Help needed with Amtrak's Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone and thank you for the informative posts to date. It's starting to gel - especially since I have raked in the better half to help.
Henry - you've clarified the costs - as your "high Season" is the opposite to ours, it's a fine balancing act to get the lowest air fares to LA, as we will be right on the cusp of summer fares here and trying to avoid the US highest fares at the other end.

Thayer - we were going to fly back to LA and on to Tahiti from there, but as time isn't an issue (we're retired) going back on the Amtrak is a strong possiblilty. Not keen on flying on one of the domestic airlines!

We are wondering what is left of New Orleans after their tragic hurricane. Is it still worth visiting on the return trip? Or is there a scenic route that would be better to take?

Off to do a test booking.... :huh:
I can't speak for New Orleans since I haven't been there in ages, but it seems to be rebounding. If you want a really nice scenic ride, try #5 the California Zephyr from Chicago to Oakland, just across the bay form San Francisco. Other then the Canadian, I don't think there is a better ride in North America. But thats just my opinion and I happen to like Mountain railroading.
The California Zephyr doesn't go to/from Oakland. Its western endpoint is Emeryville (which is close to Oakland). A bus takes passengers to Oakland from Emeryville, and another (I believe) serves San Francisco.

Not sure if this thread is still active, but we have sorted a provisional itinerary, (subject to possible changes if necessary).

It's...

La to Frisco

Frisco to Chicago

Chicago to Buffalo

Buffalo to Niagara

Niagara to New york

NY to Tampa

Tampa to NP Richey (son) will include a visit ot Orlando to the theme parks

Tampa to Miami

Miami to New Orleans

N/Orl to Kansas City

Kansas City to Williams Jct (Canyon)

Williams to LA

WHEW! Though we will be staying over at places like 'Frisco, the Falls, NY etc which will give us time to catch our breath.

One question we have - does Amtrak have a "left luggage" depot at stations, or do we have to lug our suitcases everywhere?

Is it safe to be out on the streets of New York at night?

Cheers

Not sure if this thread is still active, but we have sorted a provisional itinerary, (subject to possible changes if necessary).
It's...

La to Frisco

Frisco to Chicago

Chicago to Buffalo

Buffalo to Niagara

Niagara to New york

NY to Tampa

Tampa to Miami

Miami to New Orleans

N/Orl to Kansas City

Williams to LA

WHEW! Though we will be staying over at places like 'Frisco, the Falls, NY etc which will give us time to catch our breath.

One question we have - does Amtrak have a "left luggage" depot at stations, or do we have to lug our suitcases everywhere?

Cheers
When in the San Francisco Bay Area NEVER call San Francisco "Frisco". It is "San Francisco" or "The City"

If you are checking bags, they'll hold it for a couple of day at the destination station without charge. Just don't pick it up, and come back for it when you are ready. Otherwise most stations with Baggage service (a lot of stations are not manned) will parcel check your bags for the day at $3/bag. Some smaller manned stations sometimes "forget" to charge you, but you can pretty much count on paying at major stations.

You know you for Miami - New Orleans you will have back track at least to Washington DC. The Sunset between New Orleans and Orlando hasn't run since Katrina and will probably not return anytime in the forseeable future.

Manhattan is fine at night. Surprisingly, I find New York one of the friendliest really big cities I have ever been in. Much more so than LA, for instance (speaking as a former native Southern Californian).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's...

La to Frisco

Frisco to Chicago

Chicago to Buffalo

Buffalo to Niagara

Niagara to New york

NY to Tampa

Tampa to Miami

Miami to New Orleans

N/Orl to Kansas City

Williams to LA

Cheers
Pretty nice trip around our country, I'm envious! The previous poster answered your questions but I'm curious about the NOL-Kansas City, KCY-Williams Jct. and Williams to LA. Do yall plan to ride the City of New Orleans to CHI, then take the Southwest Chief to KCY, spend some time, then catch the SWC to Williams and go see the Grand Canyon, then continue on to LA on the SWC? If so you are aware that there is no station there, the van driver will wait for the train since it rolls in in the dark. You could stay in Flagstaffd which is a real city and has transportation to/from the canyon and a staffed station for the SWC. Ill restate what the previous poster said, New York is a pretty safe place long as you stick to the major tourist areas and follow the advice of your hotel staff and if they speak English your taxi drivers! :lol: Let us know if you want any suggestions or have questions about any of the cities or sights, lots of knowledge here as you know! Jim

It's...

La to Frisco

Frisco to Chicago

Chicago to Buffalo

Buffalo to Niagara

Niagara to New york

NY to Tampa

Tampa to Miami

Miami to New Orleans

N/Orl to Kansas City

Williams to LA

Cheers
Pretty nice trip around our country, I'm envious! The previous poster answered your questions but I'm curious about the NOL-Kansas City, KCY-Williams Jct. and Williams to LA. Do yall plan to ride the City of New Orleans to CHI, then take the Southwest Chief to KCY, spend some time, then catch the SWC to Williams and go see the Grand Canyon, then continue on to LA on the SWC? If so you are aware that there is no station there, the van driver will wait for the train since it rolls in in the dark. You could stay in Flagstaffd which is a real city and has transportation to/from the canyon and a staffed station for the SWC. Ill restate what the previous poster said, New York is a pretty safe place long as you stick to the major tourist areas and follow the advice of your hotel staff and if they speak English your taxi drivers! :lol: Let us know if you want any suggestions or have questions about any of the cities or sights, lots of knowledge here as you know! Jim
Jim they have to get off in Williams Jct. if they want to ride the Grand Canyon RR to the park. There is a nice hotel there run by the railroad as well as other motels within walking distance of the GCRR depot. The GCRR has numerous packages you can purchase so I presume they did that. I checked out Amtrak's route selection for Miami to New Orleans and they run you through Raleigh where you connect with the Carolinian to Charlotte and then the Crescent. It's an all day wait in Raleigh and a 2:45AM connection in Charlotte. I think I would rather connect in DC. On the NOL to KC route one option is the bus connection at Carbondale to St Louis in the wee hours. That doesn't appeal to me, but if you are riding coach maybe it would as you can't sleep anyway and it would put you into KC in the afternoon rather than late at night.

Your route sounds fantastic! I have travelled to alot of places in this country (alot of them by amtrak) and will say New Orleans is one of my favorite cities. It can be whatever you want it to. Sure there is alot of partying done there but there is soooo much more. The zoo, the wwII musuem, cafe du monde for biegnets, sitting on the Miss watching the river traffic go by, the french quarter, the streetcars, Mardi gras world across the river via the free ferry, jazz, voodoo, and especially the food. You will enjoy.

Of all the train trips I have done the CZ is the most scenic crosss country route. Niagra falls is nice but I would advise you to go to the Canadian side, much nicer in my opinion. Don't know if anyone mentioned it here yet but after you book your tickets and accommodations, keep checking back to see if the prices fall. We have twice gotten a full bedroom for ten dollars above the roomette price, don't know if it was a mistake or not but amtrak honored the reservation and price. This after we had allready booked. There is no change fee as in airlines.

We have also shipped our luggage via amtrak to a station days in advance of our arrival, we went from MA to Seattle and although I was concerned our bags wouldn't be there, they were. As long as you have a through ticket your bags can go ahead as long as it is a manned station.

Also by booking a sleeper you have access to the first class lounges in Chicago, and New York where you can store luggage for a period of time. I think New Orleans also has one but not too sure on that. If by any chance you can get to Union Station in Washington DC for a segment with a layover, you will see what a train station should be. Keep an eye out on the Crescent for the Capitol building just as you leave the yard, also some other monuments near DC.

I am jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back