am arrival. By that time i knew they could not get me to Lancaster until at least 7pm so at that time i decided it has been a very long night and decided to return to Ann Arbor. The ticket agent in Toledo refunded my fares. When i went to get on the bus the driver insisted on $18.00 for the fare. I told him the agent would waive this, but he said he didn't have time to run around talking to agents and insisted on the fare. I gave him a twenty dollar bill from the bus, and he issued me no receipt or change. (Guessing that went right in his pocket)

The thing that upsets me the most is that i missed a family wedding, and a concert.

They also told me i should have allowed an extra day in case of trouble. Not a very good response.

When i called customer relations they were very rude to me and insisted a $30.00 travel voucher should satisfy me. Well minus the $20.00 for the bus driver That is $10.00 for my nightmare. They were really tough on me and told me to write you folks.

Again i am very well aware that a train derailment could be a very lengthy delay and tried to handle it, by offering to rent a car at my expense so i could meet my Pittsburgh connection, but kept insisting i don't do that and that it will all work out. So again the answer i don't know would have been a much better answer that a promise of a firm time. I have used Amtrak numerous times over the years and had nothing but positive things to say. I even have a major vacation booked though Amtrak, for the end of June into July, and really looking forward to it. For some reason everybody involved with this, seemed like they hated their jobs, and did not want to hear me ( mainly customer relations ) and that was not how i expected to be treated.

Thank you so much for taking time to read this

So what do you folks on this forum think. Was i justified in writing, or did i waste my time, or does it really take a while for a response.

Whenever I have troubles with Amtrak, I explain the situation and then say something along the lines of "this is unacceptable and I want my money back". A strong assertive tone with that tag line at the end gets their attention and keeps you from getting swept under the rug. I may not get a full refund as per my initial unreasonable demand, but I always end up satisfied to my real expectations. Sometimes you have to be a jerk to get their attention and it sucks that the world works this way.

You already got your fare back, you did get promis of voucher but are upset that you had to pay for bus.

The Bus driver was right, the agent should have given you a bus ticket or voucher, or at least a note to tell busdriver in writing.

You on other hand should not have taken a verbal ticket to Bus driver, as he indeed has no time to go check with agents.

as for your weekend , I doubt Amtrak can guarantee no derailments or delays that they themself can not control.

You want an apology by Amtrak for what others have caused ????

Being that AMTRAK is not responsible for the tracks, I would guess the info they gave you was the best and most accurate --- up until the point someone else decided it would be a few more hours.

SO, exactly what do you want AMTRAK to do? They gave you a refund, gave you back you $20, and tossed in an extra $10. Very generous for a situation likely not in their control.

Hey, travel delays happen. Use your voucher, and have a Great trip next time.

It sounds like you had an unfortunate situation and I'm sorry you had to go through it. I don't exactly know what you would like from Amtrak, but it sounds like it would be nice if agents provided better information to passengers during derailment delays. Also, it would be nice for agents to provide or otherwise encourage alternatives during these delays (which may be difficult given the changing conditions).

As a learning experience, it sounds like you had a Plan B ready to go. In hindsight, it may have been best to execute your alternative to definitely get to your destination on time when Amtrak's likely solution didn't materialize within a timely fashion. Amtrak was saying it was likely, but ultimately couldn't follow through.

I think inconsistent handling of delays and route closures can be a frustrating part of traveling on Amtrak. Sometimes Amtrak can provide alternatives, but sometimes they cancel trains with no alternative provided. I understand it is extremely difficult for any large transportation company to marshal the resources for contingencies, but consistency or some general plan would be appreciated.

Again, I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience. I hope that this travel delay and experience doesn't put you off train travel.

Does anybody know how long it takes to get a response from the corporate offices for guest relations in Washington DC. The following is a letter i wrote them explaining my nightmare weekend trip last month. The letter was written in 3-29-10Hi

I am writing to say i am very disappointed the way my past trip was handled.

I had reservations on Friday 3-26-10 from Ann Arbor MI to Lancaster PA. When i arrived at the Ann Arbor station they told me there was going to be a 2 hr delay, which i thought no issue. When i arrive in Toledo they told me the same thing because of a freight train derailment. I thought right then this could be trouble, and again asked the agent how accurate the information was, because i told her i could rent a car, and meet my connection in Pittsburgh. She insisted the train was to arrive shortly, so i took her word and waited. A while later they informed us that the train would arrive at 5am. I then called the 800 number and they promised they could get me to Lancaster by 4:30 or 5pm. I thought ok amtrak was always good to me in the past, so i continued to wait. Then a while later they informed us that it would be a 7am arrival. By that time i knew they could not get me to Lancaster until at least 7pm so at that time i decided it has been a very long night and decided to return to Ann Arbor. The ticket agent in Toledo refunded my fares. When i went to get on the bus the driver insisted on $18.00 for the fare. I told him the agent would waive this, but he said he didn't have time to run around talking to agents and insisted on the fare. I gave him a twenty dollar bill from the bus, and he issued me no receipt or change. (Guessing that went right in his pocket)

The thing that upsets me the most is that i missed a family wedding, and a concert.

They also told me i should have allowed an extra day in case of trouble. Not a very good response.

When i called customer relations they were very rude to me and insisted a $30.00 travel voucher should satisfy me. Well minus the $20.00 for the bus driver That is $10.00 for my nightmare. They were really tough on me and told me to write you folks.

Again i am very well aware that a train derailment could be a very lengthy delay and tried to handle it, by offering to rent a car at my expense so i could meet my Pittsburgh connection, but kept insisting i don't do that and that it will all work out. So again the answer i don't know would have been a much better answer that a promise of a firm time. I have used Amtrak numerous times over the years and had nothing but positive things to say. I even have a major vacation booked though Amtrak, for the end of June into July, and really looking forward to it. For some reason everybody involved with this, seemed like they hated their jobs, and did not want to hear me ( mainly customer relations ) and that was not how i expected to be treated.

Thank you so much for taking time to read this

So what do you folks on this forum think. Was i justified in writing, or did i waste my time, or does it really take a while for a response.
Hi. I'm sorry to hear to had such a bad experience. I would suggest calling Amtrak & talk to a Supervisor at Customer Relations. I know I sent an email to them and never got a proper response until I called. At that point, the Customer Service Agent told me the email response time was average of six weeks! I calmly explained the problems with our trip, & she sent us a voucher, & apologized several times. There's nothing wrong with sending a letter or email, but I would call again with ticket #s & names if you have them, etc.

I would not let it put you off your next trip. If you are concerned, I would express that when you call.

I hope your next trip is much better!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the part that upset me the most was they gave me a firm answer of a 2 hr delay. Come to find out about 4 1/2 hrs later that the train was just approaching Kalamazoo which is still a minimum of at least 4 hrs from Toledo. Don't they know where these trains are before they give out information. If they don't know where the train is then just tell me and be honest. what is to be gained on their part by giving false info. This did cost me a few dollars (which is not the major issue here) in non-refundable prepaid hotel reservations, which i think about now i should have never done. Also a flight for my girlfriend who came in from Atlanta and the cost of the concert tickets which could not be used. They were held at the will call window in my name and would not release them to her to use. I realize that this is not the fault of Amtrak. What i expect from Amtrak is an apology for the false info, along with the very rude customer service (who refused to let me speak to supervisors) If they made any kind of effort to work with me it would not have came down to this. I have heard in the past of people getting much more in vouchers for less headaches.(so what they offered seemed like kind of a slap in the face) And no i will not let this discourage me from future train travel, as i love it too much (and yes i have logged a lot of miles in the past with no glitches at all), but at some point they have to admit they handled things wrong, apologize and let us move forward

I guess the part that upset me the most was they gave me a firm answer of a 2 hr delay. Come to find out about 4 1/2 hrs later that the train was just approaching Kalamazoo which is still a minimum of at least 4 hrs from Toledo. Don't they know where these trains are before they give out information. If they don't know where the train is then just tell me and be honest. what is to be gained on their part by giving false info. This did cost me a few dollars (which is not the major issue here) in non-refundable prepaid hotel reservations, which i think about now i should have never done. Also a flight for my girlfriend who came in from Atlanta and the cost of the concert tickets which could not be used. They were held at the will call window in my name and would not release them to her to use. I realize that this is not the fault of Amtrak. What i expect from Amtrak is an apology for the false info, along with the very rude customer service (who refused to let me speak to supervisors) If they made any kind of effort to work with me it would not have came down to this. I have heard in the past of people getting much more in vouchers for less headaches.(so what they offered seemed like kind of a slap in the face) And no i will not let this discourage me from future train travel, as i love it too much (and yes i have logged a lot of miles in the past with no glitches at all), but at some point they have to admit they handled things wrong, apologize and let us move forward
I am surprised that they gave you a delay that was that far off. I thought the stations had more accurate info.

When we ride, I check online at amtrak.com before we even go to the station. We also use amtrakdelays.com & trainweb.org/capt/AmtrakMapsForward.html. I watch that one all the time.

I would still call Customer Service again. Make sure you tell them about your previous encounter with Customer Service. I hope you got the name(s) of the prior agents. Pass that info along. I would expect at least an apology too.

I used to work Customer Service for another company. Prior to me arriving, the employees would give gift certificates for everything. The customers would call & say so & so had lipstick on her teeth & expect a gift certificate & an apology-it was crazy.

I hope you do call them again, & please come back & let us know the results!

I will give that another try tomorrow, and let you know how that conversation went. Thank you for the advise and concern.

Too funny because when i got home from work, i did receive a response from Amtrak. It was an apology letter and a very nice travel voucher. They agreed with me that the rude customer service should have never happened, and the promise of firm times should have never been given out. I do agree that this delay was not the fault of Amtrak but the way it was handled was not satisfactory. I am going to respond tonight with a letter back to the person who responded with a thank you letter. Again the amount of that voucher really did shock me, as i am ever so grateful. Sounds like a trip out west next winter is in the plans now. Again thanks to everybody who responded////////agreed or disagreed, it is all appreciated.

Too funny because when i got home from work, i did receive a response from Amtrak. It was an apology letter and a very nice travel voucher. They agreed with me that the rude customer service should have never happened, and the promise of firm times should have never been given out. I do agree that this delay was not the fault of Amtrak but the way it was handled was not satisfactory. I am going to respond tonight with a letter back to the person who responded with a thank you letter. Again the amount of that voucher really did shock me, as i am ever so grateful. Sounds like a trip out west next winter is in the plans now. Again thanks to everybody who responded////////agreed or disagreed, it is all appreciated.

That is good news to me! I realize it can be frustrating when trying to get an issue taken care of & you feel like you get the brush off, but most companies are willing to correct a bad situation. Most people will repeat a bad story many times more than a good one. Most companies know this.

Enjoy your next trip! :cool:

I guess the part that upset me the most was they gave me a firm answer of a 2 hr delay. Come to find out about 4 1/2 hrs later that the train was just approaching Kalamazoo which is still a minimum of at least 4 hrs from Toledo. Don't they know where these trains are before they give out information. If they don't know where the train is then just tell me and be honest. what is to be gained on their part by giving false info.
Maybe the agent DID have accurate info --- info supplied by the computer based on reports from crews and estimates from the host railroad, etc etc

OK, I will agree a 'firm time' might be a problem, but to call their responses "false" is a little harsh.

I am glad you got something in return, but honestly, travel is ALWAYS flexible, regardless.

They were really tough on me and told me to write you folks.

I was happy to see at the end of the thread that they issued you a generous voucher. Glad you will continue riding the rails. However, the bit I quoted above is perhaps the most surprising part of your story! :blink:

Amtrak Customer Relations told you to come on to the AmtrakTrains.com forum and write something here?

Did I hear that right? :lol:

They were really tough on me and told me to write you folks.

I was happy to see at the end of the thread that they issued you a generous voucher. Glad you will continue riding the rails. However, the bit I quoted above is perhaps the most surprising part of your story! :blink:

Amtrak Customer Relations told you to come on to the AmtrakTrains.com forum and write something here?

Did I hear that right? :lol:
Actually no. That was part of the letter i sent to the customer relations dept. in Wash. DC. The customer service folks told me to write DC to further complain.

I guess the part that upset me the most was they gave me a firm answer of a 2 hr delay. Come to find out about 4 1/2 hrs later that the train was just approaching Kalamazoo which is still a minimum of at least 4 hrs from Toledo. Don't they know where these trains are before they give out information. If they don't know where the train is then just tell me and be honest. what is to be gained on their part by giving false info.
Maybe the agent DID have accurate info --- info supplied by the computer based on reports from crews and estimates from the host railroad, etc etc

OK, I will agree a 'firm time' might be a problem, but to call their responses "false" is a little harsh.

I am glad you got something in return, but honestly, travel is ALWAYS flexible, regardless.
I did offer to rent a car at my expense to meet my connection but they told me that everything will be ok and advised me not to, so i did take their word and waited. I absolutely love traveling with Amtrak and will continue to do so for life. But if problems do occur i expect honesty, so i can utilize other options if i have to.

I did offer to rent a car at my expense to meet my connection but they told me that everything will be ok and advised me not to, so i did take their word and waited. I absolutely love traveling with Amtrak and will continue to do so for life. But if problems do occur i expect honesty, so i can utilize other options if i have to.
It's not a lack of honesty, it's a lack of real time info. Amtrak doesn't have GPS on all of its trains yet. So they rely on station agents/managers to post the times a train left their station and routine checks with the host Railroads to know where a train is at any given point in time.

And of course a train can leave station "A" 10 minutes late and then encounter a problem that makes it one hour late and it could be quite some time before agents down the line know that things have changed for the arrival at station "B".

Thank you Alan. That thought really never crossed my mind. At the time of delay all kinds of nasty thoughts go through your mind and unfortunately stay there. Maybe i did jump the gun a bit, and if so then i do apologize. but then again if the people at guest relations were more reasonable, and not so rude the voucher would have never been an issue. Again i LOVE Amtrak and most of the employees that gave me great times throughout the years, but a few bad or very rude people in guest relations can be very damaging no matter if the customer is right of wrong. In my business we just apologize very aggressively and hope that being extra nice is enough. When people are mean and rude it causes a chain reaction that is not always the best for either party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back