Heartland Flyer stays on track

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From Purcell, OK Register, 6/2/05:

Purcell, OK -- “I see that train a coming, a rolling down the tracks,” will be the case for the Heartland Flyer for at least another year.
Under the provisions of House Bill 1078, the Heartland Flyer will receive a $2 million appropriation in 2006 and $2 million each year thereafter.
This is where you can read the full story.

That's good news. I'll ride the HF for the first time in late July and August. I'd still like to see it continue through Wichita to Newton. That would be such a convienient way to get to Dallas/Ft.Worth.

They probably should extend it to a Dallas endpoint instead of Fort Worth. That would tap a major city's population base. True there is commuter rail service between the two cities. But it is sporadic, and it doesn't run on Sundays. One seat rides are more attractive.

While Fort Worth is no small city itself, ending the train there is like having the Silver Star end in Trenton, NJ and making passengers for New York take NJ TRANSIT the rest of the way. :p

Back