Help a first time cross-country traveler :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

getbent

Train Attendant
Hi all!

I will be traveling at the end of this month with my seven-year-old. Our trip goes as follows:

DEN-CHI- coach

CHI-BOS- roomette

My list of questions:

1. Will our checked baggage go from train to train in Chicago without our involvement?

2. I think our sleeper status on the LSL allows us to check bags in the Chicago lounge, right?

3. We're planning on leaving the station, heading down Jackson St. to get Giordano's and see the Sears/Willis Tower. Is that all doable? My kid is up for the walk.

4. We'll get into BOS around 10:30 (Amtrak willing). We are staying at a hotel near the airport that offers a free shuttle from the airport. Is Silver Line on MBTA easy to navigate? Are there taxis hanging around BOS all hours of the night?

5. Most importantly- will we get dessert twice on the LSL? :)

Thank you! I've really enjoyed reading the forums so far. I've had a lot of other questions answered.

1. YES - and Amtrak hasn't learned how to lose luggage like the airlines

2. ABSOLUTELY - The Lounge is through the door behind the Amtrak Information Counter and once you check in, Baggage storage is right behind you. I usually tip a buck a bag.

3. MAYBE - Depending on the day and weather the lines for the Skydeck can go around the block. Giordano's is the next block east on Jackson across the street. At lunch they have Personal Pizzas already cooked and ready to go. YUM!

5. Probably just once with your Lunch. The Boston Section gets a pre-packaged Lounge Car Meal and I do not know right off hand is dessert is included. But you do get Cheese and Grapes in the Diner just before departing CHI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!

#4 Yes, the Silver Line is easy to navigate. As you walk into South Station from the LSL, walk straight through the waiting area, as you see the doors onto Summer St, head down the stairs/escalator in the center. Walk straight ahead to the Charlie Card vending machine. Add $5 if you are just heading to the airport ($2.50/person), or more if you plan to use the T to get around Boston. Once you have your Charlie Ticket, pass through the fare gates, walk forward and then to your left you will see another set of stairs and escalators. The SIlver Line is down one flight, the Red Line Subway is below that.

I believe there are signs for the Shuttle buses once you reach Logan Airport. I cannot say for certain as I have never stayed at the Airport (I live near Boston).

Yes there are Taxis at South Station. As you walk from the LSL, once you reach the end of the track, turn to your left and walk by the other tracks. As you pass Track One, pass through the opening, down the stairs, or ramp if you prefer, and the Taxi Stand is right there.

#5 There is a dessert offering with the Cafe Car supper. Remember, if you do not care for either meal option, you may order from the standard Cafe Menu.

Enjoy your visit to Boston!

Mike

I am sure you have gotten this advice from other threads, but one thing people forget is to bring blankets and pillows for each of you for your coach trip. Also, when you are in coach, put your seven-year-old in the window seat, put the leg rests all the way up flat and they can sleep on that. Also, put your let rest all the way up at night with something under it if you think they will crawl under while you are sleeping, that way you will be able to sleep knowing that they have crawl over you to get out. Much better sleep knowing they are safe.

edited to clarify for the coach part of the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sears/Willis Tower is 1 block from Union Station out the Wells Street exit and across the bridge on the left side of the street. Giordano's is 1 1/2 blocks from Union Station out the Jackson Street exit and across the bridge, on the right side of the street. It is also 1 1/2 blocks from the Sears/Willis Tower, on the same side of the River.

I've never taken the LSL to Boston, but if it's like the dinner box on the EB out of Portland, there is a desert included! :)

As far as your checked bags, yes they will be transferred in Chicage for you between trains. And unlike airlines, I can guarantee they will not "accidently" be put on a train to Tokyo, Hong Kong or Rio! :giggle:

As far as your checked bags, yes they will be transferred in Chicage for you between trains. And unlike airlines, I can guarantee they will not "accidently" be put on a train to Tokyo, Hong Kong or Rio! :giggle:
No, but they can forget to put them on the train like they did when I left Eugene for Tacoma. I had to wait until the next day when I got to Seattle via the Sounder to pick up my bag when it arrived on the next days CS.

Yes, you get dessert with dinner on the Albany/Boston section. When I was on it last December, the dinner selection was a choice of two different hot meals, with a choice of two desserts (ours was either ice cream or peanut butter chocolate torte, and I can tell you the torte was so good I had it on the retur trip, too!). Our sleeper attendant served us in the back section of the cafe car. Not at all the same as the PDX section of the Empire Builder, where the dessert was just pre-packaged with the tray meal. But equally good!

Thank you all so much!

We've been planning to bring blankets and a very compact sleeping bag. We've been thinking that we might be able to put the kiddo on the floor (he's almost 8 and very well behaved, so no worries about him terrorizing a sleeping car :) ). Will anyone frown on that? (germs aside, of course).

Once again, this is awesome info! I feel much better about the silver line option, which is much cheaper than a taxi. Thank you! Thank you!

If it's just the 2 of you, there are 2 berths (upper and lower) in the Roomette. The upper berth has netting to stop you from "falling out of bed"! And on the LSL, unlike the Superliner you'll be on west of Chicago, the upper berth has a window also. Please do not use the floor for sleeping!

Sorry- I meant for the coach portion of the trip. We are most definitely looking to spread out and sleep horizontally in the roomette!

Another quick question- is getting off the train in Omaha a smart move to get some water and get back on, or is it best to stay put?

Another quick question- is getting off the train in Omaha a smart move to get some water and get back on, or is it best to stay put?
By the time the Zephyr reaches Omaha it usually is Late and the Stop isnt all that Long!(you can step off to stretch your Legs and/or Smoke but I wouldnt leave Trainside as they say!) The Amshak in Omaha isnt anything to write home about, I wouldnt bother to go into the Station @ All! If it has Vending Machines the Prices are probbably close to what you would pay in the Cafeteria Car or Diner for Bottled Water so Id just buy it on the train! You do know that Potable water is available in the Coaches even if it isnt the Tastiest thing this side of the Rockies?? Take your Food and Beverages on in Denver, it will be Healthier, save you Money and Taste Better too! ;)

Without looking at the schedule, I'm not sure if Omaha is an extended stop. If not, the stop can only be like 30 seconds. Even if it is, if the train has a scheduled (say) 15 minute stop but is running late, as soon as all work is done, they will leave with or without you! That "15 minute" stop may turn out to be only 4 minutes!

Unless the train is early, I would not leave from the side of the train.

What about visitors before the train leaves? Can someone board with you to look around and get off, obviously, before the train leaves?

My niece and grand-nephew are bringing me to the station and it would be cool if they could get a short tour, the boy is all about trains, but I can't find any info on that.

If not, any advice/info about how to make dropping off The Olde Auntie exciting for him?

It will be the Fort Worth station/Texas Eagle.

I remember the thrill when DFW airport was new, and going in the family station wagon to pick up my Grandmother.

It wasn't near the busy mess it is now. ugh.

Fort Worth is long scheduled stop (over 1 hour), crew change point and I believe refueling stop. Be there before the train arrives and ask the car's attendant and/or conductor. If the train is not too late and there's time, I believe they may let you. But then again, they may have to rush (because the train is late), and they may say no. One time I was on the Eagle and got off because it was a 20 minute stop. I met another AU member on the platform just to say hi. Very shortly after the door I exited (I was next to the train!) closed. I had to use another car to get on. Long story short - I almost missed the train I was on! Total stop time was under 5 minutes.

Fort Worth is long scheduled stop (over 1 hour), crew change point and I believe refueling stop. Be there before the train arrives and ask the car's attendant and/or conductor. If the train is not too late and there's time, I believe they may let you. But then again, they may have to rush (because the train is late), and they may say no. One time I was on the Eagle and got off because it was a 20 minute stop. I met another AU member on the platform just to say hi. Very shortly after the door I exited (I was next to the train!) closed. I had to use another car to get on. Long story short - I almost missed the train I was on! Total stop time was under 5 minutes.
Yikes! That's cutting it too close for my comfort!!

Thanks, we'll give it a shot. If not, I'm sure he'll get a big kick out of the local rapid transit lines running through that station. He's 3, so his expectations won't be THAT high :)

I highly recommend calling Giordano's in advance if you plan to order a deep dish pizza. :) They take approx 40-45 minutes to bake, depending on toppings. Let them know what time you plan to arrive, and they'll put the pizza in the oven about 20-30 minutes before your reservation so you don't have to wait too long.

I also recommend a FastPass for the Sears Tower, depending on the time of day and your layover (plus however long the pizza will take). I've been there on days where the average wait time was just over an hour. The Sears Tower is *extremely* popular.

If the wait time is too long, head north on Michigan Ave (you can catch a bus - it's two miles north) and go to the Hancock Building. The views are just as spectacular, and the wait time is cut by 50-75%. I've always been in the first or second group, and I've never waited longer than 20 minutes, even on busy days. You won't get the Ledge experience, but the views are absolutely gorgeous, especially since it's right on the lake and next to Lake Shore Drive.

By the time the Zephyr reaches Omaha it usually is Late and the Stop isnt all that Long!(you can step off to stretch your Legs and/or Smoke but I wouldnt leave Trainside as they say!) The Amshak in Omaha isnt anything to write home about, I wouldnt bother to go into the Station @ All! If it has Vending Machines the Prices are probbably close to what you would pay in the Cafeteria Car or Diner for Bottled Water so Id just buy it on the train! You do know that Potable water is available in the Coaches even if it isnt the Tastiest thing this side of the Rockies?? Take your Food and Beverages on in Denver, it will be Healthier, save you Money and Taste Better too! ;)
Thanks! I think I'll pick up one of those Brita water bottles and stay on the train. It's better than trying to be alert at 5AM (when my body will think it's 4AM!). We've got our healthy snacks picked out and ready to go.

Two hardest parts of this trip?

1. Trying to figure out how to pack so that we're ready to fly home at the end.

2. Waiting for it to happen!

I highly recommend calling Giordano's in advance if you plan to order a deep dish pizza. :) They take approx 40-45 minutes to bake, depending on toppings. Let them know what time you plan to arrive, and they'll put the pizza in the oven about 20-30 minutes before your reservation so you don't have to wait too long.
I also recommend a FastPass for the Sears Tower, depending on the time of day and your layover (plus however long the pizza will take). I've been there on days where the average wait time was just over an hour. The Sears Tower is *extremely* popular.

If the wait time is too long, head north on Michigan Ave (you can catch a bus - it's two miles north) and go to the Hancock Building. The views are just as spectacular, and the wait time is cut by 50-75%. I've always been in the first or second group, and I've never waited longer than 20 minutes, even on busy days. You won't get the Ledge experience, but the views are absolutely gorgeous, especially since it's right on the lake and next to Lake Shore Drive.
Excellent! I'd been wondering if I could call ahead. I was in Chicago in spring of 2012 and I remembered that the pizza took 40 minutes, but was worth it. Thank you for this advice.

Good advice on the Hancock building. Having visited Chicago in the frigid depths of February, the SkyDeck has no wait and we walked right in. I imagine summer isn't quite as forgiving, but I have my fingers crossed for weekdays being less crowded.

We went to the skydeck the Sunday before Thanksgiving in 2011 after getting off the Captial Limited and checking our bags into the lounge. There was a line, but not bad. We skipped the "movie" and got on the elevator with no line that I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back