Hotel Near WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainut

Train Attendant
My wife and I are going into WAS (from Delaware), do some sighting, then take another train to a less expensive hotel outside the city, commuter rail. The next day, back into DC more sight seeing, then train back to Delaware.

I know there were some posts awhile back on this subject, but I can not find them. Can any one help us?

Thanks in advance.

Trainut

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number of hotels located near the Alexandria, VA station which is served by Amtrak, VRE, and Metro. I'd try starting there...

We stayed in a Comfort Suites near BWI when we were up that way. There were also several hotels around. That may be be a bit too far for some people, but the advantage was that the hotel had a complimentary shuttle to the airport or BWI Amtrak/MARC station. It's a nice ride down the NEC into WAS with some peak-time express service if you like just cruising down the line without station stops :p Time between BWI and WAS on a local is about 40 minutes, while express service is about 20 minutes. BWI is also a good railfan spot, and I was not harassed the entire time I was there with my huge DSLR :p

There are a number of hotels located near the Alexandria, VA station which is served by Amtrak, VRE, and Metro. I'd try starting there...
Agreed, there is a Hilton and an Embassy Suites right across the tracks from the station (and across the street from the King Street Metro, about 20 minutes from DC on the Blue/Yellow lines), and both are walking distance from Old Town Alexandria. They also both offer a pretty good view of the tracks, so you'll have something to do during your time at the hotel, if you're so inclined.

Embassy Suites. :wub:

Found a great weekend deal, on line, when we stayed there.

My wife and I are going into WAS (from Delaware), do some sighting, then take another train to a less expensive hotel outside the city, commuter rail. The next day, back into DC more sight seeing, then train back to Delaware.

I know there were some posts awhile back on this subject, but I can not find them. Can any one help us?

Thanks in advance.

Trainut
Courtyard by Marriott, 3-minute walk from Rosslyn Metro Station next to Arlington National Cemetery, 10-minute Metro ride from Union Station and less than that for stations near Smithsonian musuems, Capitol, etc. as low as $93 on weekends and is clean, well-equipped and safe!

We are considering the Hyatt Regency in D.C. at the end of the CL.

Any opinions?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Hill which is on the same block as the Hyatt IIRC. I personally found the Holiday Inn to be one of the nicest I've ever stayed in, and definitely a good value. It is a little bit of a hike from WUS if you have a lot of luggage, but it's not a bad walk if you aren't loaded down. Now I personally would recommend the Omni Shoreham which is accessible via the Red Line over the Hyatt, but that's just me.
cool.gif

here are some suggestions...

The Marriott Westfields located near Manassas and Dulles Airport. A Greenbriar like hotel - but rather far from the downtown sites. They have a special $119 rate - includes room and breakfast for two (the breakfast alone is worth $40 or $45 - a very nice hotel restaurant). The same rate is $99 without the Breakfast. I think that the $119 rate, with the breakfast for two - is the best overall deal in the DC area. The hotel is a Mobil Four Diamond (like a resort hotel). It is really nice - check out their website They have nice trails around their campus - a great outdoor pool, indoor pool, lot's of lobby space - with high ceilings, marble, etc... Wooded, forest like environment. (free parking too)

The Marriott Key Bridge is close to all the sights and near Georgetown (nice), and they sometimes offer a $99 rate. Great view of Washington too. Nice rooms. Nice lobby area with a cool bar and a Starbucks. Much more of an urban environment than the Westfields - but a better location for seeing DC. And a great view of Georgetown, the Potomac River and the Washington Mall (Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument)

The Marriott King Street is right next to the Amtrak Station in Alexandria. From your hotel room - I would guess you can spot at least 50 plus trains (freight + passenger) in a 24 hour period. That is because the Alexandria Station - which is really nice (quaint / vintage ) is located where two major main lines come together. The Mainline Southern (NS - Atlanta to DC and Northeast), and the CSX mainline (old R,F & P). Also King Street is the place in Old Town Alexandria (free Trolley on King Street) and a Metro Station in located beside the Amtrak Station. Rates are higher but the location is superb.

The Mayflower on Connecticut Ave - like a 5 star type hotel and close to everything - higher prices but they do offer specials. Directly across from the ABC News Bureau too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mayflower on Connecticut Ave - like a 5 star type hotel and close to everything - higher prices but they do offer specials. Directly across from the ABC News Bureau too.
I was just at the Mayflower, a Renaissance Hotel of the Marriott family, last weekend. A very nice hotel! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back