Hiawatha trip and mechanical problem report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
Today, I took 332 down to Chicago, returning on 337. Arrival in Chicago was right on the mark at 932 (which means we were delayed by a few minutes enroute, as we would otherwise have arrived about 5-7 minutes early). Return trip was two minutes late, arriving at 1649. I spent the day meeting with a friend who was transferring from the Lake Shore Limited to the Southwest Chief (train 49 got in at about 1045, 2 hours late; train 3 departed on time at 1515, despite them still cleaning the sleepers at 1450 when I headed over to the North Concourse to board my Hiawatha).

For the baseball fans on the list, I was surprised on train 332 to find Brewers radio announcers Bob Uecker (of "Major League" and "Mr. Belvedere" fame) and Jim Powell, as well as TV announcer Daron Sutton, in the back of my coach 54048. They were obviously headed to Chicago for the Brewers vs. Cubs game at Wrigley field. Despite my being a former employee at Miller Park, I elected not to engage in any conversation with them.

As if that wasn't enough, train 337 was graced with the presence of former Brewers president Ulice Payne.

My Hiawatha consist was the same both ways, featuring (Chicago end to Milwaukee end): 124, 54575, 51501, 54048, 54557, 90200, 36.

This was the first time I had ever ridden a Hiawatha with the cabbage on the Milwaukee end.

I was to later learn the reason for this. Yesterday, train 330 suffered a cabbage car failure at Rondout (between Sturtevant and Glenview, where the Metra Milwaukee-North joins the Canadian Pacific line). The train had to be wyed at that site. As a result of excessive delay (over an hour), trains 331 and 334 were cancelled. Engine 36 was added to the end of the train, attached to the 90200. Even though the train spent the night in Chicago, the 36/90200 combination remained in the consist (the Hiawatha needs the checked baggage space for a couple of trains, and Chicago probably didn't have any good cabbages available).

While waiting for my friend's Lake Shore Limited to arrive, I headed to the Clinton Street crossing to watch 333 depart. I will be posting the photos of this train online whenever I get around to it.

It seems the checked baggage is used mostly for trains that would connect to other LD trains in Chicago. Since Milwaukee and Chicago are fairly decent sized cities (one moreso than the other), checked baggage between them would be a good service to offer. The coaches certainly don't have that much extra room

My webshots page has now been updated with those photos. See "Chicago-type area photos," and click to pages 3 and 4 for the relevant shots.

Back