Hotel near D.C. Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liason is very good, (as is the Hyatt across the street) but the last few times I comparison priced it was running $50 a night more on the same nights I needed than the Hyatt so I stayed there. I'd call it more like 3 blocks, because of the way the streets in front of Union Station lay out, but it is not a long walk at all. Both the Liason and the Hyatt are more modern style, I would be comfortable at any of those 3 (Hyatt, Liason, Phoenix Park) or the Kimpton George, also in that vicinity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed at Phoenix Park Hotel about 2 weeks ago. I've stayed there a handful of time in the past 10 years. It is absolutely close to WAS. As someone else pointed out, the rooms are small, but I've always found it very clean and with very comfortable beds. Staff is wonderful, too.

Red Caps can take you almost all the way there, which is great if you need that kind of assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The reason people are posting here is that they want someone's personal experiences as railroad travelers. The people here know how facilities are located in relation to railroad stations. i'm sure just about everybody knows about these internet sites by now.
Unless someone tells us why they're posting on AU it's all just speculation. I'm not so sure everybody knows about these internet sites. If they did why don't they come to AU with their own list of hotels to be narrowed down? Sounds like they're starting from scratch to me.

Often these sites are useless for any information about specific locales because opinions expressed on the sites are so widely varied as to be no good at all. If I look at a site where 50 percent of the people loved the hotel or restaurant while the other 50 percent hated it, then I have no reason to trust any of the opinions. Not to mention that sometimes the posters have a personal grudge against the establishment or in the opposite vein are the owners of the place.
Trip Advisor isn't perfect but when it comes to hotels it's about a hundred times more recent and relevant than anything I've read on AU. In my view asking for hotel specific information on AU is about as helpful as asking for Amtrak specific information on Trip Advisor.

Saying that it's wrong for someone to come to a train forum to ask about hotels near the train station (presumably for a trip they're taking on the train) seems a bit off base.
Who said it was "wrong" to come to a train forum to ask about hotels? I don't see it in the text you quoted. What I do see is the usual AU dogpile on someone outside the clique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those walks in Washington can be quite challenging in inclement weather. I always consider proximity to metro stops. Marriott metro center is almost on top of that station which gives good connections to most parts of Washington DC. If rates are too high check out hotels in crystal city. Make sure you use Google maps to determine proximity to metro stations.

Those walks in Washington can be quite challenging in inclement weather. I always consider proximity to metro stops. Marriott metro center is almost on top of that station which gives good connections to most parts of Washington DC. If rates are too high check out hotels in crystal city. Make sure you use Google maps to determine proximity to metro stations.
I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt Washington, which has its own basement entrance to the Metro Center station, so you don't even need to go outside. I haven't mentioned it yet in this thread because it's not what I would consider near Union Station, but it is easy to get to on the Metro Red Line.

The Marriott properties at crystal city have indoor connections to the metro. The hilton requires one to walk across the street to the entrance into a mall. Then you walk through the mall.

It isn't walking distance, and there are lots of hotels of all types and price points much closer. The 2 areas are really considered as separate if you were looking for lodging or restaurants....
1.55 miles is certainly within walking distance, unless the neighborhood is sketchy or someone has an infirmity that would make that walk ill-advised.

Back