Holding an Reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how long can one hold an reservation without payment, and is this option usually available for holiday travel? Thanks.

On most trains, the maximum hold time is 7 days and that assumes that you're more than 7 days away from the date of travel. For Acela and trains on the NEC, the hold time may be less. As for traveling around the holiday's, especially the Thanksgiving weekend, if you haven't booked by now you may not be able to get a seat. But whatever you do, don't wait until we're really close to the holiday, you're almost certain to get shut out.

How far out a trip is (or maybe how booked the train already is) seems to have some bearing on the length of the hold that Amtrak will offer. I called last month to ask about holding a rez on the CS about 4 weeks out from the trip and was only given 72 hours after I told the agent my travel date. That was just enough for me though and it allowed me to grab a roomette only days before they sold-out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back