How far ahead to book a roomette on SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazzman

Train Attendant
I'm planning to take the SWC from Chicago to Los Angeles in mid November. I want to reserve a roomette going and coming back at the end of Nov. How far ahead should I get these tickets? Considering it will be the Thanksgiving holiday, will the roomettes book up fast? And also - how many roomettes are there on these SWC trains? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check Amsnag.net and get feel for where prices are for your travel period.

It is not too soon to book for the holiday travel season. I am booked for the Empire Builder for travel around Christmas. It is a good thing, because roomette prices have gone up for my dates since I booked last month.

There are 26 revenue roomettes total in the 2 regular sleepers. They may sell 4-6 in the transdorm, too.

We usually travel to ABQ around Thanksgiving. The roomettes book up FAST. Now is definitely a good time to get them if they're under $350. You can always cancel and rebook if the fare goes down later.

Don't cancel & rebook at a lower price but instead call and request the lower price. Make sure the agent gets you a room @ the lower price BEFORE canceling your current room. They may be able to make the change and keep you in the same room you were orig booked in.

I will add, from reading many, many posts here on AU, if you need to ask for the lower fare, make sure the agent understands and doesn't cancel your room. Apparently, many agents don't understand how to do that or how the system works. You might need to ask for a supervisor.

I always done a reseravtion on any train with sleepers atleast three months out.

Note that for a paid sleeper reservation where the fare drops, you can only get 90% of the difference back as a refund. A 10% "refund fee" (with a minimum of $5) is taken off is taken off before the refund is issued. If the fare drops $200, repricing at the new fare will result in a refund of $180.

You can get 100% of the difference applied to a voucher toward future travel, but you cannot get a full refund for a drop in sleeper fare.

I always done a reseravtion on any train with sleepers atleast three months out.
While I hold this to be generally true, I have found instances as recently as April 2013 when I was able to book a roomette on the CZ 24 hours before departure at the lowest bucket rate. Found this thru amsnag, and I decided to switch to coach from roomette specifically because amsnag said roomettes were available at the lowest bucket while coach was several buckets higher than rock bottom.

Conclusion: all hope is not lost for last-minute bookings or changes to bookings, and so it is always worth a check to amsnag, even at the last minute.

What's a bucket? -- although I think it's train-speak for a seat/reservation??
A fare bucket. Amtrak has X amount of rooms at X price. As the rooms start to sell out, the rooms go up to Y price, then Z.

So when we talk about low bucket vs high bucket, we're talking about the value of the room. You'll see people ask, "Is it worth it to grab the room now since it appears to be high bucket, or is this a low bucket fare?" People who ride that route frequently can usually tell if it's lower or higher than usual.

There are some dead giveaways. For example, roomettes on the SWC start around $230 between my two cities, so when I see them up toward $800, I know that's high bucket. Even if someone didn't ride the SWC, though, an $800 roomette is a pretty big clue they're almost sold out.

Sometimes, travel agencies or tour groups will book a block of rooms, which puts the rest of them into a higher bucket. Then, as those rooms are released (because they weren't booked), you'll see the bucket come back down. That's why it's a good idea to keep checking the room prices as your vacation gets closer.

What's a bucket? -- although I think it's train-speak for a seat/reservation??
A "bucket" is a fare class, both on Amtrak and in most airlines. On Amtrak, it is typical for the first batch of sleeping rooms to be bookable at the lowest fare (i.e., in the "lowest bucket"). And as the number of bookings increases (and, thus, the remaining inventory of rooms declines) for that travel date, the next increment of rooms are booked at a higher fare. I believe there are typically 4 buckets of room fares on the SWC and CZ -- the difference between lowest and highest bucket could be a factor or 2 or more in price. All of this is done in the name of "revenue management". And it is rare indeed today for Amtrak to LOWER fares for sleeper rooms at the very last minute, in order to fill any remaining empty rooms. I believe their logic is that doing so might entice even more people to wait to the last minute to book sleeping car space.

chakk said: And it is rare indeed today for Amtrak to LOWER fares for sleeper rooms at the very last minute, in order to fill any remaining empty rooms. I believe their logic is that doing so might entice even more people to wait to the last minute to book sleeping car space.

( sarcasm) Yes, it's a much better plan to have them run empty, as both bedrooms in 4820 were on my last LSL trip. (/sarcasm)

I understand their logic, I just don't agree with it......if the room has not sold the day before departure, I'm doubtful it will sell. Bring back the onboard upgrade! :)

chakk said: And it is rare indeed today for Amtrak to LOWER fares for sleeper rooms at the very last minute, in order to fill any remaining empty rooms. I believe their logic is that doing so might entice even more people to wait to the last minute to book sleeping car space.
( sarcasm) Yes, it's a much better plan to have them run empty, as both bedrooms in 4820 were on my last LSL trip. (/sarcasm)

I understand their logic, I just don't agree with it......if the room has not sold the day before departure, I'm doubtful it will sell. Bring back the onboard upgrade! :)
True this Mike!! ;)

I believe there are typically 4 buckets of room fares on the SWC and CZ -- the difference between lowest and highest bucket could be a factor or 2 or more in price.
There are 5 bucket levels for sleepers on all trains that run with sleepers. In order from lowest to highest they are: D, C, B, A, and S. This is not to suggest that Amtrak always places a quantity of rooms in each bucket. There are times around the holidays where Amtrak might place 1 or 2 rooms in the D bucket, place zero in the C bucket, and then 4 or 5 in the B bucket, with all the remaining rooms in the highest two buckets A & S.

D - Deal of a lifetime

C - Cheap

B - Borrow money

A - As if

S - Sucks to be you

Back