How are H Room Reservations Done?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and her sister are planning a Cardinal trip PHL to CHI early next year. My wife is in good physical health but her sister is handicapped and would need the H room. Since we have never booked an H room I am just wondering how to make a reservation for them. Don't see any provision for requesting this online. Must her sister submit doctors notes to Amtrak of her condition before they will sell her the room? Replies are appreciated.

In my past experience with H, no documentation was necessary. I booked over the phone with no problem whatsoever. The agent might ask what your sister-in-law’s disability is and if she needs assistance to and from the train but they normally don’t get very invasive with the questioning. Also, as a reminder, if she’s not physically able to climb the stairs, she can ask the SCA to deliver her meals. You and your wife are welcome to join her as well, of course, as delivery is always an option for everyone in the sleepers.

The traveling companion is also eligible for a rail fare discount.

It used to be, said companion would ride free....and that was a mere two years ago. I booked the H room for my mom and my sister was her companion. They didn’t charge me for her. That happened on a previous trip as well.

Online, select passenger with disability (PWD) on the drop down where you see Adult as the default. It will open a page where you answer some questions and then you’ll continue to a booking page. Depending on your answers the H room should appear in the far right column where rooms & BC show up.

Back