Hotels In Indianapolis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot1181

Lead Service Attendant
May need to spend the night before taking the Hoosier State. Any recommendations as far as walking distance or taxi?

Downtown hotels in Indianapolis are plentiful and most are a short walk (or cab ride if you have a bunch of luggage) away from Amtrak. Even better, you can often get a very good price on a room by using "name your own price" on Priceline (unless there is something big going on at the Convention Center or Lucas Oil Stadium), I have stayed at many of the downtown hotels...Hyatt, Marriott, Westin, Hilton, Omni, etc....all are very nice and I have got them for $60 and under most of the time!

You can't beat the Crowne Plaza-Union Station for ambiance or for location - it's actually in part of the staion itself (albeit not the head house). They even have a limited number of rooms in actual pre-war passenger cars that hace been refurbished to contain a hotel room in one-half of each car. We have stayed here twice and had a great time & great service both times.

I usually stay at the Downtown Hilton hotel. It is a couple of block walk from

the train station. I did not know you could stay in a refurbished train car at

Crown Plaza.

I usually stay at the Downtown Hilton hotel. It is a couple of block walk from

the train station. I did not know you could stay in a refurbished train car at

Crown Plaza.
Dick - here are some pictures I took a few years ago of the cars used for rooms.

They sit on fake tracks, but where some of the tracks from the original station use to be. There is a large wall between where these cars sit and the remaining tracks in the Amtrak station. You can hear, and feel, the freights pounding along on the other side of the wall. Shame there isn't a way to get from the car/room area direct into the Amtrak station, but you have to walk amost three blocks, out and around to get there.

i-BWWMMK6-L.jpg

i-xc8Jdmr-L.jpg

i-77zLd7C-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back