Hotel near Penn Station in Baltimore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
I will be staying a couple of days in Baltimore and am thinking about staying at the MtVernon hotel on West Franklin. Has anyone on this board heare anything good or bad about this property. I will arrive that afternoon on the NE regional from Lynchburg.

I will be staying a couple of days in Baltimore and am thinking about staying at the MtVernon hotel on West Franklin. Has anyone on this board heare anything good or bad about this property. I will arrive that afternoon on the NE regional from Lynchburg.

I just did this trip this past week, although I stayed at a hotel down on the InnerHarbor. If you end up staying somewhere not near Penn Station, see other thread about Charm City Circulator, it is an easy way to get around town. Have a great trip.

I can't comment directly on the hotel itself (as a Baltimore resident I rarely stay in hotels downtown!), but I can tell you that the hotel is in the old historic YMCA building (a pretty grand building, actually), and is in a very safe/nice area of town with plenty of restaurants and museums (Walters Art Museum chief among them) within walking distance. You're also within walking distance of the Enoch Pratt Free Library and the Basilica (the first cathedral in the USA), both historic landmarks in Baltimore and well worth a visit. I recommend eating at both Tio Pepe's (fine Spanish--NOT Mexican--dining; pricey but excellent) and Sotto Sopra (Italian), both of which are within a 5-7 min walk.

And of course every rail fan should make an effort to visit the following while in downtown Baltimore:

1). B&O Railroad Museum

2). Baltimore Streetcar Museum

3). Mount Royal Station (will probably not be able to get in, but is worth looking around outside)

4). B&O Brasserie Bar & Grill (restaurant/bar located in the B&O headquarters)

5). President Street Station (houses the Baltimore Civil War museum, but is only opened occasionally these days; still worth a visit for its historic significance in the Civil War)

6). Camden Station (houses the Sports Legends & Entertainment museum which is a fine showcase in and of itself)

Speaking of #4, if you are looking for a great boutique, railroad-related hotel, do consider staying at the Hotel Monaco, which occupies the upper levels of the B&O headquarters building at 2 North Charles Street. You'll step into the lobby and your jaw will hit the floor. The just don't make 'em the way they used to.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stayed two nights at the Mt.Vernon Hotel on a Priceline bid .I have no complaints about my stay.Recognize that it is an old buiding but well maintained.However,the hotel is a mile from the harbor area with all the attractions and most of the chain hotels.I walked down hill to the harbor and caught a bus uphill too return.The trolley(LRT) is quite a few blocks to the west.The transit Day Pass is a good buy.The buses and trolley are available near/at Baltimore Penn Station to get there.I would figure $10 for a taxi to the hotel.

YOu should try the Hotel Monaco Baltimore (a Kimpton Hotel) it's in downtown minutes from the station in the former Baltimore & Ohio Railroad headquarters. A lovely service oriented hote. In addition they have a Rail traqvlers "Ride the rails" discount (see below)

http://www.kimptonhotels.com/promotions/ride-the-rails.aspx

Hang up the keys, skip the airport crowds and travel by rail to some of the most beautiful cities in the country. Take the train and enjoy the scenery, reduce your carbon footprint and lower your stress levels. Plus, save 15% on our best available rates with proof of train ticket at check-in.

I stayed there a few years ago visiting my niece who was attending the Peabody Institute. It is a very short taxi ride from the station to the hotel. There is a taxi stand line at the station which is very convenient to catch a ride. The hotel rooms were clean but small and simple. I would not rush back to stay there again. If you do stay there, one word of caution. Peabody students had a floor that they use for housing when I was there. This probably will not be an issue for you during the summer months but you might want to make sure you are not on that floor if you want piece and quiet.

It might help to know what you are planning on doing and seeing in Baltimore to give some more accurate advice on hotels and areas. I (as a resident) haven't stayed at the Mt Vernon Hotel, you may want to check out some of the reviews on Tripadvisor. Some areas that are more business areas tend to be pretty deserted on nights and weekends especially. If you are interested in the Inner Harbor area, it would probably make more sense to stay down there instead of a mile north, and getting to Penn Station is simple from the inner harbor area. Of course there are also price considerations, the inner harbor hotels may be more expensive than some of the hotels in other areas, especially if there is an event at the convention center or if the yankees or red sox are playing the orioles.

I would also second Rafi's recommendation of Tio Pepe's, a Baltimore institution, although it is quite pricy. I recommend the suckling pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back