Honeymoon on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were me, I would take VIA Rail's "Canadian" from Toronto to Vancouver instead. Getting to Toronto from Pittsburgh via Amtrak would involve an overnight in New York City, so I would just fly to Toronto instead.

The Canadian leaves Toronto at 10:00 PM on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays so if you catch a morning flight you would be fine. The "Canadian" while quite expensive is more luxuries than anything Amtrak can muster. Sleeping car passengers get their own lounge car separate from coach passengers. The dining car is superb and sleeping car accommodations are top notch (you would probably want to get a double bedroom). Once you get to Vancouver you could spend a few days there and take the Amtrak Cascades to Seattle, do whatever sight seeing you desire and fly home from there.

Anyway thats just what I would do.

http://www.viarail.c...couver-canadian
I did consider the Canadian but it's way more expensive and is also 3 nights on the train without a break to get to Vancouver from Toronto. I would rather spend the majority of our time in the US as well but can others speak to the difference in the quality of accomodations and food betwen VIA and Amtrak?

I did consider the Canadian but it's way more expensive and is also 3 nights on the train without a break to get to Vancouver from Toronto. I would rather spend the majority of our time in the US as well but can others speak to the difference in the quality of accomodations and food betwen VIA and Amtrak?
Keep in mind that The Canadian can be had for between 50% and 75% off if you buy during a sale or choose specific discounted days. You can also schedule a stopover at no additional fee. There is simply no comparison on service between any Amtrak route and The Canadian. If you want the romantic feel of traditional trains from the golden years The Canadian is your train. Nothing else comes close until you start crossing oceans.

Keep in mind that The Canadian can be had for between 50% and 75% off if you buy during a sale or choose specific discounted days. You can also schedule a stopover at no additional fee. There is simply no comparison on service between any Amtrak route and The Canadian. If you want the romantic feel of traditional trains from the golden years The Canadian is your train. Nothing else comes close until you start crossing oceans.

Their advertised sales on the website are only for trips in the next month. Are there other discount/promotional prices or rewards program that allow you to book with more advance notice??? Even the non-refundable pricing, advance purchase price is steep. Also, it's my understanding that the bedrooms do not have their own shower, just toilet. Is that correct?

Their advertised sales on the website are only for trips in the next month. Are there other discount/promotional prices or rewards program that allow you to book with more advance notice??? Even the non-refundable pricing, advance purchase price is steep. Also, it's my understanding that the bedrooms do not have their own shower, just toilet. Is that correct?
The deeply discounted days are only released shortly before departure, but there are multiple periods when they offer far more flexible (but not as deeply discounted) sales that last about a week or so. During those sales you can pick from many more days much further into the future. You just need to make sure you have the time and money ready to go when the sale hits so you can get the days you want before the discounted tickets are gone. My bedroom only had a toilet and sink, but I believe you can choose one that includes a shower as well. I did a long trip from San Antonio to Los Angeles to Portland to Vancouver, BC to Toronto with sleeper compartments the whole way (except the Cascades). It was a fun trip but it was also a little overkill, even for a passenger rail fanatic. Next time I take The Canadian I'll be heading Westbound instead of Eastbound. Of course you can simply stick with the Amtrak routes you've already selected and save this route for another time if it's not looking good for your schedule or your budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
The deeply discounted days are only released shortly before departure, but there are multiple periods when they offer far more flexible (but not as deeply discounted) sales that last about a week or so. During those sales you can pick from many more days much further into the future. You just need to make sure you have the time and money ready to go when the sale hits so you can get the days you want before the discounted tickets are gone. My bedroom only had a toilet and sink, but I believe you can choose one that includes a shower as well. I did a long trip from San Antonio to Los Angeles to Portland to Vancouver, BC to Toronto with sleeper compartments the whole way (except the Cascades). It was a fun trip but it was also a little overkill, even for a passenger rail fanatic. Next time I take The Canadian I'll be heading Westbound instead of Eastbound. Of course you can simply stick with the Amtrak routes you've already selected and save this route for another time if it's not looking good for your schedule or your budget.
You wouldn't happen to know when these sales weeks occur? Without a sale, I can't justify spending just about double what our Amtrak tickets would cost since Amtrak is probably adequate. I'd rather put that money toward nicer hotels at our layover cities.

You wouldn't happen to know when these sales weeks occur? Without a sale, I can't justify spending just about double what our Amtrak tickets would cost since Amtrak is probably adequate. I'd rather put that money toward nicer hotels at our layover cities.
I'm sorry to say I do not. As you might expect they don't exactly advertise these sales in advance. But it's easy to tell when it's on because they plaster the front page with it. :)

I'm sorry to say I do not. As you might expect they don't exactly advertise these sales in advance. But it's easy to tell when it's on because they plaster the front page with it. :)

I figured but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

My bedroom only had a toilet and sink, but I believe you can choose one that includes a shower as well.
The new enhanced service just announced has rooms that include showers. However, that service only runs during the summer and the prices I'm sure will be even higher than the prices for the current rooms.

Their 50% sale just ended yesterday and their 75% sale is on again. About 3 weeks ago, I booked a 75% off room leaving Toronto on 12/3/11. My room will not have a shower, but there will be one in the car.

I figured but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks!
If you can snag one of the 75% off Special fares grab it ASAP, they go fast! This is the Train trip of a lifetime :wub: , the best of both worlds, Budd equipment with wonderful food and service, and the Canadian scenery! Your Amtrak plan is still great, if you cant get the deal on the Canadian put it on your bucket list but dont wait too long, like all good things it doesnt last forever! :excl: :excl: :excl: Check via.ca often for deals and updates, also read all about VIA Trains, cool web site!! :cool:

I think that honeymoon on Amtrak is a nice Idea, I spent several weeks traveling by Amtrak with my Girlfriend and she's still my girlfriend.

However having all the money spent on train travel, she is not yet my wife. :p

We travelled in a Roomette which we found to be big enough for both of us. I guess if you're newlyweds a Bedroom will probably be just your size.

A layover of 5hrs is enough to cover about 95% of all Amtrak delays, according my experience freight train derailment/ usually sets you back about four hours.

Otherwise there is the option that the EB will wait for you, if you tell the train staff in the CL.

I never missed a train yet.

You will love the EB, as you have all the nice elderly ladies there who will ask you if you're newlyweds and hear your story.

What about staying in Glacier NP instead of Whitefish?

But what about doing a round trip by train and taking the Canadian back from Vancouver to Toronto?

http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back