Home from SWC #3

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go ahead and answer a few of the most common questions asked on these threads:

On SWC 3 you get dinner, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a short early express hot breakfast. I do not recall service times but the last breakfast is 5 - 6 AM only.

No alcohol sales in New Mexico on Sunday.

Sleepers boarded 45 minutes prior to departure.

I'll go ahead and answer a few of the most common questions asked on these threads:

... and a short early express hot breakfast. I do not recall service times but the last breakfast is 5 - 6 AM only.

WAIT, WHAT??? WHY AM I JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS??? AND I WAS SOOOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING TWO GOOD BREAKFASTS ONBOARD!!! AND YES, I KNOW THAT WRITING IN CAPS IS SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET. I'M SHOUTING! I'M SHOUTING, I'M SHOUTING, I'M SHOUTING...

Okay, more research... It looks like breakfast starts at 5:30 and ends somewhere around 6:00, 6:30, or Riverside. I'll still be on Eastern time, so I think I can handle that. Plus, I'll have roughly an hour and a half until I need to catch my southbound Surfliner, so maybe I can find second breakfast somewhere (second breakfast is my second favorite meal of the day, after first breakfast). So, this leaves me with two questions:

1) Just how limited is this limited breakfast menu?

2) Is 90 minutes enough time to get to Phillipe's, have breakfast, and get back to catch my Surfliner?

When I arrived for breakfast on #3 the third day (second morning), it was limited to what was left. Which was either the continental breakfast (that is like the yogurt and fruit & cereal) or the scrambled eggs with a side of meat. I wanted a cheese and veggie omelet and asked if it was possible to get cheese and veggies with the scrambled eggs - but that was denied.

... and a short early express hot breakfast. I do not recall service times but the last breakfast is 5 - 6 AM only.

WAIT, WHAT??? WHY AM I JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS??? AND I WAS SOOOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING TWO GOOD BREAKFASTS ONBOARD!!! AND YES, I KNOW THAT WRITING IN CAPS IS SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET. I'M SHOUTING! I'M SHOUTING, I'M SHOUTING, I'M SHOUTING...

Okay, more research... It looks like breakfast starts at 5:30 and ends somewhere around 6:00, 6:30, or Riverside. I'll still be on Eastern time, so I think I can handle that. Plus, I'll have roughly an hour and a half until I need to catch my southbound Surfliner, so maybe I can find second breakfast somewhere (second breakfast is my second favorite meal of the day, after first breakfast). So, this leaves me with two questions:

1) Just how limited is this limited breakfast menu?

2) Is 90 minutes enough time to get to Phillipe's, have breakfast, and get back to catch my Surfliner?
Take off the Omlette and that is what is left. The French Toast was still available.

It was served 5 - 6 AM.

(second breakfast is my second favorite meal of the day, after first breakfast).

Do you also do brunch before your noon meal? :unsure:
breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper...

Take off the Omlette and that is what is left. The French Toast was still available.

It was served 5 - 6 AM.
So it sounds like the options may just be limited depending on what they have left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. At least, the last time I was in LA, there was plenty of time to do that in the two hours between the Southwest Chief's arrival and the Coast Starlight's departure. I'd expect that you can do that in 90 minutes.

Yes. At least, the last time I was in LA, there was plenty of time to do that in the two hours between the Southwest Chief's arrival and the Coast Starlight's departure. I'd expect that you can do that in 90 minutes.
But you would only have enough time if the train gets to LA close to its due time or earlier. Personally I don't consider an Amtrak LD train late if it gets to its destination within an hour of its scheduled arrival time. Experience has taught me to be flexible in my expectations so that I'm not disappointed. Do I wish that Amtrak was as reliable and punctual as passenger trains are in virtually all other 'developed' countries? Yes. But until we as a country are willing to allocate the resources, and back that with the political will to make it happen, it is unfortunately unrealistic to expect more. Thus my experience is that if one packs a more laid back attitude for the trip, along with whatever else one brings, one will have a much better ride.

But you would only have enough time if the train gets to LA close to its due time or earlier. Personally I don't consider an Amtrak LD train late if it gets to its destination within an hour of its scheduled arrival time. Experience has taught me to be flexible in my expectations so that I'm not disappointed. Do I wish that Amtrak was as reliable and punctual as passenger trains are in virtually all other 'developed' countries? Yes. But until we as a country are willing to allocate the resources, and back that with the political will to make it happen, it is unfortunately unrealistic to expect more. Thus my experience is that if one packs a more laid back attitude for the trip, along with whatever else one brings, one will have a much better ride.

That's very true. As long as I make my connections I don't care how long the train takes. OTOH, the SWC is almost always on time, or very early - it's been averaging 30 minutes early over the past month. I'd just like to know what my options are during my "layover". I have a layover from train 29 in Chicago before the trip, but 29 is so frequently late into Chicago I hate to even bother to make plans for that one.

I recall a post on here at some point claiming that Amtrak is subject to the same laws as airlines, that alcohol is allowed even traveling over/through dry areas.

I find this extremely odd. When the Texas Eagle travels through Texas with its many dry counties (and even dry voting districts), is the bar closing/reopening throughout the day? If Amtrak is subject to local alcohol sales rules, they better get a team of lawyers with GPS devices onboard every train to decipher all these laws.

And the New Mexico blue law is not statewide. Alcohol is sold some places on Sundays, by local option. Albuquerque being one of them.

If you are surprised about no alcohol transiting NM, you probably want to stay off of the Crescent northbound from NO. On my last trip a year ago the train was 'dry' on the Sunday portion of the ride.

I just didn't think Amtrak was subject to local liquor laws. The logistics are mind-boggling.

If some town of 200 people in rural Texas that happens to be located along the train tracks (but not at a stop) passes some new liquor law, somebody in Amtrak corporate has to be aware of this?

Texas is such a checkerboard of wet/dry/partially dry counties and voting districts that Amtrak would probably have to spend incredible amounts of money just figuring out how to follow the laws. Parts of Dallas are even dry. How many times does the Texas Eagle pass in and out of dry areas on its trip through Texas? Gotta be dozens.

Then what about detours? They have to research every city/county liquor law along a new route that they'll be detouring on for a few days?

If Amtrak really is subject to local liquor laws, I shudder to think of how much they have to spend figuring it all out.

To my knowledge the whole state liquor law/license issue has not been fully tested with regard to Amtrak. As for Texas you can buy alcohol on Amtrak trains in Texas any day of the week. Just as you can in any wet-county bar or restaurant with the appropriate license. I can't tell you what happens if you try to buy hard liquor while traveling through Texas at 6AM though.

Riding on the Heartland Flyer in Texas they are not allowed to sell hard liqour on Sundays, I don't recall if that included wine or not. Once we crossed the Red River into Oklahoma they made an announcement that hard liqour was now available for sale and there was a rush of people lined up to buy.

One oddity is that all beer from the big 3, (bud, miller, Coors) can only be sold with 3.2% alcohol in OK, but the HF stocks up in TX where they sell the standard 5% domestic beer and they are allowed to sell it in OK.

The service standards manual has a page listing all of the alcohol restrictions by state.

To my knowledge the whole state liquor law/license issue has not been fully tested with regard to Amtrak. As for Texas you can buy alcohol on Amtrak trains in Texas any day of the week. Just as you can in any wet-county bar or restaurant with the appropriate license. I can't tell you what happens if you try to buy hard liquor while traveling through Texas at 6AM though.
Slight correction Chris,NO Alcohol cant be Sold before NOON on Sunday in Texas, so no Bloody Marys or Mimosas for Brunch on the Eagle or Sunset unless you bring your own! :rolleyes:

Slight correction Chris,NO Alcohol cant be Sold before NOON on Sunday in Texas, so no Bloody Marys or Mimosas for Brunch on the Eagle or Sunset unless you bring your own!
I've been served dozens of mimosas before noon on Sunday right here in San Antonio. I think the rule is that it has to be after 10:00AM and served with food. After noon you're free to drink whatever you want on-premises, with or without food. However, you still can't purchase hard liquor for off premises consumption until Monday morning.

From the Service Standards Manual No. 6 page 7-21

Texas

Weekday: No sales of beer, wine and mixed beverages b/w midnight-7am; no sales of liquor b/w 9pm-10am

Saturday: No sales of beer, wine and mixed beverages b/w midnight-7am; no sales of liquor b/w 9pm-10am

Sunday: No sales of beer, wine and mixed beverages b/w 1am-noon; no sales of just liquor

Holidays: No sale of just liquor on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Xmas Day

Election Day: No special restrictions

I apologize for being off topic, since the SWC doesn't yet run through TX.

From the Service Standards Manual No. 6 page 7-21

Texas

Weekday: No sales of beer, wine and mixed beverages b/w midnight-7am; no sales of liquor b/w 9pm-10am

Saturday: No sales of beer, wine and mixed beverages b/w midnight-7am; no sales of liquor b/w 9pm-10am

Sunday: No sales of beer, wine and mixed beverages b/w 1am-noon; no sales of just liquor

Holidays: No sale of just liquor on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Xmas Day

Election Day: No special restrictions

I apologize for being off topic, since the SWC doesn't yet run through TX.
I wonder how they came up with these hours as bars in TX close at 2 AM ... well 1:30 is last call, 2AM they litterally (from experiance) turn on the overhead lights and pull the drink out of your hand.

Just home from SWC #3...any questions?
Hey,

If I remember right you are going on the 12/10 on the SWC # 4. I take the # 4 next day 12/11 and the #3 on 1/9. I find it odd that Bfast was only 5-6 AM on a train scheduled to arrive 8:15 AM with "normal" BFast hours 6:30-9:00 AM. I am new to AMTRAK, so I am assuming I am missing something like they need 2.5 hours to clean up prior to arrival in LAUS.

NAVYBLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back