Help Chasing Down a Heritage Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your best option for eating a meal in a Budd car is the Amfleet 1 & 2 cafes.
Or the PPC on the Coast Starlight, if they are still running....
default_smile.png

I think there is something of a distinction between "classic" Budd of the cars produced up through, say, the early 60s and the Amfleets. They are both Budd built equiptment, but I think there is more interest in eating a classic era diner or lounge.

For that, the options are a PPC or Via's Canadian.

I think there is something of a distinction between "classic" Budd of the cars produced up through, say, the early 60s and the Amfleets. They are both Budd built equiptment, but I think there is more interest in eating a classic era diner or lounge.

For that, the options are a PPC or Via's Canadian.
Or PVs on Dinner and Tourist Trains.

For that, the options are a PPC or Via's Canadian.Tr
Or PVs on Dinner and Tourist Trains.
True.

As much as I like the PPC, it is not a "classic diner", but rather, started it's life as a coffee shop/lounge car for Santa Fe's Hi-Level coach streamliner, "El Capitan".

There was the "Kachina Coffee Shop" on the lower level, and a "Top o' The Cap" glass top lounge on the upper level, along with a bar, newstand, and bedrooms for the dining car steward, and the 'Courier Nurse' on some.

They also had a 12 wheel Hi-Level dining car on that train, all of which have been retired.

Amtrak has done a great job repurposing the car into its current iteration as a diner-lounge for sleeping car passengers on the Coast Starlight....

Back