Help! When do unpaid sleepers show up in Amtrak system?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi everyone.

About to embark on the first leg of my return trip home from Atlanta to Boston. In fact, I am sitting here now in the hotel lobby waiting a bit before going to the station. Ride down wasn't great -- 4 hours late -- due to 2 freight train derailments in NC and SC that made the Crescent late and then a bad storm that knocked branches down and took out the electricity in CT which made the Northeast Regional late.

My mom is riding back in my sleeper with me as far as Charlottesville and tomorrow morning early hopping off there and waiting for the Cardinal to take her back to Cincinnati.

A sleeper wasn't available on the Cardinal when she booked the ticket so we have been checking every day to see if one opens up and so far, none has.

She did have a stroke of luck on the outbound trip when one opened up about 3 hours before she was scheduled to leave Cincinnati so we are hoping for more luck.

Anyone have any idea when Amtrak releases the sleepers that were on hold but not paid for *OR* when cancellations occur? Neither of us will have internet access on the train so trying to figure out when would be a good time to check on the train tonight/tomorrow early morning before she gets into Charlottesville.

I will have email access for a few more hours so hopefully someone out in AUFland will read this and give me some good news! :)

Thanks!

--Jackie

ps: Had a chance to see up close and personal the damage that was caused to freight cars and railbed during the cleanup of one of the derailments. In fact, emergency personnel, rail personnel and all kinds of trucks were on the scene. There were a few cars stil sitting on their sides off the tracks and one car the had flipped completely over. Scary stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked now, and there are none for tomorrow, but there are for Sunday. I'm afraid the best you can hope for is an on board upgrade!
sad.gif

Highly unlikely. The Cardinal has very few revenue rooms. Just hope for the best, at least CVS-CIN isn't much too far without a Sleeper.

Accessible Bedrooms (H Room) are available for anyone to purchase within two weeks of departure, regardless if they have a mobility issue or not. However, these rooms do not show up on the website and are only available from an agent in person or over the phone.

There is only one H Room per car, so only one on the Cardinal.

There is no way of knowing when someone will cancel their room, but check more than once a day, since if something opens, someone will likely soon scoop it up.

Accessible Bedrooms (H Room) are available for anyone to purchase within two weeks of departure, regardless if they have a mobility issue or not. However, these rooms do not show up on the website and are only available from an agent in person or over the phone.
Incorrect!

The H-room does not show up online during the time period when it is available only to those who qualify for the room because of a disability. However, if and when it goes on sale to the general public it will show up online as a Bedroom for sale.

Incorrect!

The H-room does not show up online during the time period when it is available only to those who qualify for the room because of a disability. However, if and when it goes on sale to the general public it will show up online as a Bedroom for sale.
Do you have any idea of then this changed?

I know as recently as last month, I was trying to make a reservation and the website said "sold out" on the days I wanted to travel. When I called an agent, they said the only thing they had was an accessible room and they booked it for me.

Incorrect!

I know as recently as last month, I was trying to make a reservation and the website said "sold out" on the days I wanted to travel. When I called an agent, they said the only thing they had was an accessible room and they booked it for me.
How much did they charge you? Bed Room Price or Roomette?

Thanx

Incorrect!

How much did they charge you? Bed Room Price or Roomette?

Thanx
I was charged AGR points for a Bedroom

Incorrect!

It's been that way for at least 3 years, if not longer.

Unless you checked the day before the H-room was released to general inventory, I cannot explain why you didn't see it during a test booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back