Hiring Process for Customer Service Agent?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tracie

Anyone know the hiring process for Customer Service Agent? What does the initial testing consist of? I was invited to "test", but have no idea what the testing is or how I should prepare.

Tracie,

I can tell you that it will most likely deal with Math, Customer Service Skills, etc.

I can suggest dressing like you're going to an interview. Bring 2 or 3 ink pens. Black or Blue ink!! Amtrak should have pens available for you. But DON'T use them unless you don't have a pen. Railroads look at that. A good railroad employee has 2 or more ink pens on them at all times! They will also look at little things such as pushing in chairs. They will most likely have you use pencils for the test. Use their pencils as some railroads use certain types of lead. This is just a list of what I can think of for now.

Good Luck!!

Steve

Advice for all Amtrak new hires (probably applicable to other employers, too):

"Showing up at work without a pen is worse than showing up without your pants."

Smile, be pleasant, pay attention, don't look stupid or dull. Tests will involve math skills. Nowadays, I don't know whether they will test you for computer skills; but those (at some level) will be useful for the job.

Tom

Wow, are you guys really serious about the pens?

I've done a lot of hiring over the last 10-15 years, and pens have never once been an issue.

Perhaps it's because in most businesses nowadays, pens are irrelevant - everything is done on a computer. After thinking about it, I can only think of one form at work that still involves a pen. And we're not super tech-savvy - most of our computers still run Windows 95. So no, in most places, having your own pen is not an issue.

I guess I have seen pens used by OBS crews, at least in the dining car. But still... is Amtrak still so far behind the the times that having your own pens is a sign of competence?

It's very possible that pens are not as important now as they used to be. I'm out of the loop right now. But I would err on the safe side and have at least one with me.

One more suggestion: Be prompt. Not sure about Customer service agents, but OBS training often extends through weekends, holidays, etc. This is to weed out those who can't or won't be available on those days. The operation is 24 - 7, and ya gotta be there when they want you.

Tom

I carry 2 pens and a small notebook in my shirt pocket. At all times. Helps when something happens and you need to write it down. The reason why it's important to have pens is it shows that you're prepared. Railroads look for that. Say you have an email that says bring 2 pens. Then you bring 2 pens. Proves you read the email or letter. Pens are important in Railroad business. Every conductor needs a pen. They need to take notes about every little detail!

Yeah, when you're doing a job that requires you to write things down, I don't think that it's fair to count requiring pens as "behind the times".

Then again, an entire youth (and now a significant portion of my adulthood) spent in the Boy Scouts engrained "Be Prepared" into me.

Interesting to read about the pen comments.

Sure, if an email says bring two pens, then absolutely bring them. No doubt.

But if they dont mention it, I would question a hiring process that would strongly consider whether an applicant brought pens, and how many and their ink color.

Wow, are you guys really serious about the pens?

I've done a lot of hiring over the last 10-15 years, and pens have never once been an issue.

Perhaps it's because in most businesses nowadays, pens are irrelevant - everything is done on a computer. After thinking about it, I can only think of one form at work that still involves a pen. And we're not super tech-savvy - most of our computers still run Windows 95. So no, in most places, having your own pen is not an issue.

I guess I have seen pens used by OBS crews, at least in the dining car. But still... is Amtrak still so far behind the the times that having your own pens is a sign of competence?
Reminds me a of a story that I was told at a "how to successfully interview" course (offered back when employers actually felt guilty laying people off).

The story goes that if a candidate's interview was going well, the manager would invite the candidate out to lunch. If the candidate grabbed the salt shaker and salted their food before even tasting it, they lost the job. True, the job had nothing to salt but rather the point being that the candidate demonstrated that they make decisions (like salting their food) based on assumptions rather than facts (tasting the food first).

Also, don't say "I love trains!". Amtrak is looking for good reliable workers and could care less if you love trains, in fact it is often seen as a detriment, since you may be so involved with observing the train rather then doing your job.

Answer the following question in essay form (one to two paragraphs):

You are a customer service agent at New York's Penn Station. You find out that an Acela train bound for New York Penn has struck and killed a track worker. You know that in about 2 1/2 hours, the station will be teeming with hundreds of inconvenienced passengers - some who have missed connecting trains. How would you prioritize and interact with these inconvenienced passengers?

Answer the following question in essay form (one to two paragraphs):

You are a customer service agent at New York's Penn Station. You find out that an Acela train bound for New York Penn has struck and killed a track worker. You know that in about 2 1/2 hours, the station will be teeming with hundreds of inconvenienced passengers - some who have missed connecting trains. How would you prioritize and interact with these inconvenienced passengers?
From my experience, they put together an exhaustive plan to call every passenger to apologize, a few days later. Deal with upset and angry people in person; never.

When my train was 24+ hours late, the only helpful person anywhere in PHL was the ClubAcela attendant who on his own initiative, got permission to buy us dinner while we waited in the lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back