How I spent my President's Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MStrain

Service Attendant
So my wife is at work all day (nurses don't get bank holidays!) and I was bored. So I put my sidekick in the car (my Brittany spaniel) and we rode down to the freight yard south of Jackson, MS to see some KCS engines in action. Then, we drove downtown to the newly (2005 or so) renovated Union Station. If you are ever in the area, stop in and say hi to Rob, the station agent. Super nice guy and a 15 year vet of Amtrak. Enjoy!!!! They are not in order dangit...oh well. Make sure you click the I icon on the photos to see what the heck the pictures are of!!!! :p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23938317@N06/...ith/2274563691/

So my wife is at work all day (nurses don't get bank holidays!) and I was bored. So I put my sidekick in the car (my Brittany spaniel) and we rode down to the freight yard south of Jackson, MS to see some KCS engines in action. Then, we drove downtown to the newly (2005 or so) renovated Union Station. If you are ever in the area, stop in and say hi to Rob, the station agent. Super nice guy and a 15 year vet of Amtrak. Enjoy!!!! They are not in order dangit...oh well. Make sure you click the I icon on the photos to see what the heck the pictures are of!!!! :p
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23938317@N06/...ith/2274563691/
Nice Trains - Nice Station - Nice Dog!

She's a dang fine dog...thanks for saying so!!! She likes train horns too...... :lol:

She really is a good dog. She would ride on the train with me if they'd let her....she'd sit in the seat just like a human.

Was this the station that volunteers helped to renovate and a PBS special made about it? Looks like a might fine station! Thanks for sharing the pics! Also, nurses rock! When my mom was dying a doctor told us she was "rebounding" and that she would "rebound" to being in a coma in a nursing home. My exact words were, "you call that rebounding?!?" And he was kind of a turd with his reply. The nurse came in, checked my mom's vitals and said this exact statement: "Your mom is dying and she's trying one last time to possibly recover, more than likely she will pass away in about 48 hours." Well...56 hours later my mom passed and the nurse nailed it on the head. She was genuinely nice, talked to us in english and not doctor latin and was always pleasant to us. Thank you for what you do.

Love your side kick! Did you happen to notice if the KCS has remote controlled any of its switch engines? The Jackson depot languished in disrepair for years and I'm delighted that it has come back to life. It was on my no go list much like Memphis was before its face lift; you never knew what lurked in the hallways, especially in elevated stations. . Now if we can get Birmingham cleaned up we'll have accomplished something. They just finished Hattiesburg and it looks great. Rob's a great guy~ he has worked Hammond (LA) on occasion and really enjoys his job and is very good at what he does.

Love your side kick! Did you happen to notice if the KCS has remote controlled any of its switch engines? The Jackson depot languished in disrepair for years and I'm delighted that it has come back to life. It was on my no go list much like Memphis was before its face lift; you never knew what lurked in the hallways, especially in elevated stations. . Now if we can get Birmingham cleaned up we'll have accomplished something. They just finished Hattiesburg and it looks great. Rob's a great guy~ he has worked Hammond (LA) on occasion and really enjoys his job and is very good at what he does.
I'm not sure about the KCS remote control, but I can check. When I was a lad in Boy Scouts, we took the train from Jackson, MS to Minnesota, VIA Chicago. That was the coolest trip of my life, and we all left from the old station....which, as you said, was sad at the time. It had basically fallen into disrepair in the late 60s and never recovered. The new station is great and very open, bright, and welcoming. Just be careful if you "cross the tracks". That is on the EDGE of where locals fear to tread!

Happy Rail-Riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back