Hats off to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
The weekly specials have come back to life. Never have seen such a variety of choices ever (e.g. NYP-Albany). Thank you Amtrak for the B-12 shot to this list :cool:

With the downturn in the economy, and subsequent loss in ridership, Amtrak is offering bargains to boost ridership and fill those empty seats.

I too find the specials vastly improved. I just wish there was one I could buy for an Ohio train! :lol: Like that will ever happen...

I too find the specials vastly improved. I just wish there was one I could buy for an Ohio train! :lol: Like that will ever happen...
ALC,

Had8ley never thought he'd see the day when the Crescent was on a special either....

ALC,

Had8ley never thought he'd see the day when the Crescent was on a special either....
It was on special back in 2005 pretty good. I paid $30 bucks each way for a trip from ATL to NOL on weekly special tickets. Right now its only down to $43.50 for the return and if you can get low bucket ticket for the trip down it is $58.

ALC,

Yeah you're right! The CONO to Greenwood is a new one on me also...now all we have to do is either get an Ohio cheap ticket for ALC or shut me up with an eastbound train out of NOL. Any guesses as to which may happen first ???

ALC,

Yeah you're right! The CONO to Greenwood is a new one on me also...now all we have to do is either get an Ohio cheap ticket for ALC or shut me up with an eastbound train out of NOL. Any guesses as to which may happen first ???
They'll never shut me up so my money is on you! :lol:

I'm totally confused now...the rules say you can't buy the tickets until Tuesday and you can't travel on Fridays or Sundays. Kinda restrictive for some one who works or doesn't have the time during the week. Don't understand why tickets can't be bought only from Tuesday through Friday?

I'm totally confused now...the rules say you can't buy the tickets until Tuesday and you can't travel on Fridays or Sundays. Kinda restrictive for some one who works or doesn't have the time during the week. Don't understand why tickets can't be bought only from Tuesday through Friday?
Maybe they're actively trying to target people who will travel on days the train isn't as busy and are trying to screen out the business travelers who travel on days the train is more heavily loaded.

My guess is that they got somebody doing all this manually. On Mondays this person loads the tickets and Tue-Fri they monitor it to manually cut it off when the number of seats are sold. Then on Sat-Sun they shut it down since the person is not working. Just a guess.

My guess is that they got somebody doing all this manually. On Mondays this person loads the tickets and Tue-Fri they monitor it to manually cut it off when the number of seats are sold. Then on Sat-Sun they shut it down since the person is not working. Just a guess.
I would agree-- I heard rumors that Amtrak is taking greater steps towards a proper RMS, this is a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back