How difficult are the stairs on superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was on the CS a few years ago, an elderly woman fell down the stairs and was seriously injured. She hurt herself very badly, and had to be taken off the train on a stretcher.

We were delayed by about an hour while they attended to her (the paramedics were worried about a back / neck injury, and understandably took their time). In talking about the incident with other attendants, this person on our train made it extra hard on herself & made the chance of injury more likely. Following their tips may help you.

1) Try to time your trips up and down the stairs with station stops. It's a lot easier to use the stairs when the train isn't moving.

2) Wear sensible, comfortable shoes that will give you good grip and balance. The injured woman on our train was wearing heels.

3) Don't try to carry your luggage - even a small bag can trip you up or prevent you from grabbing the rail when you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi June,

If you haven't already, call Customer Service and ask for assistance boarding the train in CHI. They should be able to have a Red Cap take you to the train and carry your bag upstairs. This usually occurs a few minutes before the first general boarding call.

Enjoy your trip.

Wouldn't they let someone with a mobility issue climbing stairs if they were able to, sit upstairs so they might be able to enjoy the lounge and diner, and then use the upper level restroom in the nearest sleeper as another option? Just asking....

When I rode from Anchorage to Fairbanks on Holland America's private double deck dome cars on the Alaska RR several years ago, they actually had a lift between decks. It came in very handy for the demographic that rode that train.... ;)

My dad walks with a cane, mostly for balance issues, and finds it easier to move around on the train WITHOUT his cane, holding on to seat backs and the walls of the narrow corridors and stairs. The very narrowness of the stairwell is an advantage for this. His cane, he finds, just gets in the way.

My dad walks with a cane, mostly for balance issues, and finds it easier to move around on the train WITHOUT his cane, holding on to seat backs and the walls of the narrow corridors and stairs. The very narrowness of the stairwell is an advantage for this. His cane, he finds, just gets in the way.
My cane is a quad-foot cane not only because of balance, but because I have very weak ankles so I need it to take some of the weight off the ankles. Most people use a cane with one of the two steps they take, mine is with both steps. I may find that using the cane will be hard on the train, but it helps me get up with stability to lean on.

I will be sitting upstairs on the SWC as I just got off the phone with Cust. Serv. and all seats are full. I am leaving WOR and going to EUG. Both have checked bags, so I may check my rolling bag and only have the shoulder bag.

The only issue is that my bag will travel on the EB and then down to EUG, where I am going to LAX and up to EUG. Has anyone had any experience with this happening and is the luggage there when you get there a day later than the luggage does?

On our last trip, we sent a bag home from Oceanside, CA to Cleveland. We took the CS to the CZ, the bag took the SWC, getting there a day earlier than we did. It was there waiting for us when we got home, no problem. I think they will store your bag for up to three days until they start charging a fee.

On our last trip, we sent a bag home from Oceanside, CA to Cleveland. We took the CS to the CZ, the bag took the SWC, getting there a day earlier than we did. It was there waiting for us when we got home, no problem. I think they will store your bag for up to three days until they start charging a fee.
Thanks, I figure not having to struggle with the big bag and only having the shoulder bag and my cane would make it easier to get up the stairs and then back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back