Hotels in San Francisco Bay area

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
I need some choices for clean and safe hotels in the bay area for these stations: Jack London Square, Emeryville, and Fisherman's Wharf. Anyone have any suggestions?

Not on Fisherman's Wharf (horrible tourist trap that locals rarely, if ever, venture through unless needed) but our "Go To" hotel in San Francisco is the Chancellor Hotel on Union Square. You have the Powell Street cable car line with a stop right out the front door, and it is easy walking distance from the Powell St./Market St. BART/MUNI/Amtrak California station stop. Rates are very affordable (for SF) and the hotel is a comfortable older establishment (built in 1914 and very well maintained since then.)

Chancellor Hotel Union Square

I can't really recommend any Hotels in Oakland including Jack London Square, they are Overpriced for what you get and Oakland, including jack London Square is Fairly Dangerous now a days! In Emeryville the Hilton Garden Inn close to the Amtrak Station is Nice and under $125 a Night most days which is a Good Price for the Bay Area! I've never stayed in San Francisco itself but do know the Hotels are Expensive most times of the year,(as was said, avoid Fisherman Wharf Tourist Traps!) you didnt say when you were going but I recommend you use Google and look up Hotels on the many Travel Sights, for example Kayak will give you lots of choices as will other sites that show you Prices,Location, Pictuires, General info and User Reviews!

I just stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville, and it was nice, and significantly cheaper than the Hyatt House. But although it's not very far from the Emeryville Amtrak station, it's on the other side of the freeway, and there is a maze of under- and overpasses in the area. As a result, I decided to take a cab between the station and the hotel, at around $8 each way. Someone on AU could probably give walking directions; the desk person at the hotel said it was only a 10-minute walk.

I stayed here, Water Front Hotel, in Jack London Square & it was very comfortable!!!! Right next to the ferry to San Fran.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last January, my sister and I stayed at the SF Radisson in Fishermans Wharf. It was very clean, safe, and comfortable. It's only about a block and a half from the Amtrak bus stop, but our bus dirver took us directly to the hotel and let us out at the front door. However, I noticed that the rates are significantly higher now than when we were there. We paid $154. per night. I guess it depends on the time of year. January is definitely off-season.

There is a Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf that my wife have stayed in a few times. reasonably priced and in a safe area.

Best hotel in Oakland is probably the Oakland Marriott City Center on Broadway and 8th. I haven't stayed there, but I have been there at night after dining nearby. I guess the neighborhood isn't great at night (no worse than Market Street in San Francisco at night) but it isn't East Oakland or West Oakland which suffer from mostly gang on gang violence.

I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville, and even remember when it was a Holiday Inn for about 30 years. It's actually pretty nice, but I'd recommend a room on the west (bay view) side. I booked a room on the freeway (mountain) side and the noise was pretty noticeable at all hours. Other than that, it's a fairly nice place to stay. Maybe not quite a full service hotel like the regular Hilton brand, but just as well appointed and equipped in the rooms. It's supposedly 3* like Courtyard hotels - which I've found to be OK but not at the same level as the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville.

I stayed there after attending a party. I live less than 5 miles from the place and at the time worked almost next door.

My favorite is the Hyatt Regency, San Francisco. During the week it can be pretty pricey, particularly if there is a large group in town. However, weekends it can be remarkably inexpensive since it is in the Financial District and that is not a tourist area (a big plus in my mind). The BART Embaradero stop is right at the front door (great access to SFO Airport), as is the Amtrak Financial District bus stop and the eastern terminus of the California Street cable car. The Amtrak Ferry Building stop is 3 blocks away. Some very nice non-tourist restautants are nearby including One Market, Market Bar, and the legendary Tadish Grill. The F Line historic street car can take you along the Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf. It's a big, business-centered hotel, but my wife and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville, and it was nice, and significantly cheaper than the Hyatt House. But although it's not very far from the Emeryville Amtrak station, it's on the other side of the freeway, and there is a maze of under- and overpasses in the area. As a result, I decided to take a cab between the station and the hotel, at around $8 each way. Someone on AU could probably give walking directions; the desk person at the hotel said it was only a 10-minute walk.
From the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville, walk 3 blocks east under the freeway to Shellmound Street. Then go left one-half block on Shellmound and walk through the parking lot of the Hyatt to the elevator tower and pedestrian bridge that goes over the railroad tracks. The tower on the east side of the tracks is adjacent to the Emeryville Amtrak station.

And, yes, it is about a 10-minute walk from the Hilton Garden Inn to the Emeryville Amtrak station.

As my occasional travels to San Francisco are usually at least one way by air, I find the hotels around the SFO airport are usually pretty reasonably priced. They all have shuttles to and from the terminal and connections to downtown are varied--Caltrain, BART, Airporter express bus, or SamTrans local bus for the budget-minded.....

Motel Capri - free WiFi, free parking, very reasonable rates considering their location, comfy bed

capri-motel.jpg

Orrrrrr... if you want to splurge and love history, check out the Queen Anne Hotel. We spent one night there, and I didn't get much sleep because I was running all over taking pictures. :)

the-queen-anne-hotel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back