Here we go again...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
I am Select Plus...Can I take a guest into Chicago Metro lounge to wait for an Illinois Regional. The girls have run "hot and cold" in the past. Julie did not seem to have a correct answer. I just wish I knew for sure.

I can only speak from what I have seen. Last year when I saw someone try this - Amtrak female employee - who normally works "counter" and caused me serious unnecessary drama on my last visit to Chicago - denied access for a visitor. Now situation may have been one ticketed passenger had sleeper and their friend had coach ticket. Either way she had friendly chat with person she denied access to.

Older man who works lounge desk is normally worse than female employees. Younger female employees there in Chicago are worse than older ones. Only person who ever welcomes me back and acknowledges me is Steve in baggage. Guess a decent tip goes a long way.

Honestly the older female employee who on my last trip was training new employee - makes up her own rules depending on day. She is well aware of who I am and fact that I had just been in lounge 2 days previous and that I am Select Plus - but definitely made my last lounge visit such a hassle and miserable - I got my bags from Steve - who is consistent and provides excellent service in baggage area - then headed for Grand Hall to wait for another train I booked to leave earlier - instead of enjoying my earned lounge access. Amtrak made out that day - I was so pissed I upgraded to Roomette instead of waiting for my Business Class seat on later train. Won't get into conductor drama on Texas Eagle that day when I deboarded in Springfield.

Washington Acela Lounge access was no drama - no BS - no having to carry a ticket for re-entry - complete opposite of drama I have had in Chicago over years.

Now an example of inconstancy inside Chicago Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge. Older man - World War II veteran was met by his granddaughter - who was a local who came in on commuter line. She was NOT an Amtrak ticketed passenger - but sat with him all day until his train departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago is the worst! It's embarrassing! You go in with a relative, friend, or business associate, only to get kicked out to the curb like some stray dog. If they let you in, they have done you a BIG favor. I wish I knew for sure.

I've used the Chicago lounge many, many times, and I have never encountered a problem. I've used companion coupons, brought a guest, etc, and I find that presenting the required information immediately instead of making them ask me for it while I dig around in my bag for five minutes works wonders. They have a lot of people to process, so it helps to be efficient and polite.

If they challenge you, simply show them the fine print on the coupon. I always double-check the terms before I go in. I've never had to point it out, as I've always been let in without any issues, but it's nice to know where the information is, just in case.

Washington Acela Lounge access was no drama - no BS - no having to carry a ticket for re-entry - complete opposite of drama I have had in Chicago over years.
I'm not sure why presenting a lounge ticket is such a bad thing. The doors to the Chicago lounge, unlike WAS, are not locked. Anyone can come and go as they please. It only makes sense that they'd give you a brightly-colored card to flash as you walk in. It helps control traffic and verifies you belong in there. I keep mine in the front pocket of my purse so it's easy to grab before I walk in the door.

Plus, it helps remind people when to come back for boarding. Personally, I don't need the reminder, but people who are new to CUS and/or forgetful might like having that little reminder. It's like those little dinner reservation cards the LSA gives you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to enter the lounge in Chicago as a guest a couple of years ago. I had arrived, via coach, with another AUer who had traveled in a sleeper. He was also a Select + member too, I believe. There was no issue getting me in.

Now an example of inconstancy inside Chicago Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge. Older man - World War II veteran was met by his granddaughter - who was a local who came in on commuter line. She was NOT an Amtrak ticketed passenger - but sat with him all day until his train departure.
all right time for some serious beating for the old man in the chicago lounge.

I was bringing my mom who lived in thee suburbs to the Auto show. On return we missed the outbound train by like 5 minutes so we have to sit 2 hours for the next one. I have one of those AGR ClubAcela coupons that allows lounge access without a ticket.

That MOFO ask me do i have a ticket? i show him the pass said you don't need a ticket. He said *** is ClubAcela?

I walked out and bring my mom to French market and burn out the remaining wait time.

Wife and I have have used the Chicago Metro Lounge several dozen times over the past years and not once have we encountered a rude person at the front desk. I am sure that everyone has a bad day once in a while, but tagging the entire staff as discourteous is a bit overblown. Perhaps walking up to the desk with a smile and a good attitude is better than "I am important and take care of me NOW".. which I find to be the attitude of some people in line when we arrive. ;)

Back