Hiring Prospects for Children of Amtrak Employees?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NTL1991

Train Attendant
Hello,

I'm a 19-year-old college student just finishing up my associate's degree, and I've been speaking to my dad about employment with Amtrak. He is a ticket agent, and has only been with the company for about 3 years, but has received numerous letters of appreciation from passengers, which are on file. He has spoken to many conductors and he wanted to know what I though about being an Assistant Conductor, as they are hiring in Boston and New Haven.

He filled me in on the Extra Board, the 8 weeks of training in Delaware, and the long, undesirable hours that lower-rung conductors get... He doesn't want me to be a ticket agent because of the uncertainty with the automated ticketing system that Amtrak will be rolling out later on. He says this will also be putting pressure on the Conductors, as issues with printed tickets, bar codes, and what not, will arise. Also, he was talking about the LSA's and their struggle with the payments moving from cash to credit only and the issues that come with that...

Is it common practice for Amtrak employees to get their children into the system? Does Amtrak prefer this sort of hiring? What are the prospects for Conductors? Is there opportunity to move up to an Engineer after years of service? If so, is it worth the drop in seniority?

Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Nick

Number one is that Amtrak hires at 21. Number two the 8 weeks of training IS paid! I believe if I've read correctly is $60 a day. Not 100% sure. Number three you will have to qualify on NORAC which is basically a book of rules. Then signals and other functions. And finally Number four, be customer friendly!

IMO start out on a Commuter Rail system. That way you have some experience under your belt. I'm trying to get hired at Septa. Then move onto Amtrak. Just some thoughts and opinions.

The first time I rode in a roomette (an on board upgrade on the CONO about 12 yrs ago), my SCA told me he got the job because his mother had worked for Amtrak for many years. Since then, I have been told by a couple of other employees that they had a family connection to Amtrak. My understanding is, it is definitely in your benefit to have a relative who works for Amtrak.

As with virtually any employer, the fact that your dad/mother works there won't "get" you the job, but it certainly may get you the job interview. From that point on, you are own your own.

And virtually every new hire, in almost every craft or job, has to "pay their dues" when it comes to crummy shifts, extra board, etc.

The MAIN THING is to get hired by the company, once "in" your options to move within the system are greatly improved, provided you do the job you are assigned to satisfactorily.

Thanks for the info!

If Amtrak hires at 21, I guess I'll go for my Bachelor's degree before applying for an Assistant Conductor position.

What are some of the advantages or disadvantages of being an Amtrak conductor? Is there anything interesting about the life of a Conductor? How long does Amtrak keep their Assistant Conductors before training them as Conductors?

Is it commonplace for conductors who live within the 2-hour crew base range to take the train to commute to work every day?

I've flipped through the NORAC, which seems pretty standard as far as operating procedures go; lots of memorization is needed...

Thanks Again,

Nick

Keep in mind that sometimes you will be on the early trains. Such as 66, 67, 2150, 2151, 150, 190, 160, 162, and a few others. Don't be surprised to work a split shift too. Then will layover a few hours then turn back. I believe I heard a conductor say they make a round trip plus a north or south trip on the NEC and layover in WAS, PHL, HAR, NYP, NHV, SPG, or BOS. Just something to think about. So make sure you have a car available to you or 24 hour transit to the yard. Keep in mind that most of the time you will need to report to the yards in Boston Southampton, New York Sunneyside, and sometimes Washington Ivy City.

Good Luck!

Maybe things are different in America, but are you really wanting to be a conductor after you have a Bachelor's degree? Not saying anything bad about conductors. Just wondering if it's worth spending all that money.

Thanks for the info!

If Amtrak hires at 21, I guess I'll go for my Bachelor's degree before applying for an Assistant Conductor position.

What are some of the advantages or disadvantages of being an Amtrak conductor? Is there anything interesting about the life of a Conductor? How long does Amtrak keep their Assistant Conductors before training them as Conductors?

Is it commonplace for conductors who live within the 2-hour crew base range to take the train to commute to work every day?

I've flipped through the NORAC, which seems pretty standard as far as operating procedures go; lots of memorization is needed...

Thanks Again,

Nick
I would definitely go for a getting a degree while you're young. Go and enjoy the college life. Don't pass that opportunity up!

As far as the conductors I know. (I only know two) One lives in Mineola, TX and drives to Fort Worth, TX to where he is based. Thats probably a 90 to 120 minute drive. The other I know lives about hours drive away.

Maybe things are different in America, but are you really wanting to be a conductor after you have a Bachelor's degree? Not saying anything bad about conductors. Just wondering if it's worth spending all that money.
The cost of the degree is irrelevant, unless this person needs to recoup the cost immediately. No matter what your degree is in, if you want to go and do something you enjoy, then go do it. Nothing wrong with someone in their early 20s exploring different jobs. Folks graduating from high school these days are going to be changing careers and jobs a few times before they are 30, anyway. The degree will help you all of your life, so it is an excellent tool to have. But, it does not have to guide your career path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back