How can I use my voucher...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
I am holding a voucher for $400 for train travel, given to me last summer after some bad delays and cancellations (flooding).

It must be presented in person to pay for tickets. How can I make reservations in advance by phone or on line when they require payment within a week? I would like to have a reservation way in advance and then pay for the ticket with the voucher on the day I travel. Any ideas? (The nearest Amtrak agent is 2 hours south - )

When I had vouchers, I did it two ways:

Once paying on my CC then at the station, having the agent recharge it to the voucher with the remainder on the CC

The other time, I told the agent I lived too far from a manned station so she noted in the reservation that I would be paying at the station on the day of travel. As it happened, I was near a station earlier than my travel date and so stopped by and paid for it then using the voucher plus CC.

Amtrak agents are very good in my experience about working with you especially those that work the late shift when they are not so busy. If they say it can't be done, you can always ask if they could consult with a supervisor or call back at a different time.

Yikes - two hours from Portland?! That is some beautiful country up there :)

Like others have mentioned, call to book your travel and explain that you live over two hours away from a ticket agent. See what they will offer to you in terms of holding the reservation.

Our agents in CLE have been very helpful and have always just credited a trip we paid for with a CC, used the voucher to pay and then put the remainder back on the card. :) The men and women who are agents in CLE are top notch and have always been friendly and helpful in answering any questions we have.

I just used a voucher a few months ago. I live many hours from a station. I called to make the reservation and the agent on the phone noted I could pay on the day of travel with the voucher. It worked out perfectly even though travel was almost two months from the time I made the reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back