Hotels - Chicago Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ciship

Looking for a hotel hopefully within walking distance of the Chicago Amtrak Station. The Presidential hotel across the street is already booked for our dates. HELP!

Google "Chicago hotels by union station" and hit the map tab. Shows a LaQuinta and a few others within 5 or 6 blocks.

At this time of year the rates may be fairly reasonable at Kimpton Hotels. Their Allegro and Burnham hotels are several blocks walk east of the station and have plenty of charm. There are also two others, the Monaco and Palomar. The latter is the furthest from Union Station to which I walked to at 2 am a few years ago after a blizzard and no cabs were at Union Station. The front desk man was literally astonished that I did that!

Define "walking distance". For me, it's a mile. For others, it's a quarter-mile. I can think of a lot of hotels about a half-mile from the station, but I don't know if that's too far for your party.

• Go to Google Maps

Input: Amtrak Station - CHI in the maps search box, enter
Click on 'Search nearby' in the box above your result
Input: Hotels, enter
Red bed icons with prices will appear on the map, those are some of the hotels near the station. Some are just little dots, zoom the map to see even more hotels.
Mouse over an icon to see more details
Click on an icon for even more details as well as links to the hotel and travel sites
Grab the map with your mouse to expand your search area, more results will automatically show.
You can also get transit directions using Google Maps.
The 151 bus begins and terminates in front of the station making it convenient to get to any of the hotels on or near Michigan Ave. - you can almost always stay at a much nicer hotel for a little more money - look at The Drake, Whitehall, Millennium Knickerbocker among many others.

Half mile is probably my max walking distance hauling luggage.

MiRider......thank you for the detailed posting!

I have stayed at Hampton Inn, Majestic Theatre on Monroe. It was walking distance for me.

I have stayed at Hampton Inn, Majestic Theatre on Monroe. It was walking distance for me.
That place is gorgeous. :)

I really like Club Quarters (they have two locations - Adams is the closest to Union Station). I also like the Holiday Inn at the Merchandise Mart. You can walk the half-mile to the Brown Line and get off at the Merchandise Mart.

The Kimpton Hotels are quite nice - my favorites are Allegro and Burnham. I'm also fond of The Silversmith, which is next to the Adams/Wabash L stop.

We've done Club Quarters many times when we come into CHI. Just down on Adam street.
I second the Club Quarters. In fact, I just checked out this morning. A small room, but it had everything you need.

Leaving for home tonight on the Cardinal.
If you have more time and really want to save money, try the Days Inn Chicago, which is in Lincoln Park. It's on Diversey Parkway and Clark, and it requires a 5-10 minute walk to the Brown Line L (Washington/Wells if you have any luggage) and a 5 minute walk from the Diversey L stop to the hotel. I was there last week, and had a room rate of $75, and the room was perfectly good.

I agree with MARC Rider and the others about the Club Quarters ( the rooms are small but have everything you need and a good location) and also about @ the Days Inn @ Lincoln Park! I stayed there when attending Flub Games @ Beautiful Wrigley Field! ( Let's Play Two!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
We've done Club Quarters many times when we come into CHI. Just down on Adam street.
I second the Club Quarters. In fact, I just checked out this morning. A small room, but it had everything you need.

Leaving for home tonight on the Cardinal.
Yes, the rooms are small, but that's ok with me as we are there to sleep and shower. Not have a party! :)

It was a small touch, but another thing I like about Club Quarters are those refillable water bottles on every floor. They also have a closet with an ironing board, extra blankets, etc.

I don't think of the rooms as "small", but that's because I don't live in my hotel room when I go to Chicago. I'm there to sleep and shower, as Jay said. If I were traveling on business, I'd probably want a bit more space.

Holiday Inn, or Holiday Inn Express (whatever it is) is just a few blocks and right next to the subway station. It's where I usually stay, its easily walkable with bags.

Club quarters is good.

Buckingham Athletic Club is also good. You can sometimes find deals for under $200 on booking.com. All rooms are on the 40th floor. Ask for a south facing room to get a great view of the Amtrak yard as well as two Metra lines.

Second the Buckingham Athletic Club. Loved it .... even if your room doesn't have the view of the yards, the breakfast room does. Big rooms... I am not a good walker and yet, with luggage, we are able to hoof it to Union Station easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back