How long do they hold?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x-press

Service Attendant
My parents (who also love train travel, albeit in different ways), are planning a southwest trip in March.

With the next schedule change, apparently the eastbound Chief connects to the Capitol Limited with 2:15 to spare. Now, I know the Chief is one of the best timekeepers as far as l.d. goes (I did my version of this trip last summer), and that Amtrak at least tries to make arrangements if you miss the connection. I also know that if I were taking this trip, I'd stay overnight in Chi-town, but I just can't sell them on it.

How tenuous do you think the connection is? How long do they routinely hold the Capitol for connections? Anecdotal AND "official" answers are welcome!

JPS

I'd say that 1 hour is about the max that they'll hold an outgoing train. I know that's how long they held my Lake Shore back in June. In the case of your parents X-press, if the Chief were later Amtrak might well offer them the LSL as an alternative if the Chief is too late.

I'd say that 1 hour is about the max that they'll hold an outgoing train. I know that's how long they held my Lake Shore back in June. In the case of your parents X-press, if the Chief were later Amtrak might well offer them the LSL as an alternative if the Chief is too late.
I agree Alan,

When my Wife and I took the LSL to Massachusetts last year from Chicago, we were held for the late CZ for about 45 minutes. The Conducter was in our Sleeper(standing at the doorway) and he was told they could hold the train for one hour, but then had to leave. I felt sorry for the poor connecting passengers who were unceremoniously hustled across the platform and onto our train.

Thanks, Alan.

Since this is a guest-rewards paid trip (man, I LOVE that card), I suggested they take the Lake Shore to begin with. That way they'll be guaranteed their reserved sleeper on it, something that would be doubtful with last-minute accomodations.

Thanks to everyone!

JPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back