Hotel for LA Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt1i

Train Attendant
I am planning a trip this summer and will need to stay overnight when arriving, waiting for the Coast Starlight. I see that the Metro Plaza Hotel is a couple of blocks from the Union Station. Is this one OK and any other suggestions? It's just for one night at a time and I'm trying to keep costs down. :D

The Metro Plaza is a good, basic hotel. Nothing fancy but better than nothing too. The only problem I had with it when I stayed there last August was that I specifically asked for two beds as my uncle and I were staying there and made sure to stress that over and over again. They gave me a room with one bed. Other than that it was fine.

LINK for the Metro Plaza Hotel, an easy 5 minute (or less) walk from Union Station!

It's not the Ritz, but it's not a dump either. And it's inexpensive (I believe $89) - and IIRC it's where Amtrak crews stay overnight.

The Metro Plaza is a good, basic hotel. Nothing fancy but better than nothing too. The only problem I had with it when I stayed there last August was that I specifically asked for two beds as my uncle and I were staying there and made sure to stress that over and over again. They gave me a room with one bed. Other than that it was fine.
That sure takes away one star. :cool:

The only complaint I had was the bed seemed worn out. I could feel the springs in my back. Other than that, it was a decent place to stay.
There goes another star. :cool:

Having to sleep with my uncle in a lumpy bed doesn't sound like a satisfactory hotel, to me. :lol:

The only complaint I had was the bed seemed worn out. I could feel the springs in my back. Other than that, it was a decent place to stay.
That's true, even with hide away bed sofa. 4 of us stayed during LA Gathering two years ago. It's on the edge of Chinatown. A great bonus- Phillipe's is about two blocks away from it and tons of AU members went there and it's good!

we have stayed at the metro plaza three times after detraining at la union station. no complaints about the beds from here. excellent location near the station. decent complimentary breakfast. a aaa discount if you show them your card on check in. also they have let us store our bags for the day at their desk so we can sightsee before our train departure. and as said above it is a block from phillipe's which would recommend the metro plaza even if nothing else did

Actually I don't like that area around the station at all. The jail is next to it and I've had bad experiences.

Instead,

Priceline the downtown area for 4 star and you'll likely win the Westin Bonaventure which is only about 2 miles away. If you bid for $65.00, the $15 you'd save from the metro plaza could go into the taxi fare. It's a much better option with views and 4* (pool and all). The Bonaventure or the Omni are the two most frequently won, and if you win the Omni, even better.

I am planning a trip this summer and will need to stay overnight when arriving, waiting for the Coast Starlight. I see that the Metro Plaza Hotel is a couple of blocks from the Union Station. Is this one OK and any other suggestions? It's just for one night at a time and I'm trying to keep costs down. :D
We stayed at the Hilton Checkers there in LA. It's about 2-3 miles from the station and was great and a quick cab ride.

If your looking to just have a "room" to chill in and await the CS, you can't beat the Metro Plaza hotel. If you want fancy digs and totally safe neighborhood, then you might check elsewhere. I had NO problems with the folks in the neighborhood, but it wasn't a nice lil' "Mayberry" area either. Once again, I had NO problems!

The time before my last trip I stayed at the Dragon Inn (Best Western). I saw a guy taking a pee on the building outside and then was greeted by a drunk outside the hotel. I decided I had enough of that and pricelined. Best move I ever made.

The time before my last trip I stayed at the Dragon Inn (Best Western). I saw a guy taking a pee on the building outside and then was greeted by a drunk outside the hotel. I decided I had enough of that and pricelined. Best move I ever made.
That's enough testimonial for me. :lol: I had that place earmarked to make reservations next year. Now that's out.

I've worked "slummy downtown", and also in the "ghetto" for 40 years.

When I vacation, I prefer to stay "suburban." :cool: Even if costs $25 to take a cab there.

I've stayed there several times and is my prefered place of lodging when in :cool: LA Also it is across the street from US an easy walk. Plus I had my gps programed it as my home base until I learn how to work it better. Hertz in train station and hotel across the street. I was happy with what I got. No one has ever bothered me and I've never seen any drunks etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I don't like that area around the station at all. The jail is next to it and I've had bad experiences.Instead,

Priceline the downtown area for 4 star and you'll likely win the Westin Bonaventure which is only about 2 miles away. If you bid for $65.00, the $15 you'd save from the metro plaza could go into the taxi fare. It's a much better option with views and 4* (pool and all). The Bonaventure or the Omni are the two most frequently won, and if you win the Omni, even better.
Having a rental car at this hotel(Bonaventure) is $32 a night to park it :angry: . That's more than the rental from hertz cost. It only cost $4 a day to park at Metro plaza :) and if you show your AAA card when you check in they take 4 or 5 $ of the price and that covers the parking. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back