How best to set up trip and use AGR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Z

Service Attendant
I have booked our trip for next summer. We will be travelling from FUL to ORL and then back (with stops in SAV, WAS, NYP). I paid for the whole trip with one reservation.

My question is. As I gather points, can I call in and spend them for segments of the above trip? Will the whole reservation be cancelled and re-done each time? Would it be better if I call in and break it all up now, and then use the AGR as I can?

It is set up as:

FUL-ABQ

ABQ-ORL

ORL-SAV

SAV-WAS

WAS-NYP

NYP-FUL

I am worried that if I save up all the points and wait too late, when I call in and convert it, there is that slim chance (someone here brought it to my attention) that another caller can nab my spots, which are mainly sleepers.

Any suggestions as to how to line it up and be efficient and safe? At the end of this month, I will have 6,000 points, then I am going to buy the bonus points, so will have 15,000 more. I have another 6,000 coming and if my new credit card works, at some point, I will get a bonus 50,000 (does anyone know how long it really takes before the Sapphire points hit my AGR acct?). Also, I can buy some points with my daughter's name and have her "purchase" a portion of the above as well - using the 15,000 for one part.

What parts of this trip would be most important to lock in?? For us, the first part is most important, as we hope to arrive on the date planned. Coming back, we are staying here and there and not too worried about dates, but definitely want to hang on to sleeper rooms :)

Thank you very much!

FUL-ABQ

ABQ-ORL

ORL-SAV

SAV-WAS

WAS-NYP

NYP-FUL
I might be inclined to separate the FUL-ABQ segment from the ABQ-ORL segment, As I remember, you plan to use points for the ABQ-ORL segment. Also, if you are not aware, you can go from WAS to NYP (not on the Acela) for 3,000 points per person!
happy.gif

Personally I would separate all the segments. This way, you can pick up just the tickets for the next segment at the station. This way (as you have it written), when the tickets are printed in ORL, the NYP-FUL tickets will also be printed!
ohmy.gif
So you'll have to hold on to them while you're in SAV, WAS and NYP! I personally would rather get my SAV-WAS tickets when I leave SAV, my WAS-NYP tickets when I leave WAS and my NYP-FUL tickets when I leave NYP! Plus it makes it so much easier in case you have to change for some reason.

Also, I can buy some points with my daughter's name and have her "purchase" a portion of the above as well - using the 15,000 for one part.
Yes, as long as she has her own account. And I would not pay to transfer points (since there is an extra cost to do so). Since you can redeem an award for anyone, why not redeem from her account?
huh.gif

Sorry to keep asking "almost" the same question, just trying to get it right in my head!

So, I could called Amtrak and ask them to re-book my whole trip into segments? Tell them that I want to be able to ticket separately and also that I might be using points later?

Thanks for suggesting pulling the FUL-ABQ out and getting the large part of our trip for just 2 zones! That is awesome!!

FUL-ABQ

ABQ-ORL

ORL-SAV

SAV-WAS

WAS-NYP

NYP-FUL
I might be inclined to separate the FUL-ABQ segment from the ABQ-ORL segment, As I remember, you plan to use points for the ABQ-ORL segment. Also, if you are not aware, you can go from WAS to NYP (not on the Acela) for 3,000 points per person!
happy.gif

Personally I would separate all the segments. This way, you can pick up just the tickets for the next segment at the station. This way (as you have it written), when the tickets are printed in ORL, the NYP-FUL tickets will also be printed!
ohmy.gif
So you'll have to hold on to them while you're in SAV, WAS and NYP! I personally would rather get my SAV-WAS tickets when I leave SAV, my WAS-NYP tickets when I leave WAS and my NYP-FUL tickets when I leave NYP! Plus it makes it so much easier in case you have to change for some reason.

Also, I can buy some points with my daughter's name and have her "purchase" a portion of the above as well - using the 15,000 for one part.
Yes, as long as she has her own account. And I would not pay to transfer points (since there is an extra cost to do so). Since you can redeem an award for anyone, why not redeem from her account?
huh.gif

That is correct - but each segment MUST have it's own reservation number! Otherwise when reservation #xxxxxx is printed in ORL, it will print ALL 4 segments!

If you haven't booked any of these yet, you can do it online yourself. Just book (at separate times) one after another:

FUL-ABQ

ABQ-ORL

ORL-SAV

SAV-WAS

WAS-NYP

NYP-FUL

Each will have a separate reservation number, and will allow you to just print one segment at a time.
smile.gif

Back