help please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
near the Wellington avalanche site(NE of Seattle)
I'm trying to book a trip -either connecting in LA or going to San Diego (& have family pick us up/drop us off there) - can someone advise me on a clean safe hotel near these to stations & if given a choice would you go Coast Starlight to LAX - switch to Texas Eagle to Arizona -- or would you go to LAX switch to San Diego and drive a few hours (each way) to visit family over Christmas

I am new to this so please forgive me if I am not doing this correctly ----& THANKS for any help

Wanttoride

Hi,

I am not 100% sure about USA geography, as I live in the UK.. However, many longer distance Amtrak trains do run quite late, often by several hours.

I think the Coast Starlight is due to arrive in LAX at 9pm, so in case it runs late, it might be wise to plan on staying in LA. (Onward travel to San Diego might not be available so late?)

Hotels.com allows you to search for an hotel by choosing from the drop down menu "hotel near Amtrak station", but no doubt others will have personal recommendations.

Happy Christmas!

Ed B)

I'm trying to book a trip -either connecting in LA or going to San Diego (& have family pick us up/drop us off there) - can someone advise me on a clean safe hotel near these to stations & if given a choice would you go Coast Starlight to LAX - switch to Texas Eagle to Arizona -- or would you go to LAX switch to San Diego and drive a few hours (each way) to visit family over ChristmasI am new to this so please forgive me if I am not doing this correctly ----& THANKS for any help

Wanttoride
Hello, the people with the best answers probably won't answer until morning. That said, where are you starting, and where is the family you want to visit? You kind of imply that you are coming from the north and family is in southern Arizona. Is that right?

The nearest hotel in LA is Metro Plaza Hotel, about a block from the terminal. I haven't stayed there but walked the distance easily late at night about a month ago, just to see. Although not the best part of town, the walk is well-lit and I did not encounter anybody who made me uncomfortable. Here is a prior discussion about them: Metro Plaza

If you don't want to stay there, or want to travel that part of the coast in daylight, you can get off the Starlight in Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo, then take a Surfliner the next morning, either to LA or San Diego. There are quite a few places between a quarter and a third of a mile from the station in Santa Barbara. In San Luis Obispo, most hotels are a little further away but under a mile. I find that places that have an airport shuttle are happy to come to Amtrak, or I just hoof it for better viewing of interesting towns if I'm not carrying much.

San Diego also has several places under a quarter mile from the station.

Now, if I were in your shoes and deciding whether to drive or train a few hours, I'd get a one-way rental and take the train the other direction. If you ask, people in this forum will let you know which direction is better. On the driving part, I'd get off the interstate and explore all of those great parks and old towns down there. Also, I'm always there on the wrong day, but I understand Campo is worth a visit: Pacific Southwest Railway Museum

You mentioned that you are arriving arriving on the Coast Starlight. From where? :huh:

In addition to staying overnight in LA, you may want to consider stopping somewhere north of LA for the night (such as anywhere south of San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara). You can make a same day connection from there in LA to the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited.

And if you do stay in LA, you may want to consider the Metro Plaza Hotel. It is not a palace, but it is not a dump either. And it is a very easy 5 minute walk from Union Station. (I'm staying there myself next week.)

I'm trying to book a trip -either connecting in LA or going to San Diego (& have family pick us up/drop us off there) - can someone advise me on a clean safe hotel near these to stations & if given a choice would you go Coast Starlight to LAX - switch to Texas Eagle to Arizona -- or would you go to LAX switch to San Diego and drive a few hours (each way) to visit family over ChristmasI am new to this so please forgive me if I am not doing this correctly ----& THANKS for any help

Wanttoride
The Metro Plaza is OK, I've stayed there twice and found it clean and well maintained.

The late arrival time of the CS (and probably later) means a 2 - 3 block walk in the dark through one of LA's less desirable neighbourhoods but I've had no problems. You might have to step over a few homeless souls sleeping in the sidewalk (not kidding) but they're a peaceful bunch. Any other hotel will require a taxi ride to or from the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back