"Holiday Business Class" lounge @ CHI??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf

Conductor
Alright, riddle me this!

Just opened up my Twitter this morning, and the fifth Tweet down was from @ChiUnionStation (re-tweeted by @Amtrak) with a photo and quote:

"Our holiday @Amtrak Business Class lounge in the Union Gallery is in full swing"

Photo: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaFpFNmCUAE5Cgr.jpg:large

Anyone have a clue what this is? Because that photo is most certainly NOT the CHI Metro lounge I've been in before!

Guests are awed as they enter this 20,000 foot classic Beaux Arts style room which boasts 18 soaring Corinthian columns, terracotta walls, a pink Tennessee marble floor and is crowned with a spectacular five-story, barrel-vaulted, atrium ceiling. Opening onto the Great Hall is the Union Gallery, a beautiful 3,500 square foot room, ideal for VIP receptions, lounges, ceremonies and meetings.

Guests are awed as they enter this 20,000 foot classic Beaux Arts style room which boasts 18 soaring Corinthian columns, terracotta walls, a pink Tennessee marble floor and is crowned with a spectacular five-story, barrel-vaulted, atrium ceiling. Opening onto the Great Hall is the Union Gallery, a beautiful 3,500 square foot room, ideal for VIP receptions, lounges, ceremonies and meetings.
I understand what the Union Gallery is, it's this "Holiday Business Class Lounge" part that has my head tilting like a dog's. :blink:

Maybe they opened it up for Business Class ticket holders during the holidays to relieve the congestion in the Metropolitan Lounge. Just a guess.

Great Hall Facebook Page has this posted.

CUS Union Gallery.jpg

It looks like it might be a small room off of the main Great Hall. At the back of the hall, opposite where you go to the trains tunnel, is a good size room that had been the Metropolitan Lounge at one time while the lounge we know now was being remodeled. Could it be that area?

Tom and Dave nailed it! This was the Location of the "Temporary" Lounge while the Metro Lounge was undergoing Renovation !

Amtrak realized (New Management/Innovative Ideas!)that with the Holiday Crowds thronging Union Station that they needed Extra Space for the recently Added Business Class Travelers! Wonder who was Assigned to Work this Lounge, a Gate Dragons or one of the New "Good" Attendants? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed something similar in the July 15, 2013 national timetable. On pages 80 and 82, referencing "Illinois routes," the timetable says:

"Business Class: Complementary non-alcoholic beverages and newspaper and access to Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago."

This obviously wasn't a special holiday lounge. Anyone have experience with the accuracy of this? If accurate, did it only apply in Chicago?

Yes, it just recently started in CHI. (Allowing BC access to the ML.) AFAIK, it only applies to the ML in CHI and nowhere else on Amtrak. (But now that I think of it, I believe the new ML at LAX also allows access for BC passengers.)

Chicago's metropolitan lounge is normally open to Business class passengers (along with LA's Metropolitan Lounge) but this is a different setup. I'm sure Amtrak and the states who fund the trains did this because they were expecting a crush of passengers over the next 5 days.

It's a great idea in my opinion.

This is interesting. So is it the Union Gallery which was opened up as a lounge? It looks like it from the photo name.

Chicago was *supposed* to get a giant new two-story Metropolitan Lounge in the southeast corner of the Great Hall, but it seems to have been delayed indefinitely, much to my frustration. That would probably hold *all* the crowds. Next year maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back